1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet gun barrel length ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have always thought of Skeet guns as having short barrels in the 26-inch range.

But am now seeing 30 and even 32-inch barrels on Skeet guns and Sporting Clay guns.

Browning has a Citori set of 410, 28, 20, and 12 gauge with 32-inch barrels (Guns Unlimited Omaha).

Will we soon see Monte Carlo stocks on Skeet guns ?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Already seeing adjustable combs, which are a better solution than a monte carlo stock. Be wary of a man with a gun that fits. Mark

3. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Mont carlo stocks have been on Skeet guns for decades.Jeff

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Are you going to tell me that they're using screw-in chokes too ?

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Whatever happened to the standard Winchester Model 21 with SK1/SK2 (WS1/WS2) chokes in 26-inch barrels ?

6. N2deep

N2deep Member

Them ole skeeters are now using plastic hulls and wads, no more paper on the ground.. I enjoy the ribbing however one thing perplexes me,, howz come you trappers spend so much money on a bb guns and only get one barrel,, are't most u/os supposed to come with two?

Best Regards,, another lurking skeeter, Art

7. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

"howz come you trappers spend so much money on a bb guns and only get one barrel,, "

Costs less. ROFL

8. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

All the 'Big players' in the game use adjustable combs, high ribs and choke tubes. Barrel lengths probably average 30" in length with a lot using 32". I personally use a gun that has all these features with 32"barrels. Also most don't use different barrels anymore, most use sub gauge tubes.

9. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Hammer1

How about a Winchester 21 two barrel set; one 28" with bailey sub gage tube set; one 30" mod/full?

Maybe better than 26" :)

Dave

10. N2deep

N2deep Member

Seriously, Rufus80 is dead on target. 32's are common as well as adjustable combs and even adjustable-high ribs. Not sure I have seen anything longer than 32's although the extended chokes add a little.

I shoot a 625 sportier with 32's and a 3200 with 28's. IMHO, you need to start the longer barrels on time to get into sync with the birds an they tend to exaggerate your swing flaws. Shorter barrels catch up a little quicker and allow a few more minor swing flaws

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Hammer, 30 inch barrels are the norm these days for Skeet. A few still like the 28 inch and a small number will use the 32 inch barrels as well. As said above most serious Skeet shooters today use subgauge tubes sets!!! Very few shooters can shoot Skeet with a tubed 32 inch barrel gun!!! You need to be rather tall and strongly built overall to do so. I believe Todd Bender is (maybe was) the only top shooter who shoots that long of a tubed barrel. Now Sporting Clay shooters who use the same type of gun as Skeet shooters and vera/visa who do not use tube sets have gone to 32 inch and "34 inch" barrels. Now Sporting Clay shooters do have subgauge events in there larger shoots, and they still like the 32 barrels for this subgauge event, but not all Sporting Clay shooters enter these events. I did not know browning ever made a 4 barrel set with 32 inch barrels, I'll have to look into it. break em all Jeff

12. tarhawk

tarhawk TS Member

I guess I'm from the old school. I use a Browning Citori 26" barrel for most of my skeet shooting. It looks like a riot gun because the barrel is so short compared to my fellow skeet shooters. On occasion, I use a an 1100 with a 28" barrel.

13. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Does anyone use a bonafide trap gun for skeet ?

14. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Hammer1, yes I do. A Browning XT Trap. It is just as I described above. Shot registered on Saturday in 12 gauge, 97. I just change the chokes out to skeet/skeet. I get some stares until the clays start turning into dust balls. I use the same gun for Trap doubles and singles. Again just change the chokes to IM- bottom Full- top. Beware the man who uses one gun....

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Skeet and sporting is about all I use my Browning XT 32" trap for. I can't shoot doubles trap worth a CRAP!!

16. jergott

jergott Member

I have used a Perazzi MT6 with 29 1/2" high rib barrels with Briley sub-gauge tubes and a M/C trap stock for skeet since 1997. I prefer the feel and consistency of gun mouting with the M/C stock. Also the longer barrels give me a better depth perception for finding correct leads on skeet target.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
26 inch skeet gun

32 inch barrel for skeet

barrel length for skeet
best barrel length for skeet
champion shooters use sub gauge tubes or change barrels
skeet shotgun barrel lengths
tall shooter skeet barrel length
what barell length for skeet