1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB85 TSS - good or not????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sharktown, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharktown

sharktown Member

I'm looking at SKB shotguns both used and new and would like opinions or experience anyone has with one.
    As I don't have any handling or range time with one are SKBs worth buying or should I keep looking?
    Any suggestions in the same price range?

Thanks,
    Guy

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Skb shots are the best bang for your buck. Barrels are backbored, forcing cones are done, choke tubes, adj comb. SKBs have a Greener type cross bolt lockup that doesn't wear out like Browning and Perazzi. Several of the experts on here will look down on the SKB and any one who shoots one. Remember, it's not the gun that makes you shoot better. Look at above web site.
    Mike Battista

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Look at the above website as well ... along with other dealers who might be able to do better than the one already on this thread.

There currently is a 30" used with about 1500 rounds thru it with ported barrels and adjustable comb for less than $1500 delivered right now on this board. Just search in the last 3 days for SKB and you will find it.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

When you need to depend on it the most is usually when you will find out if they are any good, like a shoot off at the Grand or any other major shoot ... Dealers think all guns are good to great because they are selling them, people who have them might tell you another story ... Make mine a Perazzi or a good old (pre 64) Winchester Model 12 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

m1ahooter ... care to tell me where I said anything degrading about SKB shotgungs? You seem to name me specificly in your diatribe but show us all you do now know how to comprehend what you read. Please show me what I said that makes you feel I dislike SKB?

BTW it aint the gun that out shoots another shooter but it is the shooter themselves that outshoots another shooter.

I would say I shall wait for an apology but I highly doubt your adult enough to give one m1shooter or should we just call you lumper. Dang how many different sign on names do you have anyway?

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

My 85TSS is a combo model with the premium wood. I liked the looks better that the standard, darker wood, so the additional $300 was worth it.

Is it a Krieghoff K80? No.

Is it a Perazzi MX2000? No.

Is it a Caesar Guerini Maxum? No.

Is it a Beretta DT10? No.

It also does not cost a minimum of $8k. There's a lot to be said for that. You probably won't find more gun for the money.

With the 34" barrel on, it's perfectly balanced for me.

One of the things not mentioned, is the number of features found on this gun, that others in its class do not have:

A Graco adjustable comb

Briley competition choke tubes

Pachmayr trap recoil pad

Adjustable rib

Hi Viz sights

While each of the above is not an expensive add-on, it means you don't have to spend extra cash getting them added to the gun later. It also shows the amount of U.S.-made parts. Now, I did have a Kick-Eez trap recoil pad added, along with a 100 Straight adjustable pad plate. Those two items were things I considered essential for me. I've run about 3k rounds through mine, and I'm thoroughly pleased with my purchase. I also compared it to the Citori XT, and the SKB didn't seem bulky in contrast; but again, that's a personal ovbservation, and not quantitive in nature.

At our club, we've had three SKB 85TSS' added in the last six weeks. The other shooters are as pleased as me.

It probably doesn't have quite the percentage resale value of the higher-end guns, but I've never bought things just for resale value.

Mine came from Jaqua's. Neal Kathrens is very knowledgeable, and was extremely helpful in my purchase.

Best,
    Dennis

7. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Goose, when I went to Jaqua's, the resale "issue" was already known. Several other threads and web sites had already mentioned it, so my eyes were wide open.

Best,
    Dennis

8. Jim1040vmpw

Jim1040vmpw TS Member

I own and shoot two older SKB shotguns. Both are model 605 combo. It is important to note that SKB warrants their guns for life - regardless of who owns it or how many times it has been "turned". The following actually happened to me. One of my SKB 605 guns came up with a loose rib. I called SKB and asked where they would recommend I send it for repair...their response was "send it to us, they are warranted for life. We will send the barrel to Japan and have the rib taken off, re-soldered, the barrel reblued and return it to you for no cost - just the cost of sending it to Nebraska." SKB was informed that I was not the original purchaser of the gun and the response was "we don't care - as we said, they are warranted for life". The barrel was sent the second week of September and returned in an as new condition the first week of December. I couldn't have been more pleased with both attitude and service. If parts are needed, one can have them overnight if necessary and they don't cause you have to mortgage the house...

I like SKB.

Jim

9. ClaysNovice

ClaysNovice Member

I have heard about the guns having problems with both barrels firing at the same time. I heard this from multiple sources. I am not sure if they have corrected the problem.

10. trap-pr

trap-pr Member

I bought my SKB combo used 11 months ago. I liked it so much; I had custom wood made and put on my gun. I have the 85TSS unsingle combo in the 32/30 barrel lengths. My doubles barrels have never gone off at the same time. I highly recommend the SKB guns. Excellent quality and features for the money.

Pam Lewis

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Those shooting them in my circle like them quite well. The only concern maybe is resale....Bob Dodd

12. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I bought one about 6 weeks ago and have well over 1000 rounds thru it (475 this week alone) and love it. IF I were to sell it I would not get the percentage of resale out of it that I could out of some other, but it only cost half of what some DT-10's lost in value. Said in a different way - it was $1700 LNIB (skeet adj. comb stock, high grade wood, couple of Brileys). I have seen a couple of DT-10's sell with moderate usage for $3000-4000 less than new. Who really lost more on the resale??

13. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

I bought a barely used 32" Unsingle with upgraded wood from Jaqua's and couldn't be happier! It looks GREAT and shoots even better! ZERO issues after 6000 rounds! Recently added a new 30" O/U barrel for Doubles, and after a little fitting, it shoots even better than my Browning! Less recoil, points easier, and absolutely crushes clays! It seems odd, but every time I witness a shooter having problems with his gun, it's always been a P-gun! I'm sure they are great guns (for the price, they better be!) but I DON'T need the hassle! Get an SKB, and you will get a Great gun for the money, with the Best service if you ever need it!
    AndyH

14. Rusty Razor

Rusty Razor Member

I shoot the 85TSS combo it is my frist trap gun so I have nothing to compare it to but I am very pleased with it. I have over 10,000 registered targets with it; 3000 of whitch are doubles-not one problem. My Dad shoots a Ithica 600 his did start fireing both barrels but if I remember right it was a pretty easy fix. So I know sooner or latter I will have problems, but I have seen high end trap guns that have had many problems with less rounds through them then mine, I think I was lucky and they were not. All said at some point I do whant a high end trap gun I just hope I will be as happy with it as I am with my SKB.
    Jim Henry.

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

I love mine. The M-12's are now safe queens and the P,L,B guns are gone.

16. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Buy it cheap because resale is poor. I know, I had to practically
    give mine away.

17. Montagnana2

Montagnana2 TS Member

I'm curious about the comments re the SKB "kick," as my experience, and the experience of many in the past who have commented on this site, is that the SKB85TSS is rather soft shooting. I also got mine from Mike Battista and I'll second the positive comments above re the effortless sale. I also had an excellent release trigger installed by Glen Hunting at Silver Dollar. The trigger feels just the same as it did two years ago. I've shot about 25,000 rounds through mine, have had one hammer spring break 1 year ago, and recently have had one ejector break. The hammer spring is inexpensive and easy to replace. I'm sending the gun to SKB for the recommended annual check-up and to have the ejector replaced. For shooting , unless you have extreme problems with fit, the gun can be adjusted to suit most shooters. I find it a great trap gun, with great factory service. I think it has helped me improve my scores and I'm proud to shoot it.

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.