1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sl900 help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Advocate33, May 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Advocate33

Advocate33 TS Member

I recently purchased a Dillon sl900 reloader, in fact, from this forum. For the most part loading Rem 12 ga green STS hulls. On an average of about 1 in 50 the wad guide will not return completely over the hull so that the wad will catch on the side of the hull and tear. Now you have a wad full of shot stuck. You can't go up because of the wad fingers and you can't go down because the hull is in the way. If you try to return the handle the carriage wants to turn but can't so you end up pushing and pulling here and there until you finally free the wad usually with shot all over the place.

Couple of questions -- can you raise the wad guide a tiny bit to allow it to fully return so that it does not brush the top of the hull? When it does glitch, is there a way to unhook the shell plate so that you can lower it without its turning. That would at least allow a cleaner removal of the wad.

Finally, using 700X, the powder measure manages to leak a few grains of powder after it dispenses into the hull and before the next one moves into place. Not all the time but enough to be annoying. Any ideas to stop it? Thanks for any help.

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your shell plate may be a little out of time. Call the factory and have them help you adjust it. Try Claybuster wads. They have a slight angle on the bottom to make insertion easer. STS or Nitro shells as they get older and burnt at the mouth start bending in at the petals making it easer to catch a crimp with the wad on insertion. If the petals are not soft when you stick a finger in the mouth, trash them. The shells will last forever but the mouth will be hard, brittle, and burnt. That may be the main problem. Make sure you don't have any squished lead inferring with the centering of the wad arm or internal spring. Put some lightweight oil on the wad guide arm and insertion device.

Leaking a little powder is an issue you'll have to put up with unless you go with a larger powder. I like Clays for no leakage. PB, 7625 or any ball powder is the worst for leaking.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

FYI

STS/Nitro hulls sometimes have an odd longer hull. I experience the same thing with my Pacific loaders. When I notice one close to or hitting my wad guide, I remove it and toss it. The 2nd reload and all after I never have issues as I've weeded them out. I don't own a Dillon so I have no idea if this is your problem or not. Just Say'n............

4. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Also you might check that your wad guide is truly centered over the hull. you can adjust that with the little stop set screw in the ear on the table below wad guide arm.

Make sure you have not ripped a finger out of the plastic wad guide also, just to be sure.

5. quartering

quartering Active Member

just pop the pin on the wad arm assy and everything will slide out nice and neat. skip customizing the wad holder in the swing arm. look at being clean and lubed on the wad holder and at the pin assy. especially if you're having powder leakage-that'll gum things up. also, the little torsion spring that returns the arm does get weaker over time and may need replacing. good luck with it

6. warren

warren Member

The factory is very good about helping and furnishing new parts free of charge but be very carefull trying to go back on that loader that's the way I got double powder charges on mine, you should double check your powder load on all of them that may be suspect.

warren

7. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

I would call or email Dillon, I load metallic on Dillon loaders and the customer service is great, I think this warrants a call for help.

Doug

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

I had this same thing happen with my Dillon but it was so long ago I can't remember the fix but I am fairly sure it had to with the plastic wad guide. They need replacement from time to time and yours may be at that point. Dillon has one tech support guy who is their resident expert on these machines but they're all good. Can't help you with the powder but Dillon can surely help there too.

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When I load the STS NITRO 27 & Gun Club hulls I get a DISTINCT LOUD CLICK when the wad is being inserted, using my MEC 9000 Loader.

Has always done it. Wads are going in TIGHT larger base on the wads.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Advocate33

Advocate33 TS Member

Thank you all for your help. Putting a dab of light weight oil on the piece that holds the wad fingers so that it slides easier seemed to be the most help. For some reason it must allow it to go just a little higher so that it no longer hits the top of the hull on the way in or on the way out. Now, the biggest hassle in the powder leakage. I went from 700X to SR7625 and SR7625 being much finer it leaks worse but I will put up with it. Every so often you just have to vacuum it up.

11. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Two things I learned on this site , use a slower steady pull stroke with a slight pause at the bottom then seat primer , after filling powder cylinder put a dryer sheet over the top then install cap . I struggled with excess powder for awhile using Greendot but these two actions solved the issue for me , Good Luck Jay

12. higun

higun Member

Do you have part #13921 installed? It is the "powder measure plug" and you will get powder leakage without it.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

That part, "13921" doesn't stay in place well on mine, so I use a piece of masking tape.

14. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

What Advocate 33 and quartering said. Gary Boyd is the guru of the sl900 at Dillon. He'll be glad to answer any questions or concerns you have with the reloader. Joe

15. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

The wad guide assembly can get gummed up after a while. The oil added helped but I find it best to clean it really good and then oil.

16. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

I talked with the good folks at Dillon regarding the powder leakage problem and was given a good tip. Take out the powder expander funnel (#16746) and look through the powder drop hole in it. Some were apparently machined with a rough internal finish which allows powder to catch inside and then get jarred loose when the handle is lifted to rotate the shell plate and insert the primer in the hull just advanced to station 2. I'm in the process of polishing mine (hard metal) and hoping this will cure my problem.

Pat

17. Advocate33

Advocate33 TS Member

Good tip. Will try it. Thnaks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
dillon sl900 powder leakage
dillon sl900 wad guide

dillon sl900 wad swing arm adjustment

how to put the spring back on dillion 900 wad arm
remingting gun club crimps on dillon sl900