1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Slander law suite?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by goosecall, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Slander law suit?

I have been warned of a slanderous law suit of some accusations I made on another forum. Can this be done, and if so what are the actual charges? A business associate of a relative borrowed from a company, then started another business. I wrote about it on a open forum, and he is now threatening a law suit. 10Tenner

2. cls

cls Member

If you put it in writing I think it would be considered "liable". Slander would apply if the slam was oral. Beyond that you'll need to hear from a real lawyer (I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express suite last night...) cls

PS: I think you mean "suit"

3. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

It is never slander if it is true. TheFew

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I believe there has to be some sort of damage for redress to take place.

If the individual you flamed can prove he was harmed by your actions He might have a case.

Without knowing the particulars I might be doubtful.

HM

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

10Tenner- You absolutely can be sued for comments on the net. The suit would be based on defamation, probably slander.

Filing a suit is easy, winning a suit is harder. You could possibly be successfully defended by a good lawyer and it might only cost you a few thousand dollars.

Pat Ireland

6. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

As stated, if what you stated was true, it's an absolute defense but it will cost some $$$ to get the defense in shape for a summary judgment motion.

7. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

Chauncy, not a troll, will know here shortly if he bluffing, if he is not it is obvious that I will have to get a attorney. I new there would be some here with legal experience. 10tenner

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You can absolutely sue someone for libel perpetrated on the internet. There are certain requirements that need to be met in order for the suit to be successful. An attorney who is well-versed in libel is the only person whose answers to your question would have any validity.

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Be careful what you put into writing, even on electronic media. If you work for a company, you and the company may be subject to litigation.

Libel and slander are hard to prove but, given enough money, or hurt pride, it can be done.

It pays to be nice.

Ed Ward

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Keep in mind the only winner is almost always the attorneys. And like has been stated the truth is not slander. As my first statement may not be liked by attorneys but it is the truth. Even when given bad advice by an attorney they do not loose they simply get to charge you more to get you out of the deeper hole they helped dig. It's a win win for for them.

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

so don't nobody be callin me a trapshooter!! I shoot at targets but hit very few. mark

12. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

By your original post..It sounds like you "wrote" the truth. That is NOT slander. I wouldn't worry about it at all ..."If you wrote the TRUTH".

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Slander is spoken, libel is written.

The only defense to either is fact. If you have spoken/written facts, then you are not libel in court. You may have to go to court to prove your innocence, but the you can counter sue for damages too.

IMHO.

Whiz

14. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

You mean everything on the internet isn't true?

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Whiz- your position "Slander is spoken, libel is written" is almost true. But, writing something on the sidewalk in chalk is slander. Writing something on the net, in a conversational mode, would most likely be slander. Saying something on television, on a record or in a movie would be liable. Lawyers have ways to make simple concepts very confusing. You need to consider the terms permanent and transitory when considering slander v. liable.

Pat Ireland

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Is it slander to be called a skeet shooter in conversation? What if you can prove you don't shoot skeet?

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Re-read orginal post. Business associate of a relative. Repeating hearsay could get you in trouble as you don't really know if it is the truth or not. You may have broken the trust of whomever told you and maybe this info was supposed to be confidential. Yes you could have your butt in a sling.

Don

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Threats are as harmless as the person making them ... I would not lose any sleep over this persons threats until you get a notice to appear, which I'm betting you will not ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Take him duck hunting...

Curt

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

You can sue for damages caused by slander but you also have to be able to prove that damage, in terms of dollars, has resulted because of the slander. You could spread the rumor that I am a great trap shooter. That would be a false statement, but before I could file a suit against you, I would have to prove monetary damages. I might come up with the idea that your false statements would raise my price in a Calcutta, but since this is an illegal activity, that would not have much standing in Court.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.