1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

I know this is trapshooters.com and not skeetshooters.com, but a friend of mine asked me a questions that I did not have an answer to. He has been shooting a lot of skeet for fun and is thinking about starting to shoot in some tournaments. What is the preffered length of barrel on an over/under for skeet shooting?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

30 inch. HMB

3. sixten38

sixten38 Member

Depends on his size and what he feels comfortable swinging, 28 inch minimum 32 inch max. The 30 and 32 inch barreled guns have better resale at the moment.

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

actually saw a 26" at the skeet shoot I shot this weekend.

Damn thing looked like a youth gun in the rack compared to the 30s and 32s.

And to think that anyone who shot something OTHER than a 26 a few years back was considered a heretic.

Skeet is moving to higher ribs and higher POI's, too, just like trap. they finally figured out it doesn't make much sense to cover with the bead what you're trying to hit.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

These days, your top shooters are using 32" barrels coupled with high parellel stocks which are essentially Trap stocks. This would have been unheard of just 20 years ago. The game of Skeet is becoming a bit more dynamic than it ever used to be....but, still losing ground with registered shooters.

6. Donm

Donm Active Member

Don't skeet shooters have a web site?

7. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I am not sure which top shooters are shooting 32" barrels and high stocks? Bender shoots 32" with standard stock, Mayes and Paxton 28" with standard stock, Lehr and Parsons 30" with standard stock.
    Mike Schmidt always shot a long barrel with a high stock.
    The 30" is the main length now and by far the most popular.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Most shooters would shoot better with a shorter barrel ie 28 inches

The big boys that shoot 1000 shells a week sometimes shoot better with longer barrels

If you are off the target line the longer barrel is harder to move around to make the shot

And as 1638 above said- it depends on the factors listed there

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I am not sure which top shooters are shooting 32" barrels and high stocks? Bender shoots 32" with standard stock, Mayes and Paxton 28" with standard stock, Lehr and Parsons 30" with standard stock.

10. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

11. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Tell him it dosn't matter. Its how and what you wears that does.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Well Matt, I think he should continue to shoot with the gun he has. As said above the 30 inch has become the most common today. Remember if he plans to get his gun tubed that will add some weight out at the end of the gun, so if he does not have alot of upper body strengh a 30 inch tubed gun might be hard to get used too. Break-em all. Jeff

14. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Anyone notice how big/tall Todd Bender is? He can easily handle a 32" gun, but someone 5'11" 185 lbs may be better off with a shorter barrel. Barrel length is something each shooter must decide on.

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

When I took the Shima clinic, he was less concerned with barrel legnth than with POI....I shoot my trap combo at skeet, and I shoot about 70/30 or 80/20. He asked me if this was my trap gun and then said that more and more folks are going to a higher POI so they didn't have to cover the bird.

He didn't make any changes to my gun fit. He sure helped my game, though. And this past weekend, I broke 95 in the 20 gauge to take runner up. Pretty proud of that....

I also agree with Bob...bigger shooters can handle more gun. So can younger shooters, potentially. I know my o/u gets heavy at the end of 100 when I have the tubes in.

And I think the reason skeet continues to lose ground...its holding even at our club...is because of the 4 gauges. The cheapest way out might be a simple o/u (SKB, perhaps) with a tube set. But you're in $4k at that point. Or I guess you could try to buy 4 seperate 1100s, one in each gauge. And then small bore ammo will eat you alive unless you want to reload all four gauges. That takes space, 4 machines, hulls, wads, powders, blah blah and TIME to get all those shells loaded.

You can shoot an awful lot of trap with that investment. And even then, once you make that investment, its practically miss and out at the bigger shoots. My runner up 95 was a fluke - one guy I know can usually beat me dropped FOUR in the last box - practically unheard of at a skeet shoot, and I got him by one. A couple of the better shooters were gone, too, and poof, I was runner up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.