1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB shorguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dphillips8191, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dphillips8191

dphillips8191 Member

What are the thoughts out there on SKB shotgun combo's, I am not very famliar with the product.

Thanks Dave

2. butcher

butcher Member

I have a SKB Unsingle and shoot it as good or better than my KX-5. Ilike it but don't have the o/u so can't tell you anything about it.

3. REM3

REM3 Member

I have a 34 / 32 unsingle combo which i shoot very well and havent had any problems. In my opinion i think they are a great gun for the price

4. twotimer

twotimer Member

Same as REM3. Shoot it 2 to 3 times a week, no problems. Broke 50 straight again with it last Tue. Mike

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

SKB is out of business. That always hurts resale.

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Resale shouldn't be why you buy a gun. Most gun loose money so thats why I keep them. SKB guns are good.

7. 3357

3357 Member

who will be building guns for SKB going forward?

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Have you ever seen a top shooter shooting one? CED

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Dave, so there you have it! They are a fine shotgun that fits well into the price range of the Brownings and lower end Beretta's as well. They were made in Japan, and Japan stopped produceing them because they were losing money on the current exchange with the US Dollar. Now maybe it seems they have found a new US Company to produce these shotguns, and time will tell. One thing that SKB has going for them is they are a leader in factory service for their shotguns!!! Browning, Beretta, Remington, all have very poor customer service with long repair times. SKB has excellent service with quick turnaround time and will update all their guns for little to no out of pocket expense to you. Something the others would never do. The Winchester Energy shotguns made in Belgium are also a very good gun that many of the savy shooters like to buy. You may lose abit more if you try to sell these guns, but if you keep them it will make very little difference, and still will last you a lifetime and you will be able to hand down to your sons. So don't be put off by these two fine shotguns. Break-em all. Jeff

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

You get what you pay for.

My opinion.... decent for a casual weekend shooter not for a competitive shooter who plans on shooting a lot of targets in a given year. They just don't hold up to 1000's of rounds.

Every owner of an SKB was looking for a bargain priced new combo either sold or traded them in for a more reliable gun.

Good for the casual shooter headed to the club to shoot a few rounds of trap every month. Not for the competitive shooter.

11. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Every gun will break at some point. My 85ttr went 12000 rounds before breaking the lower firing pin. But, no worry. Sent it off to the factory repair in Omaha and had it back inside of a week. They fixed it in two days. Total turn around was like 10 days. And, they tuned up the gun with a few other parts. You won't find that kind of service anywhere else. And all I paid for was the shipping. Jim

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

JOE-- I owned & shot a SKB combo for a couple years. So I guess that qualifies me for owning one. Nice looking well made gun. I never could shoot it well. Have you ever tried to sell one? Good luck. 1oldtimer

13. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

SKB Shotguns is at the Grand American right now in the main vendor buildings. You should stop in and talk to Rob or Nick

14. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

i have an 85 tss combo have been shooting it since 1990 have thousand of rounds thru it, not one problem. great gun.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I also had a 85TSS that had countless trips to both trap and sporting clay ranges as well as some informal bird hunting ...owned it 5 years without incident..dont know the exact round count because I dont worry about tracking such things..just can tell you it never let me down and shot wonderful

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I once owned an SKB 605 comb - 32/34 with a top single barrel . Shot it fairly well but not great . Had a top release installed and I went down hill from there . Doubles scores sucked because the O/U barrels shot at different POI . Lower barrel had a 10 in. higher pattern so my second shot in doubles was usually a miss until I found that shooting much farther under the target was what I had to do . Others who used my gun found the same thing . Calling the reps did little to no good and got a bullshit story from him that it was the way I shot ??? Put up with it for another few months and dumped it for a loss . The guy who bought it stopped shooting shortly thereafter . Bought a Ljutic and a 3200 and couldn`t be happier .

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

85TTR Champion shooters were never made on if-if-ifs. Ifs are the standard excuse for medioocrity. CED

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've had two SKB unsingles. The first had everything including a Graco, I have to admit I don't like Graco's. I couldn't shoot it for beans. A year later I traded for a nicer one that had upgraded wood and now graco, also the previous owner added some extended chokes can't remember whose but they were target smokers. I shot that one real well. I really couldn't fault the gun in any way. But a friend decided to sell his CG combo so I just had to sell the SKB to buy the combo. I really liked the CG combo until one of my shootin buddys just had to have it and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I shoot a Beretta and like it pretty well but.......