1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet Emergency

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Phoebus, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phoebus

Phoebus Member

Ok I know there's no such thing as a "skeet emergency" and I know this is a trap shooting forum but I thought I would draw on the vast experience that I know is out there.

So here's the situation, I'm a novice skeet shooter +/- 1 year consistant experience on the practice range with scores in the low 90's. Not great but a point to build on. I entered my first competition just for the experience with the idea that I would get more serious about competing next year.

I had a baffling experience. I shot all four gauges and did ok with the 12, scoring 85 which was low but probably in my range for where I am as a shooter, with nerves and all. 20 ga didn't go as well I scored 71 and started consistantly missing low house birds. The next day I thought, well maybe the heat got to me or just got wore out, but when the 28 ga. started the problem was much more pronounced and I was hitting literally 95% of the high houses and about 5 % of the lower houses. The problem persisted through the 410 and I have yet to figure it out or even have a clue what might be going on.

Besides the obvious comments that I just suck, which I freely admit. Anyone ever have this experience where a fundemental breakdown happened that seemed to be directional or obviously biased toward one house?

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Are you left handed ? Jeff

3. billkgun

billkgun Member

Move hold point furthur out from house, no closer than 1/3 of distance from house to middle stake. Lower gun to allow seeing target. Head on gun,eye on target,shoot the @#@$. Bill

4. Phoebus

Phoebus Member

Right handed...yes set point 1/3 from house, yes face on gun, yes eye on target, yes swing through....maybe gun not low enough?

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Get Todd Bender's video, "Winning With The Fundamentals in Skeet."

Watch it, over and over again, until you "get it."

Then watch it a few more times.

6. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

i take it u are a two eyed righ handed shooter! if u are try calling with both eyes open then close one eye ( pref not your right eye ) just before u pull the trigger, the only way i can now shoot low 1 and 2 if i dont well i just miss! and they look good when i do, been doing it a long time and im a AA shooter, the best thing u can do is what timb99 said but watch it a few more times!! jonnyd

7. Phoebus

Phoebus Member

I will go get the video and will likely get a lesson or two with the local "pros". Thanks for those suggestions.

Jonny yours turned out to be a cross-eye dominance thing that only shows up at 1 and 2?...and yes both eyes open for me, never had a dominance issue before, that I know of.

Do the Bender videos cover all this?

8. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

It is possible that on the right handed targets that you are not turning at the waist but rather are rolling to your left side. What that is likely to do is roll your gun to the left which changes your sight picture. Try a slightly wider stance and be sure to lock in your upper body and turn with your waste. That's the only thing I could think of without seeing you shoot.

Paul

9. Harderyet

Harderyet TS Member

First thing is to go pattern your shotgun in each gauge/each barrel.
    Second, go see a qualified person to insure your gun fits. If your gun is stocked too low, you will block the vision of your shooting eye as you elevate the gun to shoot the rising target.
    Good Luck,

10. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I only have a few years experience in skeet...but when I see a guy missing all of the birds on one side of the field, its generally been some sort of crossfiring issue.

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Come back to the light. Its not to late to do so. You can be saved from the dark side.

12. Phoebus

Phoebus Member

Thanks for your thoughts and time guys.

Auctioneer I appreciate you loyalty to trap but I guess I should have said that I'm 40 y/o so I won't be shooting trap for another 25 years or so. If it is any consolation, my close friend and shooting buddy is a trap shooter and he's only 36. He figures he has 50 years or so to practice before he enters the world event. ;0)

Michael

13. Cobra Khan

Cobra Khan Member

There really is no way to diagnose the problem with out watching you shoot. I suggest that you get a lesson from a good instructor.

14. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Starting shooting in your flats instead of your heals. Also, don't wear your purse on the field as it may hamper your swing and follow thru.

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Don't swing through the target when your starting point is that far from the house. You're likely making a stabbing motion to get to the target because of the late swing start and slowing or stopping when you pull the trigger.

Instructors like Bender and Shima would rather you have a sustained lead not a swing through. If you must swing through the target, your hold point must be closer to the house.

Doug

16. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

If you hit lefties consistantly, you are a good shot! Must be a fundimantal thing and may be as easy as having some experienced COACH and shooter watch you. (Shooters are not always good coaches)Bender DVD is a real learning tool, do as above advises. Don't worry about the 410. God gaves is 12 and 20 ga. for fun. The Devil gave us the 410 for humiliation!
    Skeet is fun too! Have a good time and don't give up!

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You could be shooting in front of the right to left targets. That's commone with right handed shooters, pulling the gun across your body, and maybe shifting your eye dominance to your left eye. Also the targets are rising and slowing down faster than high house targets.

Try shooting more at the target and not stretching your leads as much.

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I agree...many I know, including myself, test for right eye dominance but in fact have very close to equal dominance such that after a couple of rounds, when looking over the barrel with my left eye it tends to take over.

The result will be shooting well in front of low house targets.

Couple of things to try...personally, forget the one eye closed. Get a piece of tape about 1/2" square and put in on your left lens so that you can't see your barrel when in your stance and mounted. See is this solves your problem.

Also, without the patch, when this problem with low houses comes up again, cut the lead in half...say on L2. Nice long incomer with plenty of chance for your left eye to come into play. If missing this target, cut the lead and see if you start to hit it. If so, you are having cross-fire issues.

Ooops, just saw where you posted that you shoot swing through, can't say what your issue is, but strongly suggest transitioning to sustained lead. At your age, with 1/3 out hold points, there is never a reason to allow the bird to get by you and make it a swing through shot.

19. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

"Head on the gun, eye on the target, proper lead, it's impossible to miss"

Todd Bender

20. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

A good instructor can get you past this easily. Tournament pressure causes all kinds of problems when things are not going well - muscles tightening, eye problems, etc., particularly when using swing through method in skeet. (lead may look perfect but swinging gun faster or slower - bird does not break - now you are totally lost...) Give serious consideration to switching to sustained lead for middle stations, and incomers on 1,2,6 and 7. (FWIW I shoot mostly 20 ga. now and am in AA class). Good luck and just relax and have fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.