1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Skeet - 26" or 28" barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fraz, Oct 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

I know this is a Trap site but many of you also shoot skeet;
    Need some imput regarding the length of barrel, & gun of preference ie. weight swing ect. your thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks Fraz

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Skeet - 26

30 or 32 these days.Got to be smooth, not whippy.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

Go with at least 30"

4. seitz647

seitz647 Member

Skeet - 26

At least 28 - the trend is 30-32 these days - I find 32 to long for me - i have a 30 sporting clays 687 28ga that works great - remember if using an auto you'll have the receiver to consider JM

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

RE: using an auto

I just picked up a LC 28" for my 1100 and swings really nice.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

Depends on whether you want to shoot competitively, or just for fun. Competition shooters are shooting tube sets, with at least 28" and more commonly 30" barrels in O/Us. I shoot for fun and have shot my best scores with a 26" Citori, and an SX-1 with a PolyChoke barrel that was cut down to 24", which makes it the same as a 26" O/U. It's another fun shooting sport. Grab a gun and shoot some skeet. Mark

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Skeet - 26

Far be it from me to say that shooters are swayed by sytles and fads, but...
    Short barrels are passe'. First they crept up to 28", and then to the current 30-32" length. Thirty inches is probably the norm now, but I think I have seen some movement backwards in the last year. Might be blip in the scheme of things, but don't get caught saying "never."

8. Rufus80

Rufus80 TS Member

Skeet - 26

O/U 28" minimum but would go with at least a 30". I use a 32" but am built big. In an auto 28" is about right, some do use 30".

9. jrw136

jrw136 Member

Skeet - 26

As for shooting - Half of it is in your head, 50% is between your ears, the rest is all in your mind.
    As for getting rid of something you can’t shoot – go with the fads.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

Automatics at 26 inche are fine, because the receivers are longer. Some (Beretta and Benelli) will benefit from addition of weight forward.

2 pipe guns for skeet were very commonly 26 inch like the bird guns the sport was invented for.

When 28 inch acme in, many more 100's were recorded. FWIW I had a 30 inch GTI that was a fantastic doubles gun, got talked out of it by a friend. Darn.

HM

11. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Skeet - 26

After toying with a few guns, I decided on a 28 inch SxS with chokes. No, it doesn't meet the criteria for serious skeet shooting. It's beautiful. I enjoy it and I get better each week. Heck, I'm even shooting it for trap, doubles, and wobbles. I tried handicap yardage with a full choke and now thinking about getting something even tighter - still using the same 28 inch gun. In a way, I'd like to be that guy with just one gun that everybody talks about.

I am not discounting the intricacies of gun choice, just voicing my opinion based on what I like doing.

Larry

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

In American Skeet, 28" or longer barrels are more popular.

Our Kim Rhode won Olympics medals in Int'l Skeet with her 26" MX-12 before she retires it.

13. scrappy

scrappy TS Member

Skeet - 26

I shoot more skeet than trap. I shoot a 30" K80. Before I bought it, I spoke to Robert Paxton and had a lengthy conversation about barrel lengths. He told me he shoots a 28" barrel. We both agreed that it's up to the individual shooter. When I don't mind picking up the hulls, I shoot my 26" 1100 and I have to say, I shoot it as we'll as my K80. Bottom line, go with what ever works for you.

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

My Win. 101 has 26" bbl's. from back when that was considered correct. Wish it had 28's or 30's with a higher comb. Damn thing never did fit me. shoulda kept the 101 Broadway trap gun. Tubes would have been perfect.

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

30" barrels (on o/us) are far and away the most popular length (90%+). 32" in a distant 2nd (maybe 5%), and 28" is quickly becoming a VERY distant 3rd (2-3%). 26" is functionally extinct. Subtract 3-4" when figuring things out on an autoloader barrel.

If you are going to shoot recreationally, pick whatever you like and can get a good price on. Just be aware that anything less than 30" on a skeet gun is going to take a LARGE hit in price, so factor that in when you're buying, and expect it when you're selling. 28" barreled skeet o/us are pretty difficult to get rid of no a days, and 26" barreled skeet o/us are all but impossible.

16. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Skeet - 26

If you decide you want a skeet gun with 26" barrels let me know. I have a pretty nice Remington 3200 Competition Skeet gun, all factory upgrades/mods done, nice wood, that I need to sell as part of an estate I'm liquidating.

Thanks.

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, New Mexico

17. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

Good luck.

18. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Skeet - 26

If the question is between 26 and 28 then my answer is 28. If you can handle it then weight is a good thing--it helps your swing follow through and it helps with recoil.

19. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member

Skeet - 26

its like trying on shoes. you try them all and pick one that fits.

i shoot 26" guns because i can.
    i shoot 28" when i want to.
    only 30" gun i own is a trap gun.
    i rarily shoot below a 99 with any of them.

its not the guns bbl length that breaks birds.

20. ovaljack

ovaljack Member

Skeet - 26

if you believe that it is important to keep swinging the gun after the ejecta has left the barrel then I guess "swing through" is king. if, like I believe, none of that matters, shoot what is manageble at the end of 100 targets. if the gun is too heavy to control you will not need to "follow through" after you start missing. a 32" barrel puts you 6" closer to the bird than a 26" the pattern will be the same. you can't perceive barrel length when looking down the barrel, I shoot guns with 25" to 32" barrels and don't see much difference. while it fun to discuss, what you can shoot best is what you should use. Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
26 or 18 inch for clays

26 or 28 for skeet

26 or 28 inch shotgun barrel for skeet shooting
26 shotgun barrel versus 28 skeet

kim rhodes shotgun barrel length

shooting skeet with 26 inch barrel
should i shoot with a 26 or 28 barrell
sket shooting 26 vs 28 barrel