1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet Choke for a Cutts

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mikej, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikej

mikej TS Member

Looking for a skeet choke for a Cutts Compensator. Can anyone help?...Mike

2. mikej

mikej TS Member

yes...... Rhode Island

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Brownell's has them, 36 dollars. Use the spreader, or if you want impressive breaks, the I. C.

HM

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

True halfmile. But you also get impressive breaks with the spreader tube. That always seemed odd since those that seem to have knowledge of such things swear the spreader tube is functionally a clinder choke. In fact, they claim with modern ammo neither the shot nor wad touch the a spreader choke tube on the way through.

The convention wisdom of the era claimed the Cutts with spreader improved the paper hull/fiber wad ammo of an earlier era by fixing the dreaded "dounut pattern" and "blown pattern".

BTW - It is claimed, the Amazing One of skeet used neither the spreader tube nor the IC tube in "Blondie's" Cutts.

5. halfmile

Don Corson has them too. Mash the link.

HM

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Oh Cutts,

How do I love thee?

Let me count the ways.

Well there are probably as many reasons for installing a Cutts on a skeet gun as there are folks that had them installed.

The image of a classic skeet gun certainly is a Model 12 with Cutts. But my looks through the picture albums of many old timers show as many, if not more, Cutts equipped hump-back A-5s and M-11s as Model 12s.

While they were still around, I spent some time asking the old-timers about those Cutts. The classic explanation was the paper hulled, fiber wad ammo of that era would produced blown patterns and donut patterns, especially with skeet’s open chokes. But a Cutts would always produce a sweet pattern. And though all the old timers acknowledged that argument was popular, none gave the impression they really believed it.

The great D. Lee Braun, Skeet Hall of Fame Plank-holder, was indifferent to vent-ribs, but insisted on a Cutts. He liked the way the big blob attracted his eyes.

Others claimed the extra weight out front improved the swing. Though others claimed they added no extra weight.

One old timer told me it was just the economics of the times. Folks just didn’t have the money then to buy a gun just for skeet. But a quick and cheap way to turn a field gun into a skeet gun was to lop a couple inches off the end of barrel of a tightly choked field gun, and add a Cutts. And with a few extra choke tubes for your Cutts, you could turn it back into a field gun.

Some claimed recoil reduction. I’ve shot Cutts and non-Cutts Model 12s, and there was some recoil reduction with the Cutts. But I also shot Cutts and non-Cutts Model 31s and 870s, and lemme tell you, the recoil reduction with the Cutts was dramatic. They went from painful to tolerable.

But one old-timer after showing me his scrape-book and sharing a pleasant hour of skeet stories under a shade tree concluded that it was just a fad. That’s just the way we did it then. Then he pulled out his pouch and rolled a cigarette. It was a different world then. That’s just the way they did it then.

MGM - Aren't you sorry you asked?

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

MGM - There was a differnce between Model 12s with factory installed Cutts, and those retro-fitted. But I'm all typed out for now, so maybe one of the Model 12 experts can give you the details. Posting a pic would be better.

8. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

I have a A5 Belgium with a 28" cutts with the ic tube installed that i used for hunting as well as skeet, IMO there is no better swinging gun anywhere than that combination. and i have shot a lot of different gun for comparison. the only problem with the A5 is they do not digest light loads. but even with the heavier loads there is very little felt recoil.

9. mikej

mikej TS Member

The choke needed is for a 12 ga...mike

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

MGM - I've never done much 12 gauge patterning. Maybe a few look/see shots at a board. Certainly no counting pellets. And I don't remember ever seeing a pattern sheet from a Cutts. I once saw a pattern sheet fired from a WS-1 choked Model 12. I remember thinking it looked pretty open, but that was propably the first pattern sheet I ever saw. What did I know?

Experience tells me a Cutts with spreader chokes hangs a lot of smoke with skeet targets. But what's mean?

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I found a M12 20ga with a Cutts on it a couple of years ago. Try finding a skeet tube for that one. I was successful as someone was selling one on Ebay.
    Good luck. Try googling for one as I did.

Don

12. mikej

mikej TS Member

Nobody has one???????????????? mike

13. halfmile

In additon to the 2 links I posted, Kolar may have some tubes. Mash the link for contact info and ask them.

HM

14. CCA

CCA Member

Mike, I have all the skeet chokes for cutts and also the rest of the unit.
    Chokes in stock are, Skeet, Spreader, Imp. Cyl. and Doubles.
    All chokes have been tested for pattern (with the help of George Lehr).
    $ 40 per choke. E-mail me if you have any questions, Chris Vendel

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Chris - A skeet choke for a Cutts? Didn't know Lyman made such a thing. Any chance these are non-Lyman tubes? Could that skeet tube be one of George's notorious Whoop A$$ chokes?

16. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

Bought one early last fall on Gunbroker. Could keep an eye out there and other auction sites.

Ron

17. tj303

tj303 Member

I believe the chokes sold by Chris are made by him (crv custom arms). They are well made, I have two.

18. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

mrSkeet- they are made by crv. They measure the same as the kolar comp skeet (.785). I've heard of the whoop ass choke (referred to once as the Wayne Mayes whoop ass choke), but i'm not what constriction that choke was (i'd suspect that's the std .785 choke as thats all he shoots).

19. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Wasn't Wayne's whoop a$$ tube a generic "all purpose field choke" that came with guns sold by Sears and Western Auto and some other of the small chains and hardware supply wholesalers way back when many folks still bought their guns at the small town hardware stores?

20. mikej

mikej TS Member

Chris i need a phone number for you!...mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning a5 skeet with cutts

could cutts compensators be shot with modern ammo

cutts compensator skeet tube

cutts in skeet

cutts spreader choke

is a cutts compensator good for shooting skeet