1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

skeet trap dilemma....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by al3526, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al3526

al3526 TS Member

My brother and I have been given the task of writting a proposal to create a format for a combination skeet/trap competition. I like skeet and he loves trap shooting. Until now our club championship consisted of a skeet champion ship and a trap oriented championship. To determine who is the best all around shot he and I proposed a hybrid interdiciplinary championship. How does 100 16 yrd singles and 100 skeet targets sound to determine the hybrid champ???? What dicipline do you think will have the most shooters in the top ten? al

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

The Trap Shooters will shoot Skeet better than the Skeet Shooters do with Trap....

3. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Do you have shooters that will shoot 200 targets!!!!
    This event scheduled for one day.
    How many competitors.Cost factor!!
    Likely 100 or 150 targets total.

Joe Woods/Ontario

4. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

our club had a fun shoot with:

25 skeet,

25 trap,

25 5 stand,

we had a good time and it became obvious who the good all around shooters were

ernie

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

For best all around, I would also add some sporting clay targets in the mix as well. If you have a sporting course at your club. Also if not, you can shoot trap from the skeet stations,doubles only in skeet,or trap. How about 5 stand mixed in? Their are alot of ways to mix it up. Wabble trap from the skeet stations w/ 2 shots. Good LUck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. LarrySC

LarrySC TS Member

Our club championship, which last year only had about 20 competitors, consists of 200 targets: 50 skeet, 50 trap singles, 50 wobble trap, and 50 5-stand. Such a format could easily be reduced to a 100 target event if the club has a large turnout (say 75 competitors) or has a limited amount of ranges. Although our club has a 10 station sporting clays course with two stands (a hard stand and an easier stand), we have not had any sporting clays segment in our club championships. As in most multi-disciplined clubs, we have concentrations in the various disciplines (e.g., those that only shoot skeet, strictly trapshooters, and sporting clays/5-stand shooters). However, some shooters shoot all of the shotgun sports.

If a club does not have a wobble trap or a 5-stand field, you could substitute one or more of the following: trap doubles, skrap (trap from skeet stations if the club has a trap field overlayed on a skeet field), handicap trap from the 23 or 25 yard line, trap doubles, international skeet (low gun, up to a three second delay, international presentations at the various stations), a trap slider (e.g., first target at 19 yards, second at 21, third at 23, fourth at 25 yards, fifth at 27 yards; move to next station and first target at 27 yards, second at 25 yards, third at 23 yards, etc.; etc.).

It is really great if you have a blind draw for the squads thereby introducing members of the club to other members of the club with whom they would not regularly shoot--mix the skeeters in with the trapshooters. The cost of the tournament should be the normal member prices for each discipline plus the cost of a barbeque luncheon plus the cost of nominal prizes (e.g., t-shirt, hat, or pocket knife) for the winner (or top three shooters). We have a framed picture of the club champ displayed in the clubhouse and a blurb in the club newsletter about the contest and the overall winner and winner in each sub event.

Larry

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

100 round Skrap on wobbles will have the desired effect.

The defining thing about this game is that it negates the equipment/timing advantages common to either game. The game is also long enough to rule out the just plain lucky wild card. The game can be played on an ordinary trap field.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our Trap Club has a "Cup" offered to the Member who wins the most "points" over four competitions - singles, doubles, wobble and handicap. Placement based upon targets broken earns points and the points are offered based upon the number of participants.

Why not have a series of trap and skeet events over a year and the shooter who earns the most points over the events, wins the Club Championship...

respectfully offered,

jay

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

50 skeet and 2 rounds skeet doubles

50 trap and 50 handicap, 20 yard line

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

"The Trap Shooters will shoot Skeet better than the Skeet Shooters do with Trap...." Frank, you've got to be kidding right? People run 100 straight at trap fairly regularly. Very few break 100 straight at skeet. Trap gives you very few hard angles and all shots are away shots. The crossing shots at station 4 and the doubles at 2 and 6 are real killers. The Skeeters will find it easier to adjust to Trap more than the inverse.

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Having just started shooting some skeet as a diversion to trap, I gotta agree with omgb. The doubles at 2 and 6 are not easy for some reason. Low house at 1 is always a challenge as is high at 7. i.e. targets coming at me instead of away. But I do see the attraction to it. Blasting a target coming right at me does have a sense of satisfaction attached to it. For an all around, 50 trap, 50 skeet and 50 5 stand would be a blast to shoot. Some of those doubles at 5 stand are a pain.

12. Frank C

I didnt mention scores OMGB, I simply said that the Trapshooters will shoot skeet, better than the Skeet shooters will shoot trap. from previous observations. I have also seen S Clays shooters come to the Trap and walk away muttering...

13. Frank C

I was also talking about your basic club shooters....

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've been told that a shoot was held at the National in San Antonio between skeet, trap and sporties. Everybody had to shoot the same number of each target in each discipline. The skeet shooters beat everybody overall.

15. al3526

al3526 TS Member

All great ideas but the thread is now getting interesting. The trap guys all think that the trap is harder and skeet guys feel the same about skeet. The intent is to see who the best overall shot is. We have no clays course at our facility. thanks al

16. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

50 regular skeet

25 skeet doubles

25 trap singles

25 trap handicap - 25 yds. (20 yds. is too close and is like shooting 16's)

25 pair trap doubles

If your club has a 5-stand, throw 50.

Curt

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

A duel?

Sorry,

Guy B.

18. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Our club (the Victoria Skeet and Trap Club in Victoria, Texas) calls itself "Home of the South Texas Fun Shoot" and these events are somewhat like what y'all are describing. We have a lot of non-registered shooters who like to shoot different games and we try to throw a little bit of everything to find out who the best shotgunner is for that day. Typical shoot is a 100-bird event consisiting of 30 country doubles (a local game with a low bird on one side of you and high bird on the other, shot in pairs and the wind and timing make for some tricky targets), 35 skeet (25 regulation skeet with extra skeet doubles on stations 2 thru 6) and 35 trap (25 front line singles OR wobble and 10 extra birds from some handicap yardgage). Our final South Texas Fun Sgoot Championship was even more targets; 30 country doubles, 35 skeet and skeet doubles, 35 wobble trap (25 from the front line and 10 from the 22-yard line) and 35 handicap trap (25 from the 22-yard line and 10 from the 27-yard line). These shoots really test your overall shotgunning skills.

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Keep it simple, 50 skeet and 50 trap. HMB

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"Do you have shooters that will shoot 200 targets!!!! This event scheduled for one day"

Joe Woods---Don't take this the wrong way ,but most trap shoots are at least 300 targets in a day as you very well know. 100 singles 100 handicap 50/pair doubles. Why would a 200 mixed trap/skeet event scare off the shooters? Just wondering what you meant?--Matt Parker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.