1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet gun for Doubles??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is deadly on dubs with a Citori but he has a little assistance from screw chokes. He uses Skeet and Mod.

HM

2. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Why would you do that? The second bird of doubles is 30 plus yards out by the time you can shoot it. A skeet choke is way too thin at that yardage to effectively break targets on a consistent basis. Halfmile said it above. I try to look to the "pros" of this game for common answers. Do any of the top guns use skeet/skeet? NO. Hmmmm. Tells me something. And they are way better than most of us, or we would be writing the record books.

3. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

What happened to Rick979's question?

4. BMC

BMC Member

Just as a point of reference, I use an IC in my bottom barrel for the first shot in doubles. For kicks one day I tried it from the 27 yard line and broke a 22/25. They weren't puff balls, but they all broke well. This was using a one oz 7.5 load. Honestly I was surprised.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

halfmile

"have a friend who is deadly on dubs with a Citori but he has a little assistance from screw chokes. He uses Skeet and Mod."

Maytag

"The second bird of doubles is 30 plus yards out by the time you can shoot it. A skeet choke is way too thin at that yardage to effectively break targets on a consistent basis. Halfmile said it above. I try to look to the "pros" of this game for common answers. Do any of the top guns use skeet/skeet?"

Am I missing something here? When did halfmile say anything about skeet choke for the second bird in doubles or anything about Skeet/Skeet? Another poor reader I guess.

Bob Lawless

6. BMC

BMC Member

Bob, the original post was apparently deleted which I'm guessing the OP stated something to the effect of using a skeet choked OU for doubles. Just a hunch.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Oh I didn't realize the first one was deleted and I usually check. Oh well

Bob Lawless

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use the same exact gun for Skeet and ATA Dubs. The only difference is choking. SK/SK for the obvious, and IC/MOD for Dubs.

Works for me, but the "big dogs" probably do not shoot Skeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.