1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeeter Chamber Inserts ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I was wondering if anyone had ever had any experience with the Skeeter Chamber inserts for gauge reduction. Would these be a safe way to go, 12 to 20 ga, in a quality Damascus bbl. I just want to shoot my Hollis double a little. Any comments would be appreciated.
    Carey

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Although you may get a differing opinion - 'quality' damascus barrels are safe to shoot and are not one bit unsafe - assuming a little sanity on your part.

You DO have to load differently, of course, and rolling your own Black Powder loads is a treat.

Hodgdon's SR-7625 is a damascus barrel's very best friend.

Bob

3. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Thank you Bob, I will check out the SR-7625.
    Carey

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

As a purely factual matter, it's awfully hard to blow up any barrel, and damascus (as Tom Armbrust and Sherman Bell have demonstrated repeatedly) is especially so.

Which Hollis's gun do you have? Pics, perhaps?

My very favorite 2" & 2½" 15/16thoz load won't reliably cycle an automatic, yet is pure, cold death on french toast - including 35yd duck & goose with #4 Bismuth: (Federal Paper, F209A, Gulandi or WinRed wad, ±23gn 7625)

Or the same load with 2½drams of ffG ...

Bob

5. jwolf@wcgc

jwolf@wcgc TS Member

To address your question about skeeters. I bought skeeters for my sons 20 ga ( to .410) they work fine for one shot. You than have to poke the empty out with a pencil, the brass expands in the skeeter. If you don't mind poking out the empties after each shot- I don't mind cause they come in pairs and he only gets 1 at a time on the trap line- they work well. As far as using in a damascus barrel, for gods sake have your gun checked by a gunsmith before any smokeless powder is burned.

6. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

The new Rhino Stingers are 15 inches long and will do a better job than most others.

http://www.rhinochokes.com/stingers.htm

7. checker

checker Member

GaugeMate adapters are Premium Shotgun Gauge Adapters that stay IN the gun!

12 - 20 Gold Adapter Kit, (1 pair with Accessories) $169.99

Click to enlarge
    GaugeMate Gold adaptors are specifically designed to remain inside the gun so that only the spent hull is extracted for quicker reloads.

Machined from solid stainless steel and plated with pure titanium nitride, each GaugeMate adaptor is elegantly designed for rugged durability & smooth action and is compatible with both heavy field loads and steel shot.

GaugeMate adaptors fit break action guns, both classic and new and are ideal for training, skeet and target shooting.

Features:
    • No moving components to jam or fail.
    • Patterns like full-length tubes.
    • Full selection of sizes - 14 in all!
    • Lessens the kick of larger gauge shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skeeter inserts 28 ga