1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

skunked dog

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

question for you dog/hunter people What works to get skunk smell off dogs? I know the best is red clay mud but is there something that works and not as messy rick

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Messy, yes but it works: a bath in tomato juice. Really.

3. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

This was on the news many years ago and it works. It was discovered by a chemist from Baxter Labs. This is the way I use it. I keep at least a gallon of peroxide on hand because we have a big skunk problem. <br>
    2 quarts Hydrogen Peroxide<br>
    1 cup Dawn Dishwashing liquid <br>
    1 Small box baking soda<br>
    <br>
    TIE UP THE DOG and get the hose ready. In a bucket mix the Peroxide and Dawn with either a dish rag or a sponge. When this is mixed up add the baking soda and IMMEDIATELY with with the sponge or rag rub the dog until you run out of the mixture. Hit the areas that the skunk hit heavily rubbing over these areas repeatedly. Let this mix sit for at least 5 minutes or more and then rinse. The smell will be gone and will not come back when the dog gets wet again like some cures.

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

The Last time my dog was sprayed the vet recommended womens douche it worked pretty well!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

OMG, that's great. I would show this to wifey but fear her response.
    [​IMG]

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Summer's Eve.....

Curt

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

From a lot of experience with skunked dogs, use the peroxied/dawn/baking soda mix it works.
    You can also use a product called Odor Mute. Buy it a pet stores. It is a biodegradeable kennel wash that also works.
    Remember to wash yourself off with whatever you use once the dog is clean.
    Go Well
    Wayne

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I have a Brittany that has been skunked about eight times...

I have to agree with the hydrogen peroxide/dish soap/baking soda - it's the only thing that works on her. It also is gentle on her skin (other methods have irritated her skin)

I have had to throw out a few collars - for some reason they tend to hold the smell if they get hit.

Good luck.

David D

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Bury the dog and get a new one. Always worked for me.....................................................................................Just Kidding

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thanks will try one or all I had 2 that got it. One has some hound in him he went to the mud hole and come back red mud covered next day all is fine. The other is a lab [kind of dumb] she still smells. Oh that skunk wont do it again. Thanks rick

11. docrtaylor

docrtaylor TS Member

hydrogen peroxide baking soda and dish soap definately works well. my boxer was skunked twice this past week and he doesnt smell.

12. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

A friend recommended GoJo hand clearner. Had the occasion to try it on my German Shorthair recently and it works pretty good. Wet the dog down, rub it in and rinse off.

Scott

13. bayrat

bayrat TS Member

Peroxide/baking soda/dish soap. This is definitely the one to use. The above link will get the exact formula for you.

My Shelty got hit several times. Smartest dog I ever had, except for skunks! It's like he wanted to smell like that. And always when we let him out at night. Those last night baths were no fun. BTW, the tomato juice just makes them smell like a pizza that been hit by an skunk!

Anyway.......The above mixture was the best for getting that smell out of that long hair. He was an indoor dog and we had no problem letting him back in the house after bathing him with the above mixture.

Erol Tucker - The Bayrat, POC, TX

14. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I remember seeing an article in Outdoor Life quite some time back that recomended building a fire in a safe location using wet leaves, preferably hardwood and holding the dog in the resulting smoke. Of course if you are the one skunked just stand in the smoke. Sounds like to me a ride home smelling like smoke would be preferable to riding home smelling the vehicle up with skunk. Never had the need to try it. YET! Bill

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I would think, ( assume ) that a guy would realize that you would bathe the dog with regular dog shampoo after doing the tomato juice bath. Buy hey, what do I know?

16. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I tried the summer eve now I have a lab that smells like a FRENCH ----- pootle seems to work but she has a problem with the male dog now and he has been fixed will see rick

17. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Perioxide/dish soap/and baking soda works.

make sure you use something like Dawn. skunk spray is mostly oil and you need this to cut it. I have used it in the field, hunted for a couple more hours and no more smell.