1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

skeet shooters at clubs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by seeone, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seeone

seeone TS Member

The board of directors at my club closed the skeet fields last year because of continuing problems with the shooters( nonpayment of shooting fees, lack of participation in club work parties, no supervision of the fields by skeet shooters, badmouthing the club.) I am a trap shooter of 30 years but did enjoy skeet shooting occassionly, but the skeet shooters were a pain in the ass. In traveling to other clubs I hear the same stories with the trap/skeet animosity. Anyone belong to a club where these problems occurred and were they solved, and how?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Buy coin boxes for the skeet fields, problem solved as far as that end goes (works equally as well on the trap fields). The honest people will have no problem with it, and the cheats will leave, the coin boxes will pay for themselves in time. As far as participation in club work parties, there needs to be an incentive for people to help out at a club. Most have full time jobs, and don't want to see their club as another place to work (without pay no less). Do you offer them free food/drinks during work parties, a reduced membership rate if they contribute hours, ect? Most come to the club to relax and enjoy themselves and if there aren't enough people who are going to contribute time out of the kindness of their hearts (usually those who are retired and need something to fill their day more than anything else), something gratis goes a LONG way (giving someone a couple pops over the course of a day and a meal here and there, or a couple free rounds, ect, is CHEAP labor, WAYYYY less than minimum wage!).

As far as the animosity b/w skeet, trap, sporting clays, rifle, pistol, combat, ect, ect, we as a shooting community need to get over it. We all share a common thread in that we enjoy shooting firearms. The libs couldn't care less if your shooting an inanimate clay pigeon, a live animal, or a human being, its all the same to them, and as fractured cliques, we make a much easier target, who will be picked off one by one until we are all gone.

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately" Ben Franklin

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

As I always say...you cannot trust shooters who pat each other on the butt every time they break a target.

Skeet shooters are bad news. Reminds me of R. Lee Ermey in FMJ..."You look like a peter-puffer to me, Mr. (Skeetshooter)...I'll be keeping my eye on you!"

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pretty stupid stuff...........for years our club's work backbone was a cadre of skeet shooters. They loaded targets, served on the board, showed up for work parties en masse, and generally speaking were the backbone of the club.

These days, we have a good group of younger (still middle aged, but younger) trapshooters who have gotten involved in the work. I would say it's about 60-40 now.

Polarizing the shooting sports is pretty damn stupid and will just make it easier for the anti gun faction to put us all out of business. Just check Obama's latest stance on gun control.

buzzy and seeone should go down in the trap house so they can enjoy each other without the rest the crowd having to watch.

HM

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Skeet_man,

While I agree with the second half of your post, I do disagree with the part about bribing the members to work at THEIR club. You know what club I'm a director at, and that we also have skeet. I'm not going into the skeet/trap animosity. However, I'm fed up to the point with a lack of work contribution at our club that I say the hell with the ones that don't contribute. If people can't step up to work a shoot once in awhile, or participate in a work day they should stop paying their dues and just visit once in awhile.

Gun Clubs are just that," clubs". Their not a privately owned businesses that are funded through profits. I encourage every gun owner to join a gun club and PARTICIPATE. However, if you don't want to contribute through working or by contributing a monetary donation that is beyond your annual dues, stay home.The Phisically disabled, college students, and active millitary get a pass.

6. DocJim

DocJim Member

Let me get this right. Skeet shooters are thieves, lazy, don't contribute, continually bad-mouth the club and don't supervise themselves. I don't believe a group of shooters just said this about another group. Some of you guys are willing to condemn a whole group of shooters for the sins of a few? Come on!! There must be a membership committee at your club and you must have club rules. If these "bad apples" don't want to conform to the rules revoke or don't renew their membership; simple as that. Don't have the rules in place to take care of it? Make some!....................JIm G

7. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

The club I used to shoot at did the opposite. Converted to only trap field to a 5-stand.

pg

8. esetter

esetter Active Member

In my club which is a huge club near Cincinnati, OH it is just the opposite. The trap shooters are fighting so much that they have all stopped coming to the club and the skeet fields (2) are becoming packed because everyone laughs and has a good time. I belive we have 5 trap fields and last Sunday there were a total of two squads shooting. You had a long wait to get on a skeet field. I don't think it has anything to do with trap or skeet, it is just the group of guys that happens to shoot which discipline at your club.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Everyone needs to get along

Keep in mind though- that as a general rule you can shoot five(5) trap squads for every skeet squad of the same experience

At some point revenue has to be considered -- and a revenue stream favors trap-everything else being equal

In reality- there will be times that trap is more popular or skeet at your local club- days , seasons, certain weekends, time of day- etc-- by accomodating everyone the revenue stream goes up and everyone feels a part and often shoots more than one game

It is the person or people that dont want to accomodate everyone- dont want to figure out how to do that- usually because they are small thinkers or lazy that cause this division=== my experience is you cant help small thinkers much-just try to prod them in the right direction or get them out of positions where they can affect the club

Coin operated boxes are proven to increase the revenue stream for the same target numbers thrown-- dont know why but I can suspect why-- use them if you have an issue- and every club has an issue unless it is a one field club

think about it

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

This story sounds kinda fishy to me? Sounds like seeone wants to hear about their dress attire and the strange way they pat each other on the rear after each turn? mmmm...Nuc

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The problems stated are not restricted to skeet shooters.
    Every club seems to have the same problems with all the shooters. It's just human nature.
    The one club remaining in my county that has both trap and skeet field/shooters keeps the two areas widely separated. They seem to get along just fine that way. :)

12. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

The widely separated idea certainly appeals to me. About 5 miles seems appropriate.

jim brown

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Our board burned the skeet towers to the ground. That was how they dealt with the theft, lack of work, and bad mouthing the club issue. In the process of burning the skeet towers all the fluid that had leaked out of the throwers on the wood platforms for 30 years created a nice black cloud of smoke. That cloud of smoke attracted the local air pollution people and they showed up in time to give the club a nice fat ticket. Now we have a new board who is going to have sporting clays and skeet brought back to our club so I would expect we will be building new towers soon. That's ok as we needed new towers anyway but what a way to drive a stake between the trap and skeet shooters. Hard to belive that as a group that thought that was a good idea. That's why board members are elected and I suspect has a good deal to do with why the vote went the way it did. That club is proof that when you do the thing that everybody dreams about doing as a solution the outcome may be more then bargained for.Jeff

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

At the club I belonged to members that were Skeet people ran the Skeet fields themselves. They had score sheets and their own cash box. They also had a small shelter to relax in. Our Skeet fields were not overlayed and everyone was happy. At the end of the day they turned in the moneys and score sheets.

We also knew how many cases of targets were in the houses so accounting was no problem.

We were fortunate to have dedicated people on both sides.

People that take advantage need to be put on notice or told not to come back

Holiday greetings Gerald

15. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Oh well....

I know how you feel, I think the coin operated boxes are a good idea. I would also charge triple for dues for those members who did not have the "TIME" to volunteer. My current hunt club requres 16 hours of volunteer time per year. If you do not make 16 the board bills you $10.00 for each hour not worked.

Ronbo

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I can't help but wonder, after seeing the examples on this very board, how many trapshooters at the club constantly make negative and derogatory comments about the skeet shooters, making them like second class club members? Could it be the ultimate goal of some of the trapshooters was to run them off?

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

There is a club down here like Ronbo's. His you get Billed for each hour missed ours is for each day missed. Two days a year are required. You pay a set amount of XX's dollars for each day missed. Set the times up at beginning of year. If you have a good reason to miss way in advance you set up a different day, or else you pay. Keep it simple. Break-em all. Jeff

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had only one bad moment with a skeet crowd. Swung into a club on a whim. Shot a round of trap. Then wanted to try skeet. Never done before. As I waited I felt that I disturbed their little universe? Also got a bit of a hazing over my POS 870 huntin gun, sitting up there with some pretty guns. I shot a 17 my first time. I have not returned to that club since. I dont mind some friendly mud slingin but that should be after the welcoming. I have heard this repeated about this club several times.

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

Shooting is shooting ... whether it be trap, skeet, sporting clays, 5-stand or bunker ... shooting is shooting.

The problem the original poster has is not the shooters but the club leadership. If the leadership of the club cannot take control of one discipline of shooting to the same effect as another discipline of shooting that is the leaderships problem and that problem then becomes the clubs problems. If the leadership cares about the club as a whole then they would take care of and ensure the club operates and runs smoothly for everyone but if the leadership does not care than you will have the problems you have.

We all shoot and when anyone actually and honestly badmouths another shooting sport for whatever reason it only goes to show how poorly the badmouther is as a shooter who is scared of another form of shooting.

20. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

This picture was taken last weekend at the Rockingham GC near Reidsville NC. These fields were a long time coming and not a minute too soon.

We lost two skeet fields and a trap field when Fed-Ex came into PTI with their expansion project.

At the time of this writing our club has about 800 members and growing every month.

Of course I shoot trap and we have 6 trap fields at the moment! There are far more skeet shooters than trap shooters at our club!

38-01615

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.