1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Yeah I know its skeet, but today the clubs trap machine broke down and I shot a few rounds. 16 birds was my best round, it seems to me that if you shot skeet enough you would know where to hold your gun at each station and bust the birds in the same place all the time. Looked like the best skeet shooters that I was with held their gun down low, called for the bird, then shouldered the gun. What is the advantage of that? Thanks, Wayne

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Yeah - like we don't know what "holding your gun down low" means...

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, gee, if that's all their is to it I guess I'll just win the world shoot next year. Of course, I'll play all the money.

Get to it, wayne, and report back when you break your first 100.

HM

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Doubt if I could ever break 25. Never shot skeet before and was just curious about target paths and gun holds. Wayne

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Wayne, besides the old style of skeet shooting they could have also been practicing more for their bird hunting persuits.

6. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Don't listen to the die hards on here. They don't like skeet cause of 2 things. One nobody gambles on it, there's hardly any money ever added at skeet events and 2,the slow deliberate gun movement used in trap;read that to mean MINIMAL SWING, won't work for skeet. It's a fun game that will teach you more about wing shooting than trap ever will. Having said that,there are very good MECHANICAL skeet shooters who use extremely heavy bbl guns to aid in follow thru and who routinely break 3-400 straight by using the sustained lead system. I got no use for that either.

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Wayneo, I just hope that you're not lost to the dark side. If you're not careful, you'll be wearing pink shirts, high-fiving everytime you break a pair from station 7, and patting fellow shooters on the butt.

Seriously, though. It's said that skeet is the toughest game to learn, but the easiest to master; and that trap is the easiest to learn, but the toughest to master.

Try going to Remington Arms web site. They have some very good PDF's that you can download on trap and skeet. It provides you with some basic lead information, how the field is laid out, etc. Skeet targets emerge faster from the low house than the high, and they both fly faster than trap targets.

I shot a lot of skeet in the late '70's and early '80's. At the time, it was almost heresy to shoot anything longer than a 26" barrel. However, I see guys shooting everything out to 32" now. I shoot a 32" Browning XS Special with an adjustable comb, and I usually break 21-23. To keep things simple, I keep trap and skeet targets above the barrel.

I also shoot better when I've shot a round of trap first. Conversely, I don't shoot trap as well, if I shoot a round of skeet first. Don't ask me why.

You're only required to shoot "low-gun" in international skeet. As Jim Miller noted, take every advantage you can get, and shoot the high gun mount. International also has a 0-3 second delay from the time you call the bird to when it's launched, and you can't raise your gun until you see the bird.

Both games are immensely fun.

Best,
    Dennis

8. halfmile

The brainworms will get you at times no matter what kind of gun you shoot.

HM

9. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

wayneo, if you really want your eyes opened try sporting clays on a registered course. After shooting both ATA and NSCA for 4 years, I'd say most of the Master Class shooters in NSCA are they most well rounded shot gunners. George Digweed has proved that 2 years in a row.

10. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I have found that skeet shooters do better at shooting trap the first time than trapshooters who try skeet the first time. Sporting shooters would probably be better at both.

11. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Skeet targets are the same speed from either house. The low just seems faster cause it comes out low and rises a little to cross in the middle close to the height of the High house.. In setting the targets they have a Loop on a pole that the targets both must pass thru at the same time when doubles are released.
    When i go hunting for Quail.. I practice Trap.. and when I go hunting Dove I practice Skeet.

Love to shoot no matter the game!!
    WesleyB

12. halfmile

I believe skeet targets are a little faster than trap. The distance stake is further away so more spring is necessary.

HM

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I think American skeet targets travel 55 yards and international skeet targets 70 yards. The American skeet targets would be a little faster than trap targets and international skeet a lot faster.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Skeet is a fun game and shooting from low gun makes it even better. My skeet scores are actually better with the low gun method evidently I overthink things when I have too much time. The other thing that I like about skeet is that I use the same guns for that as I do for quail hunting. There is some truth to the steriotypes though, don't know what to think about that.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

If it weren't for shooting a lot of skeet, I'd have missed a lot of crossing shots on pheasants this past weekend.

Can you say 10 foot lead?

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Shooting skeet does become routine and concentration. To shoot consistantly you use a sustained lead and know beforehand where you will hold your gun on each station and where you will break each target. You have to be very deliberate and very smooth. I prefer my gun on my shoulder when I call for the target. Less room for error. I like to also shoot a game of trap before I hit the skeet range. My favorite game right now is sporting clays because of the variety of shots and the constantly changing courses. I am best at skeet. I started with trap and shot my first perfect game in trap. I now shoot more 25's in skeet than in trap. I am newest to sporting clays. My highest score in a sporting clays tournament was a 91. One good thing about sporting clays is you know you aren't ruined if you miss a target. In trap or skeet you have to have complete concentration on every target to get a good score. In sporting clays I use mostly swing through but also pull away and sustained leads.

17. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, while skeet is fun, the numbers of skeet shooters are decreasing dramatically...some people still shoot informal skeet practice, but the tournament participation is on a steady downhill trend. Trapshooters need to take note...there have always been a lot more trapshooters than skeet, but it is scary to see the participation drop off in any shooting sport. Regards, Ed

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I would think that sporting clays would be a bigger drain on skeet shooters than trap shooters.

19. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Skeet is fairly good practice for the REAL game...sporting! {big smile}

20. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I can get use to the attire part it's the constant butt patting I have a problem with.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.