1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a new SKB GC-7 Unsingle roughly 6 months ago. When I go to break the gun open after firing it seems to hang up slightly or hit a spot so to speak and has since new. It's really not a big problem, just annoying. Will it wear(sp) in eventually? I hope I have explained sufficiently what the problem is. Dave

2. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

It might be hanging on the firing pin,look at your shells and see if it scratchs the primer straight down.Mine does that a little bit.

3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Put some anti seize lube on the cross bolt. If its dry it will stick. Look at the firing pins. SAee they remain extended after firing.
    Mike Battista

4. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Hi Dave,

I have a GC7 top single and was having the same problem until a spring broke and I sent her to a gunsmith for repair. He is also apparently a wood fanatic and mentioned that the wood to metal fit on my gun was "very tight" and that he did some fine tuning of where the wood meets the receiver. (There may have been other work he did as well, he seems compulsive). But, ever since I got it back it has been as smooth as silk. If you would like his name and contact information send me an email or reply here.

BTW, I tried adding a light coat of grease to the cross bolt and while it did help it was only temporary. By the end of the day the problem was back. I actually tried a number of different things and all had little or no effect. It wasn't until the wood was worked on and the "stress" on that bolt in the stock was removed that the problem went away and stayed away.

Greg Sliker

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Make sure all metal matching parts are lubricated and your not starting to have "gaulling" (sp) . That could be a bad start for a new gun .

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lack of lube is not the problem I assure you. I tend to think it is definately in the cross bolt mech. or something that impacts on it.

Greg you have a pm, thanks, Dave

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Dave, we have had a couple of our guns do the same thing you describe. A burr has formed on the greener bolt and can be corrected by a gunsmith (disassemble and use a stone to smooth) or send it back to Omaha and they will fix it.

8. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I had a GC-7 and it seemed to scratch the bases of my shells with the firing pins. I did not feel it "hanging up" but perhaps I was just opening it quick. I will say that I never paid attention if this behavior was evident when in the double configuration or only in the unsingle.

I moved on to a Kreighoff and just love it.

9. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Dave, you have a reply.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.