1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

skeet shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wayneo, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Hi all, been shooting trap for 20 years. Guys at the club want me to try skeet shooting, what kind of gun for a new skeet shooter should I get? 26in. 28in. o/u, auto, 12 or 20? I will only shoot 1 or two rounds of skeet a week. Could spend up to $800. Thanks, Wayne

2. abiezer

abiezer Guest

What are you using for trap?
    It's probably best to get a gun that fit's and feels somewhat similar
    to your trap gun,although lower POI,and perhaps a touch lighter.

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

i used my browning special sporting clays , 30" barrels, briley skeet chokes and shot 2 rounds saturday 22 and 23.

bill

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Don't try skeet. Pretty soon you will be wearing pantyhose and patting other guys on the ass, and leaving your hand there way too long.

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Yeah dont try Skeet , then you will be able to hit all those hard lefts and rights without having to turn em down ! LOL All serious, put skeet chokes in your trap gun. Jeff

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Thanks for the replys, I shoot a Bt-99 16yard and handicap, no doubles. Hard to shoot skeet with that, thanks wayne

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I would look for something to shoot both games with, never hurts to have a backup. 1100 or 390,391. Jeff

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

wayneo, I shoot a fairly standard O/U trap gun that just happens to have fixed chokes, Imp. mod. and full for doubles trap and a 28" barrel with choke tubes for skeet and sporting. If I didn't have the 28" barrel set, I'd still use that 30" trap set installing choke tubes for all games including trap, skeet, and sporting. There are many skeet heros shooting 30" barrels and I've seen 30, 32, and 34" O/Us on the sporting courses. Skeet shooters are leaning toward adj. combs and all the goodies we trapshooters have so don't feel you MUST have a specific gun for skeet, especially if it's only going to be social or recreational skeet. However, the cheapest route just may be a 26 or 28" skeet auto-loader for your occasional skeet shooting....breakemall....Bob Dodd

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I shoot my 391 trap with a skeet choke. League average is 24.

Jerbear

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Look for a nice Superposed Skeet.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

a 390 at walmart

or a used 1100 if you can find one for 400 dollars or so

whatever you get- try to afford choked tubed model- might serve you for sporting clays also

Gene

12. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

I'm thinking about shooting some skeet this summer, too, as well as sporting clays, so I'm probably going to pick up a Beretta 391 Sporting Clays gun, I think it will serve me as well as anything else. Hard shooting those games with my Ljutic, too! Plus lots of aftermarker choices you could do to "spruce" it up like trigger jobs, etc. Take a look at it!

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shoot exactly what you're shooting now, with skeet chokes. Find out if you like skeet shooting before you make any purchases. Your sporting clays gun will be a bit barrel heavy for swinging in skeet, so a shorter barrel might work better. But you can look into that after you've decided if you even like skeet.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

An 1100 20 guage skeet. If you can find an older one built on the 12 guage frame that would be best. Many skeet shooters 20 guage average is better than their 12 guage average. Less recoil and the least expensive ammo. HMB

15. Big Bores Rule

Big Bores Rule TS Member

Bull crap Jerbear, I have it on good authority that you couldn't average 24 if you was dropping cases of targets off the high house roof. I'll have to send a buddy over to check you out.

BBR

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

hmb I don't know where you are buying your 20GA. ammo but I can't seem to find any that is cheaper than 12GA.

Bob Lawless

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For your $800 buget you can get a perfectly good skeet gun. I would look for a used 391 Beretta with a 28" barrel. The guage choice is up to you, you will probably want the versatility of the 12 but really the 20 is great on the skeet field. Be careful though, you could get hooked and the next thing you know you will be looking for a 28 guage and/or a .410. Have fun!

18. pn

pn TS Member

You have a good name for skeet "Wayneo". Another Wayne that shoots mostly skeet these days utilizes the same. He has also shot some Trap and did pretty well, the same with Sporting Clays. Pretty Bueno, no?

The gun you chose is mostly a matter of personal preference. And like other things, everyone has one and they are not all the same.

My recomendation would be to find a nice trap doubles gun with choke tubes to start out. 30" bbls work well for me, others like them a little shorter or a little longer. I believe if you find a nice Browning SX skeet with adjustable comb (or make your own) you will have all the gun you need for both games. A Beretta 680... series will work just as well. Move on into the Perazzi line up, etc now if you think it will save you money in the long run.

Good shoot'n to ya.

19. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

Start with a Remington 1100 12 Ga. If you like skeet, then decide what you want.

20. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Big Bores Rule

Even if he stood on his tiptoes and dropped them on concrete?

Nah, I guess not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.