1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB Unsingle opens HARD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by moore5833, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

My new 85ttr shoots great- but it is hard to open, I mean very hard to open and close. Anybody got any suggestions????

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I would assume the side plates are lubricted? Eventually it will loosen up with use after about 500 rounds or so.

Eric

3. 3357

3357 Member

Is it hard to open only after you discharge a shell? Mine opens as it should unless I shoot a Fiocchi shell, I then have to use my knee for leverage to open and eject the empty.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Some guns are fit to tight. Some shooters insist on shooting them that way, depending on frequent lubrication to prevent galling.

I personally would loosen them up just a tad so the danger of seizing up is lessened. If you are blessed with manual literacy, a touch of the file on the barrel tang where it bears on the forend iron works wonders.

I am not familiar with SKB but assume it is configured like my Brjownings.

HM

5. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

After looking at the receiver and barrel lugs-something more-it is free opening WITHOUT the fore-end on. When i put the fore end on is when things get tight. Shot about 450 thru it.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Does the reciever end of the forearm have a radius that mates to a matching radius on the lower receiver? If it does that's where the problem is. Perhaps the fore arm is set a bit too tight against the radius, lube in there if that's the case. You might want to consider a very fine abrasive like toothpaste (not a gel) to do the grinding of metal against metal to smooth things out.

Eric

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When you install the forend, the barrel tang pushes on the forend iron, creating pressure on the mating surfaces.

Live with it or fix it, whatever excites you.

HM

8. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

THANKS for all the advice-liberal amount of gun grease on the radius of the fore end surfaces did the trick. Now it almost falls open with gravity!!!!!

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The SKB doesn't have a hinge pin like the Brownings. Instead, it has trunions on each side of the receiver. Be sure that these trunions are lubricated well (preferably with grease) in addition to the curved front edge of the receiver. Also, a drop or two of oil on the sliding action lock bar at the top rear of the receiver helps with the locking/unlocking of the action.

I've never found the SKBs or (SKB made) Weatherbys to be particularly tight when new...... at least not like the Brownings which can take 2 men and a boy just to break open.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.