1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet shooting 101

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I need some help here. I can't get over the hump. I shoot 21-23 most every round, and I'm not consistant with the ones I miss. The only thing I am consistant at, is breaking my doubles.

Background info:

20 ga BPS with Skeet 1 choke, 7/8 oz of 8's going 1200 fps, The quality of my breaks are on par with a 1 1/8 oz 12 ga load. My gun fits well and swings through clean.

I just can't seem to get over the hump. Any tips?

ec90t

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

...Be careful when a skeet shooter offers to help you over your "hump" by checking your "hold points"...this is the sort of thing that got Larry Craig arrested...

3. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Which station are you haveing trouble with?? is it the high house or low house that is the problem??????????????

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Tron,

I herd a couple of the guys talking about it to the other shooters, but they seem to think that my stance and hold points are good.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm thinking about it too much.

ec90t

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

SR1,

Come to think of it, it's the high house that causes me most of my problems.

I'm a right handed shooter if that makes any difference.

ec90t

6. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Highhouse-itis......many RH shooters are afflicted with it. When I miss it, I'm almost always too high. When I shoot it over the pin, I usually run them all.

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Which station do you have the most trouble with then?

8. Bridger

Bridger Member

Buy Todd Benders DVD, you can usually find it on ebay. This is the best instructional video I have ever seen on skeet. Bender is not only a great shooter, he can teach too. You can learn a lot from it no matter what level you're shooting. It shows correct hold points, leads, foot position etc. Its well worth the cost.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I had to think about it for a moment, but it seems to be 3 and 4.

ec90t

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

My personal experience is you have to lead 3, 4, and 5 a tahoe. I know that seems an exaggeration but it seems like it's that much. I go through spells on those stations, sometimes I can't hit and others I can't miss. It is always of matter of lead though. I swing thru the birds and it seems two feet in front of them. Oh well, see what others tell you but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Jackie B.

11. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Try faceing more to your right and start your gun position half way between center field and the high house. It sounds to me like you are binding up so to speak. This should help you get in front of the bird and stay there. I hope this helps it did for me.

12. richrob

richrob TS Member

Same thing here, right handed shooter getting 21-23 each round. Missing 3,4,5 high house usually. Everyone says Im shooting over the top. -Rich

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Bridger, email with how you find Todd's video on ebay. I just can't seem to find one to bid on. There may just not be any on there right now. Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Remington had a handout pamphlet years ago called "skeet Shooting Fundamentals".

It is now on their website in PDF form you can save it to your computer. It has all the basic leads, hold points, and foot positions shown very nicely.

If you can't get to it email me and I will send it to you.

HM

15. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Try and remember a high house bird is droping and a low house bird is a rising target. Make sure you are in front and under on the high bird. Like some guys have said practice,practice and when you think you have it nailed practice even more.

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

The note about hitting your doubles consistently could be a clue. A tendency is to keep the gun moving fast on doubles (when you're in a "hurry"), but to slow down and take time to "measure your lead" on single targets (gun slows down > miss).

Just a thought, but a 20ga BPS is a fairly light gun...do you have the option of shooting with something a little heavier? It's only an idea, but those heavier guns do keep moving awful nicely. This makes a difference in skeet...you rarely see a serious tournament skeet shooter shooting something as light as a 20 ga BPS.

Reformed skeet fag,

buzzy

17. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Bender's video would be helpful. But You would do just as good by standing behind some of the top average wise shooters to see exactly what there doing at your own gun club. The top skeet avg. at our clubs are usually in the 24.30 thru 24.90 thru 500 target league. So it can be helpful to watch what the more consitant shooters are doing. Why not shoot 9's instead of the 8's while your at it? You'll gain 153 more pellets to which couldn't hurt you. 4andy10

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I second the suggestion for Bender's video. Its one of the best I've seen. If you can't get it on eBay, try Sunrise Productions.

And a high house bird is most definitely not dropping. Starts at about 10 feet and goes up to 15 feet at the center stake.

Feet shoulder width apart or just a little more, feet parallel, belly button and toes facing the low house window (except at 7 and high 8)

Exaggerated weight forward over your left foot.

Gun point level with the bottom of the window, 1/3 of the way out from the house to the center stake.

Eyes between the barrel and the window (don't look back to the window)

Don't let the target get past your barrel....sustained lead.

Break the targets on YOUR side of the center stake.

19. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Ok I am wrong it does rise 5 feet roughly before it starts to drop.

20. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Buy the best skeet book ever printed: Mastering Skeet, by Dr. King Heiple.

Dr. Heiple is one of the NSSA's ten master instructors. He was chairman of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Many of his publications dealt with biomechanical research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.