1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skunks took over the porch!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kgp912kgp, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

After reading about some porcupines in someone's barn I felt bad for them. Then as the weekend rolled around we started to smell skunk round the house. I was only hoping that they were in the barn but up until Monday night we found out where they were, under our closed in porch.

I want to ask if anyone has any way to rid the porch and possibly under the house of these stanky critters??

I have a nice box of 6's loaded up but then the smell would be worse than is already. I have tried the noise box but it doesn't seem to want to work.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!!!!!

PEEEEUUUUWWWWWWW!!!!!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Don't shoot the bastards anywhere close to your house. They will spray no matter where you hit them. I was told a head shot will kill them and they won't spray as they die instantly. Trust me when I say that was BS as it didn't work. The thing was 6ft from my back patio and it sprayed the instant the bullet dropped him. It took nearly 3 months for the smell to disapate.

3. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

What else can I do??? I'm going nuts and the wife is ready to move back home with here parents (although that wouldn't be all bad) BUT... I got to get rid of em.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Lure the thing far enough away from your house somehow and then dispatch of the thing. I know they are scavengers so perhaps some sort of bait. Send "Brian In Oregon" from here a PM. I bet he can help.

5. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

That might work baiting and trapping them but the damn coyotes will got to the turkey carcass within an hour an a half on New Years Day. I gota try something.

6. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Not getting me to crawl under the house with them!!!! That'd be a set up. I don't think I could circle around them too fast on all 4's...

7. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Google "skunk repellent". Ron

8. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Fox piss?? I may give the porch a good spray of fox pee pee. Don't know where in town it is sold but got to try. Anyone have pointers or experience???

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I used a medium catcum alive trap and then transported them a down the road in the back of my truck. I remember years ago waking up and hearing a metallic banging sound outside, I turned the light on and seen a skunk out back that got into a plastic trash bag and he had a Campbell's soup can stuck over his head. In my area I have more problems with racoons then skunks.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Set the bait out far down wind from the house and a temp shooting bench far enough away and hidden for that 223 you have to zap anything obliging enough to come to the dinner bell ; )

11. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Almost fill a 30 gallon or larger barrel with water and cover the top with newspaper. Put a plank up one side so the skunk can crawl up it. Place a trail of bait such as bacon bits or small bits of tuna up the plank and out onto the paper. The skunk will walk up the plank and step onto the paper to get the last piece of bait. When it falls through the paper it may swim but usually they sink. If it is still swimming dispatch it with a .22. Make sure there is enough free board so the skunk can't crawl up and over the edge of the barrel.

12. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

If where they are at is not vented some how into your house, I have used a box of mothballs scattered on the ground under my porch to get rid of raccoons. I imagine it will work with a skunk and the vapors dissipate after a while. It all depends on how close they are to your front door, up wind or not and how large your area is.

CM

13. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Have you tried putting a bunch of moth balls in a mesh bag and putting them under the porch. You may need several bags depending on the size of your porch. The reason for the mesh bag is to allow you to retrieve the moth balls after the skunk has left. Otherwise you will be smelling moth balls for several weeks. A good heavy dose of ammonia, from a spray bottle set to put out a stream, with the moth balls may help also.

Oh to save someone the trouble of being a cut up, Yea its awful hard to tell the girl moths from the boy moths. When you have found the boys, getting their ba}}s needs a real sharp knife, good eyes and a steady hand.

14. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

When I was much younger my brothers and I would track skunks back to their dens and trap them on purpose. We tried every method known to us, including some from the old A.R. Harding trapping books, to dispatch skunks without spray. None worked and some actually got them to release all of their essence.
    While there are several methods to knock down the odor on a dead skunk so you can skin, flesh and stretch them, I was never able to discover one to prevent them from spraying. There used to be a kit that was sold to kill skunks without spraying, but I believe that it was taken off the market. It involved injecting sodium pentobarbital into the skunks chest via a syringe attached to a 6 foot pole. This was used by trappers who would then extract the essence which has a ready market.

If it was my porch that had skunks living under it, I would lure them all out and then block up the entrance to prevent them from getting back under. You will be doing this at night; this is when skunks are most active.They will be forced to look elsewhere for new digs. Do it now before the skunks have their young. Good Luck.

15. skeezix

skeezix Member

Live trap - can of tunafish for bait - couple of small wood dowels across the trap to keep their tail from coming up (make sure the dowles don't interfere with the door! Garbage can full of water. Catch the critter in the live trap, drop into garbage can - repeat as often as req'd.

We used a 'large' trap which works fine for adults - juvenilles - not so good. Thats how we learned to put a couple of dowels across the trap to stop the little buggers from being able to raise their tail.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    12ga and clothespins for your nose.

17. mark54

mark54 Member

A game protector friend of ours told us when he wanted to catch a skunk he would take an empty 5 gal bucket & lay it on it's side where the skunk could see it. The skunk ran in, thinking it was a hole. Then he would set it up & cover it with his coat & take it & put it in his trunk & take it away to release it. I don't think I would use my coat. He said he never had a problem.

mark54 in Lititz

18. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Skunks hate light, get 1 or 2 of the 500 watt work lights that Lowes sell. Flood the area with light and mothballs, the skunks will leave as you have created an uncomfortable environment. Also some cayene or red chili powder sprinkled on the obvious trails will help.

19. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Simple as putting some rags around the porch saturated with household ammonia.
    They think it stinks worse than they do, I learned this from a trapper/pest eliminator.
    Dave B

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

One close up the hole and or door way the skunks are using. That you have to do at night once you know they are out for the night.

Anothing thing throw mothballs under your porch. They don't like mothballs. Other then that start shooting. To keep them from spraying shoot them in the head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.