1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet vs Sporting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by leadhead358, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

What is the general rule between skeet guns and trap guns as far as shot pattern at the clay between the two types of guns without being adjusted to the shooter? Such as does skeet throw 50% of shot below and above the clay and trap throws 70% above and 30% below. Curious. Thanks Tom

2. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Sounds about right between my skeet and trap guns. Some Pro trap shooters like their guns 100% high, but that is not the norm.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Skeet guns are usually just slightly high so you can watch the target break.

Clays guns are the same. You encounter lots of dropping targets in clays so a high shooting shotgun is a handicap.

Trap guns are set to pattern high so you can watch the target break. Otherwise you will tend to lift your head to see the break and that can lead to lifting your head before the shot.

Jim Skeel

4. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Since I learned to shoot trap before I took up skeet and clays, I learned on a high-shooting gun. Never could master switching back and forth between a gun with which I had to float the target and one with which I had to cover the target - so I set my skeet/clays gun to shoot like my trap gun. Most anybody else couldn't hit squat with the Beretta, but I love it just the way it is and I've picked up a bird or so in my average at skeet.

Still shoot more trap, though.

Tony

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i actually shoot all games with my 303 beretta trap gun with adjustable comb. have it set so I can see down the rib because a skeet or field gun is actually too low and i look in the back of the receiver. try the trap gun with skeet chokes. it works great just float the bird.motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.