1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB update- Broken lower trigger!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Damn! Out shooting yesterday with 1oz 18grns of Promo. Darn lower trigger broke. Boxing it up today and sending it off to Don in Omaha. I'm guessing I've put 12,000 rounds through it. Jim

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

You might want to have them check the firing pins while they are at it.

A buddy of mine had to send his back twice because they forgot to heat treat the firing pins and they kept breaking. They did a hardness test on the old pins and said "oops".

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I'll be shooting this gun at Kingsburg Ca. I don't think they'll leave any chance to have the gun break in the middle of a big shoot.Especially with it coming back from being worked on a couple days before. I'm sure the guys in Omaha want they're gun to show well at the shoot. I'll do my part. They just have to give me the right tool to work with and I'll put a win for both of us. Jim

4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I loved mine but I just couldn't get the trigger springs not to break. The gunsmith who does at least some of the warranty work for SKB is at the Silver Dollar, so I could get it fixed pretty quick (1/2 hour or a bit more), but, in every single major shoot the darn thing would break. I spent a lot of time at the make-up trap.

SKB sent Glen Hunting (the gunsmith) some heavier springs, but they still broke. I sort of thought it was because it had his release trigger. I am sure it had something to do with it, as I never got more than a couple of thousand rounds through it before it broke. 12K sounds much more reasonable.

Bob

5. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

The best of anything can break. Reminds me of that 6 dollar part that ruined the Indy race for Andy Granatelli back in '67. Jim

6. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

The STP Special...yup...I remember that!

now...who was the driver????

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Mario? Jim

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I thought it was a .50 cent seal that gave out in his Turbine engine? Wasn't that one of the last times Andy G. drove his car?

Hap

9. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Hap, back in '67 the announcer reported the broken part to be a 6ct part. Reports these days state it as being a 6 dollar part. Inflation I guess. And I want to say it was some kind of ball bearing. Jim

10. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Andy Granatelli was an innovative genius. He was not a driver but his STP
    Specials were always unique and competitive. Mario Andretti did win the Indy
    500 in an STP Special, but it was not in the turbine powered car that was so
    uniquely superior that it was banned from the Indy circuit.

The turbine powered STP Special that Jim referenced was driven by Parnelli Jones who was forced out of the race with just four laps to go due to a mechanical failure. Yes it was a simple component that cost about $6.00.

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I believe SKB makes their trigger out of aluminum. That's why
    some of the release trigger makers will not do SKB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.