1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skunk recipe needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brdslayr, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Dog got into a skunk this morning and I remember sometime back that there were some good recipe's that members had to wash the dog. Post em and I'll get the ingredients and let you know the results. Thanks JW

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I have (2) pieces of advice. Go to a good pet store and buy the skunk shampoo they sell. They have developed new versions of it lately and the stuff works pretty good.

Second, go to Home Depot and buy the critter ridder grandules and sprinkle it around your yard. The Skunks hate it and won't cross over it. It has a heavy content of pepper in it, so be careful when you spread it around. It isn't cheap - like $16 a cannister. But it works great.

Kevin

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Go to Sam's and get some stuff called Odoban, it's about $5-6 per gallon, it's the best stuff I've found

We had an Airedale, that thought his mission in life was to kill every skunk in the world, and then bring it back to our yard to show us how proud he was, we tried every thing, tomato juice, etc, but the Odoban worked best

4. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

Ouch!! Been there a few times... Dawn dish soap, baking soda and peroxide. Its what they used at the groomers after I tried the old (and seemingly useless) tomato juice wash. Good luck with pooch.

5. beaker100

beaker100 Member

been there done that. the person doing the washing ends up with a nice skunk smell also. best of luck!

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I haven't tried the commercially made stuff, but the peroxide,dawn,baking soda really works. Use rubber gloves to rub in to fur, and do not wet the dog with water first. Put it on the stinky bugger, let stand for a few minutes and rinse the dog off.

7. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I am a taxidermist for30 years and I mount skunks, The best is peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn dish soap. Ronnie

8. twostraight

twostraight Member

White Vinegar or hydrogen peroxide counteracts the natural oil in skunk spray. You will probably need something stronger than soapy water to get rid of skunk oils -- a solution of vinegar or peroxide will dissolve and remove the odor-causing oils instead of just spreading them around. Try this mixture:

1 liter (or quart) 3% hydrogen peroxide (peroxide may cause bleaching)

1/4 c. Baking soda.

1 tsp. dish detergent

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Better a skunked dog than a porcupined dog!

LA in MA

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Fire dept used to have a spray that destroyed organic odors. It was great, but I don't know if it is still available and it was very expensive. My Weimaraner
    killed every skunk she could find; a spray or two of that stuff and she could spend the night in the house with no detectable odor and no bath. AJ

11. d endicott

d endicott Member

Skunk Off buy it on line.....www.thornell.com dont even mess with the others....Ive tried them all and this stuff works.

12. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Another vote for the Dawn, Peroxide, and baking soda. I did this recipe when the wife let our herd of six chiuahua's out the back door and a skunk was on the back porch.

Jim Bradbury

13. JayZap

JayZap Active Member

Lemon Joy, peroxide and baking soda works great. "Twostraight" posted the formula.

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I'm telling you Odoban is the best there is and it's cheap

15. 525Shooter

525Shooter Member

I haven't tried the commercially made stuff, but the peroxide,dawn,baking soda really works. Use rubber gloves to rub in to fur, and do not wet the dog with water first. Put it on the stinky bugger, let stand for a few minutes and rinse the dog off.

This works extremely well!!

16. d endicott

d endicott Member

peroxide is not good for a dogs skin

17. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

Thanks I'm off to get the ingredients. Will post tonight. Maybe my black lab will have blond highlights. JW

18. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Taxidermist, I sure hope you're charging plenty for the skunk mounts.

19. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

It works!

The Skunk Remedy Recipe

In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

for very large pets one quart of tepid tap water may be added to enable complete coverage.

Wash pet promptly and thoroughly, work the solution deep into the fur. Let your nose guide you, leave the solution on about 5 minutes or until the odor is gone. Some heavily oiled areas may require a "rinse and repeat" washing.

Skunks usually aim for the face, but try to keep the solution out of the eyes - it stings. If you have any cuts on your hands you might want to wear latex gloves for the same reason.

After treatment, thoroughly rinse your pet with tepid tap water.

Pour the spent solution down the drain with running water.

NEVER, ever, store mixed solution in a closed bottle, sprayer,etc. Pressure will build up until the container bursts. This can cause severe injury.

20. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

douche also works, no kidding.
    Jim Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.