1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slap shooters - doubles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

I tried experimenting with slap shooting today. I don't find it very difficult to convert from regular shooting and see benefits.

I was curious about shooting doubles. Do shooters who slap shoot at singles and handicap also use it for doubles? If so do you do it for both shots?

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Can you explain what a Slap shooter is and how it's done?

Thanks,
    Ajax

3. glenns

glenns Member

Slap shooting explanation from "Trap Shooting Secrets" by James Russell.

Chapter 4, page 40: "I had a dilemma of randomly pulling the trigger when the proper bird to bead relationship did not exist. To control this flinch I keep my finger out of the trigger cage and slowly bring the trigger finger onto the trigger once I see the target. Some call this 'slap shooting,' but it worked for me and others too. In fact those who shoot release triggers are doing the same thing, instantaneously slapping the trigger outward, but with aggrandized costly remedy... With your finger off the trigger it helps you get deeper into the target (lead) for clean center hits, reducing short-shooting behind the target."

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Mr. Russell has returned. I wonder how good he is at Reading the Breaks? HMB

5. racer

racer TS Member

Try keeping your eyes closed after calling for target, I've never flinched using this method- Dan

6. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

What the hell is slap shooting and why should do it? Second thought, forget it.

7. TM1

TM1 Member

All I can say is HOLY Sxxx! Talking about opening and welcoming the FLINCH MONSTER.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The title should read, "Slap shooters - who read Trap Shooting Secrets by James Russell".

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

glenns, not in the fashion that Russell desceibes but Leo, I and Britt could be described as slapping the trigger. Between us we have shot alot of targets and neither have gone to a release. But Iam weakening. Yes we use it for doubles as well.

10. glenns

glenns Member

Why so such animosity towards James Russell?

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They are just jealous. HMB

12. pullll

pullll Member

Glenn, Russell is a great primer for new shooters. Some things can be dismissed after a few years of shooting.

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

there is nothing "slapping" about with the motion of letting go of a release. It is smooth predictable and consistant

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know that I slap the trigger but I do start with my finger on the edge of the trigger guard when I call pull. I don't really think about it but when I am ready to fire the trigger finger gets on the trigger and bang.

This is the way I have always fired shotguns and pistols and if there was any training to it my guess is that it came from the handgun shooting. I don't know that this is a cure or preventative for flinching but I'm haven't felt the need to go to a release trigger (yet)

I bounce between A and AA class doubles so obviously I haven't mastered the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.