1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet chokes from 16 yds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Lostintheozone, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostintheozone

Lostintheozone Member

I don't post here much anymore because I quit shooting for awile. I recently retired and my interests have migrated to pistols and hunting. Most of my trap shooting from now on will be with my field guns. However, I have an old Win. 101 that has fixed skeet chokes that I purchased new in 1970 that has maybe a flat of shells through it. My question, from the 16 how effective is .005 constriction with 7 1/2 and 1 oz. loads? I've read that out to about 25 yds. .005 is pretty effective. I've shot a lot of trap but never with an open choke. Will they run me off with an old skeet gun with 26" barrels. :0

This is just for fun.

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Shoot what you have.... have fun.

I have shot with a skeet choke because I forgot to change it when moving from the 5 stand. Never notice a difference.

Jerbear

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It will work fine..shell quality these days make the skeet choke very effective at 16yd..you'd be amazed how far you get solid breaks

4. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

I recently accidentally shot a round with my trap gun with no choke tube at all in it. Broke 21 although they were pretty soft breaks.

5. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Ugly big chipped breaks... not good.
    Art

6. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Since your gun was made in 1970 and has fixed skeet chokes, it might very well have more than the 0.005 constriction you mention. The somewhat universal quoting of that 0.005 figure has really only been set in stone since removeable choke tubes became popular --- before that time it wasn't such a standard and it varied between gun manufacturers.

My 1970 made Browning Superposed Skeet has 0.008 in both barrels. Also, it was somewhat common to use two different constrictions in O/U skeet guns in the 60's and early 70's, usually calling them "Skeet 1" and "Skeet 2" and the less commonly used "Skeet In" and "Skeet Out" (meaning incoming and outgoing targets). That tighter barrel can be between 0.010 and 0.015 in some guns.

Although it might not make much difference, it would be interesting if you know someone with an accurate dial bore gauge to measure them for you so you would know for certain (or shoot some pattrerns and do some counting).

7. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Have run 100 with my Win. SX-1 from 16 Yd. in practice with a 26" skeet barrel.

8. Lostintheozone

Lostintheozone Member

Gregg535, I don't know anyone with a bore gauge. I know that is the only way to know for sure. I'm assuming .729 bore but who knows, if larger then constriction could be tighter. Muzzle measures .724. Anyone know the the bore dia. on a early 101 maybe?

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I would opt for 8.5's with that setup myself.

10. oz

oz Active Member

try it.. the lighter the shot charge, the less choke you need. I use I/C with 1 oz. try 7/8's oz loads.

11. shrek

shrek Active Member

some of those 101's had 0.735 bores, not sure exactly which ones and/or if they all did or not.

12. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Did the same as handlepuller, but in a 27 yard line protection (buddy) shoot. Broke 2 of 10 with 7 1/2's with no choke at all.

13. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

One of my first ATA shoots ended with a score of 84 out of 100. I was so heart broken. (I was a D shooter) I took out my choke tubes, to shoot doubles.....I had NO choke tubes in the gun :)!

14. SX12

SX12 Member

When my son was 14 or so we shot trap and skeet. He had an 1100 20 gauge and had an IC barrel for skeet and a Full barrel for trap. His usual score for both games was in the 21 to 23 range. One day he showed up with the IC barrel for trap shooing and shot the score of 0/25.

Choke does matter in a 20 gauge, at least.

SX-12

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

A shooter I knew, broke his all time best singles score. Later he realized he forgot to put the choke tube in.
    Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.