1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ski Goggles That fit over prescription glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Jan 9, 2017.

1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried Ski Goggles when shooting trap?

I have a problem with watery eyes when the wind is blowing from several directions. Mostly from quarting angles front and rear. I'm finding that not only the targets are blurry but I'm raising my head to see a clearer target. This also occurs year around, not just winter months.

I wear prescription Decots with side blinders.

Any other ideas?

2. Sam Zimmerman

Sam Zimmerman Member

I was thinking the same thing the other day, especially when shooting these winter derbys. Haven't tried it but I could mount my gun just fine wearing them, and should cut down the glare quite a bit.

3. likes-to-shoot

Thanks Rich, I need all the constructive advice I can get.

4. rossi690

rossi690 Active Member

I've have tried it, and having worked in a ski shop and sold hundreds of goggles two main problems arise.
    Since you are using goggles intended for wearing over glasses, the lens on the goggle is so far from your
    eyes, periphral vision is a problem. Also goggles can cause problems with your face on the comb.

5. likes-to-shoot

Thanks rossi, I was wondering if something like that would work.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I wear RX bifocals under ski goggles when skiing and there is very little room for my glasses and often the nose pads on the glasses get pressed hard against my nose. My Scott goggles are a tad bigger than Smith goggles. If I wear a helmet my glasses fog up real bad when it is cold. I had cataract surgery last August and I will be glad to ski without the glasses only the goggles. I would make bigger blinders for my Decot shooting glasses if I had your watering problem.

7. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Active Member

I have been useing Bosch and Lom ski goggles this way for years very successfully. Only way i can see in winter or wind. Have decot glasses with very high nose piece. Way to put them on is to place goggles over glasses first, hold against face, and then put strap over head. Cannot wear a hat with these but the relief from watery eyes well worth it. Cannot wear blinders with this set up. Good luck.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Can you just tape off the gaps with duct tape.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Like's To Shoot..................Always trying to get an edge, aren't you........lol

Hauxfan!

10. hbar314

hbar314 Active Member

My shooting buddy has the same issue, tried all the blinders and what not. He eventually found a pair of glasses that had foam seal on them that he could get in prescription. His look to be in some sort of vermillion
    Looks like the picture below.
    upload_2017-1-11_8-27-24.png

11. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Sir, I know exactly where you are coming from. With temps below about 60 and even a light breeze, my eyes water so bad it is like shooting through an opaque window. Blinders don't really help. I've used different eye drops to no avail. My eye doctor says there is a procedure that may solve the problem, but she didn't think I probably wanted to do it. Something about plugging the tear ducts.

Until it warms up, I have two choices; don't shoot or shoot a crappy score and believe me, I've done that. Sometimes I can get by, by looking down, keeping the wind out of my eyes until it's my turn to shoot.

Good luck with solving your problem and let all of us know if you do.

Steve

12. redcorn

redcorn TS Member

Find a harley shop motorcyclist have the same problem.They might have something?

13. jansonuhl

jansonuhl Active Member

I tried something similar to these in a swimming goggle. Would work ONLY if 2 eyed shooter. I an 1 eyed so everything off left (sporting clays) is totally un seeable.

14. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

There are plenty of choices of ski goggles that are available with your prescription. These came about because of watery eyes and contact lens. At high skiing speeds the wind still gets in.

15. RichTozer

RichTozer Member

Revision tactical glasses (used for military) appears to have a goggle style mask that can accept an RX insert.

Revision Military | Shop

16. likes-to-shoot

I tried a pair of ski goggles on over my glasses in Dunhams. That isn't going to work at all.