1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB question??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by edthearcher, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

Why is it so hard to resell a SKB ? I have looked at several and watched them on gun brokers, and also here on TS. even bid on a couple but never met there reserve. example one just closed on gun broker, he was asking $2600 buy it now.I was the only bidder. another that I saw here on TS, was also on gun broker, he has recieved no bids. Iam refering to a model 85 TSS 12 guage. Iam far from being a pro when it comes to judgeing shotguns but with my limited experence they appear to be a well built shot gun. some good opinions would be welcomed thanks

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Good gun, maybe one of the most underated out there. I have owned several and found no fault with any of them until I tried to sell them. The market is full of 85 models and the economy is not good but they have never really held their value well. Buy one to shoot and keep and you will be happy. If you buy and sell a lot you won't be happy.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Like Cubancigar stated, these guns are highly underated. I have no idea why the resale is so bad. They also have some of the best factory service on the market today.

4. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

thanks for the info. I offered $1500 to a guy in Ill. on gun brokers but he never replied. I hope he wasnt insalted. used but looked nice. but anyway thanks ED

5. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

I bought two SKB's a 410 and a 12 gauge used for a song and a dance. Why I do not know,they are just as good as the Brownings ! I also bought a used Ljutic
    that the owner almost had to give it away. Ljutic's have a really bad resale
    value. I think the Ljutic is one of the worlds best made trap gun.

6. jhoward

jhoward Member

Ed, if you are still interested in buying one, I've got one I'll sell you. 34" unsingle, adjustable comb, chokes, wrench, and what I believe are the parts to convert it to a release (not sure, the parts came with the gun when I got it). PM me your email address and I'll send you some pics if you are interested.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

I bought a SKS unsingle from a friend that posts on here. It was a sight un-seen deal and I couldnt be happier. SKS makes as good a trap gun as anyone else for whatthey cost, maybe better.

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The SKB line of guns is obscure to most Trap shooters, they have done the marketing/ advertsising that it take be promote interest. I own a 5700 Int. Trap (SKB) gun that I bought in 1979 don't know how many rounds I've put through it in thirty years nad it has never failed. I've taken it sown completely about once every ten years for a cleaning. Show little to no wear it's been a good gun. My one complaint is that it kicks harder than any O/U that I own using the AA Trap loads. SO I either load light loads are use the AA lights.

9. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

MrkSLC, SKB, for over a century has been a family company and are still in Japan. I beg to differ with your comments above.The 85TSS is a workhorse of a gun. We use them for rentals and have put thousands of rounds through them. Yes they will break a spring or firing pin occasionally, but I can have one apart and fixed in short order.

If you have not looked and held the new GC7 clays guns you are missing out on a fine balanced over/under with extended factory chokes for $2k or less. If you want better than average wood these guns are availble in 3 grades of wood.

The greener locking bolt design that is used on the SKB guns is the same lock that Beretta uses on their high end guns.

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I have an SKB built Weatherby Orion field gun, and an 85TSS sporter. Both guns are rock solid. The wood is plain on the 85; but who cares? Upgrades are available if I want a nicer stock. The modified Greener crossbolt design is a PROVEN design that locks up like a tank. The Merkel O/U is almost the same set up. It is a much better gun than my 3200 or my 101. I also have at least 20,000 rounds through it, and I'm thinking about replacing the hammer springs. Durability isn't an issue. But don't let the word out...I don't want the price to go up!

11. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Don't know why weatherby sells and skb don't --they're the same gun--look at them

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

If memory serves me partially correct I think only 1 or maybe 2 of the Weatherby offerings are made by SKB.

Looks can be deceiving, especially after a couple dozen beers on a Thursday night drink session down at the local old folks home ... yep she looked young and hot about 9pm or so but ... well ... dang ... looks can be deceiving.

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Actually, Mr. Newbius, SKB built all of the Weatherby O/U's until 2008. Weatherby's are now built in Italy by Fausti. Seems that they can do it cheaper than the Japanese. Go figure. I'll bet they don't hold up as good as the Jap Weatherby's, though.

14. 3357

3357 Member

Ed, I purchased a new 85TSS unsingle/adjustable comb in the spring of 2007 for $1,800. I added an adjustable butt plate and kick eez pad. I purchased an extra set of hammer springs and firing pins which I was assured I would need in short order.

I keep a log of my shooting, In the last 2 years I have fired in excess of 15,000 rounds (practice and registered combined) through this gun with no problems or breakdowns other than to replace the rear rib retention pin which began to migrate.

I keep the gun clean and properly lubricated/greased but no special treatment. My gun is not for sale but I did turn down $1,400 for it. Considering what I paid for the gun I thought that was a fair offer.

This gun is still tight and I have never thought of it as "clunky" and it has proved to be very durable. I do not believe you need to be fearfull of purchasing one if you can find one priced right. As you can see on some of these threads where guns are being offered for sale, some folks dont understand the "real" value of used firearms.

From my lay perspective and from what I have been told by several respected folks who deal in guns.....you can figure you are losing about 30% on a new trap gun when you walk out the door of the gun shop. just my humble input...

Hope this is of some help, Jess Reed 0610568

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The older model SKB shotguns have a parts and service issue. The new ones are great and have features the Brownings don't.

Nothing clunky about the new ones, and service is great. I have parts for servicing them.

The guns are very lively, shoot like a house on fire, and have little recoil.

Once folks catch on, resale will go through the roof.

16. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

I have had several conversations with SKB over the past year. They are a relatively small operation (I visited them when they were co-located with Guns unlimited) with limited advertising funds. That makes it hard to compete with companies with deep pockets. Something few people know is that SKB makes another line of guns that look similar to the 800 that are very nice looking with great engraving and detachable triggers. Unfortunately, the cost of adding these guns, built for the euro and pacific markets, to his inventory is not financially possible at this time. Check the link:

http://www.shirstone.com/skb/8000_6000.html

My first SKB was purchased in 1979 while I was in high school. It is an XL900 that is the softest shooting auto I have ever seen. It's alloy receiver makes it a dream to carry and shoot for a day of hunting. Unfortunately, it is not steel compatible so I rarely hunt with it now. Remington's 1100 my have had a run for it's money if the XL series could have been properly marketed.

17. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Shooting Coach-I send my Older SKB's to Omaha to be serviced. They do them, send them back, no charge. Guess they still have parts, huh? The 600 was and is one of the best O/U that SKB/Ithaca made, IMHO. Great doubles gun, wish I was a good doubles shooter.

18. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

My first O/U (bought used) was a Weatherby built by SKB. Something broke inside (Spring?)

It was fixed no cost to me by a Weatherby service center.

My next trap gun was an SKB combo. By far the easiest trap gun I have ever shot trap with. I bought this used and have about 10,000 rounds through it with out a hickup.

Just get one you will like it.

tom

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If they have parts, they take care of you. SKB has been around longer than most folks realize.

20. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

COULD CARE LESS ABOUT RESALE VALUE, I HAVE AN 85 TSS WOULD NOT SELL IT, BEST GUN I HAVE OWNED.THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS THRU IT, NO PROBLEMS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

disassembling weatherby orion skb

fausti or skb weatherby shotguns

how durable are skb or weatherby shotguns

how much can i take apart on skb over under for cleaning

jess lively ts

who manufactures the skb trap gun