1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB problem- damaging hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by YOTESLAYER, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I started dry firing at home with my SKB 85TSS using an empty hull filled with silicone. I noticed after about ten shots with each shell that there was a line being scored in the base of the shell, the primer and the rim of the primer. It is also making the edge of the hull fairly sharp after repeated use. There is a fair amount of brass filings on the gun now. I checked both of the surfaces where the gun close together and I dont see what could possibly be causing this. I also checked to see if it did it with the o/u and the unsingle barrels and it does. I did not check to see if the top barrel of the o/u does it or not. Im going to try to post a picture after I get done posting this message. Thanks for any help.

Ryan

2. mbbutler

mbbutler TS Member

This is a no charge feature of the SKB 85TSS. I have had mine 6 years. If you reload, it helps to know how many times a shell has been fired.....Just count the score lines.

3. sdroosterman

sdroosterman TS Member

My gun does this also. I believe it is the result of the lower firing pin not retracting fully after firing.

I was told it is no big deal, they all do that. Anyone else famaliar with this?

Greg

4. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

So it doing this is normal?

I forgot to mention it does it at 6 oclock on the barrel. I honestly dont know how it does it, what is actually striking the hull?

5. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Oh well that makes sense, nothing is actually striking it but scratching it upon opening the gun.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The firing pin is dragging across the hull as you open the gun.

7. 3357

3357 Member

mine does it too, it has never been a problem for me.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Typical in these guns. No problem.

9. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Ok thanks alot guys!!!

10. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Yes mine does it too, I had called Omaha, NE importers about options. They said can be fixed if I sent them gun and they shortened the firing pin slightly so there was clearance on opening. I never sent gun back but I'm sure their service guy could tell you.

11. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

My old Ljutic Mono does it also and just WD40 will stop it by spraying it into the firing pin opening .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.