1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB - opinions???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by babsbunny, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babsbunny

babsbunny Member

I've got a friend that is looking at an SKB unsingle combo and is asking for advice on the gun...

They are asking less than $1500 for the gun and everything looks to be in good condition.. no pitting or stock dings

is this a good price for the gun & what are your opinions of SKB in general??

I don't want to see this person get took on a gun & would like to get some valued opinions.

thanks,
    Babette

2. citadel

citadel Active Member

I think that they are the best value out there in an unsingle combo. the closest thing up scale is to go to Beretta combo for about $1,000 to $1,500 more. The unsingle has a fully ajdustable rib and the gun is built solid as a rock. The locking system is fool proof and very positive with a heavy steel bar that slides left to right to give a totally positive lock when closed. the machine work is very well done althought the wood is often not very pretty at the basic end of the selection but that does not impact how they shoot. I have one with beautiful wood but it took some looking to find it. My wife has a set also that is a little plain but she can hit all of them with it so who cares. They will shoot exactly where you point them. If you miss it will be "operator error" not the gun. If you can get the set for $1,500 then snap it up. There are lots of chokes available for them at very low prices so they can be set up to shoot anything you want. I even have used my 32" double for skeet and it works fine. I understand that the service from the US distributor is very good even though the company making them in Japan has gone out of business.
    Let me know if you need any more info.
    Doug

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

babette, That's a very good price for a combo and I would snap it up before it gets away PDQ. While the company in Japan did go out of business the US dist. has parts for decades to come, and as stated above the warrenty is the best of any entry level gun by leaps and bounds. You would have to buy a $l0,000 gun to get the same service, well maybe $6000 for a caesar Guerini's. Have your friend send it off to SKB soon after he/she buys it and they will install any upgrades to the gun for "Nothing", and can give the gun a annual check up as well so you'll be good to go for years to come. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

I would definitely concur with the last two posters. $1500 is a great price. My SKB has never let me down and I would rate its construction and mechanical performance to be superior to the other similarly priced brand which I will not name so to not cause a discussion about something other than your question. Some folks on this site are very brand sensitive. My 85TSS now has well over 50,000(probably close to 65,000 to 70,000) shells through it and it still locks up tight and functions perfectly. I try to have it serviced once per year as I have been shooting it alot the last three years. My 410 bore and 28 gauge 85TSS shotguns have also performed well for me. Neil Swenson

5. twotimer

twotimer Member

Babette , I agree with above threads, I have two of them and they are great guns to shoot. Mine have broke a couple of times, but the service is very good. Sounds like that is a good $ for what you are looking at. Mike

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

One heck of a price my friend. I wouldn't sell my GC-7 for a $1m more.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Some time back it was discussed here that SKB was going out of business. Is that no longer so? Parts availability in the future may be a problem if there's no one to make them. Nothing much wrong with the gun in general but all things break sooner or later.

8. loop02

loop02 Member

Not to Hijack your thread, but what do you guys think of Berettas, as far as reliability goes, especially the triggers? As for the SKB deal, it sounds real good. I know several people that shoot them every week with no complaints.

9. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I have an 34/30 combo, its a very nice gun was $3,500 new 3 years ago, so i think the $1,500 a great price. The gun is solid, good service and parts if needed in US.

10. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

i have an 85tss combo, bought new 5 years ago, love it. no problems at all.

11. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I bought an 85ttr about 20 months ago. Great gun. Mine was the latest and last of the guns made. Great singles shooter. Not as good with it on doubles. Mine got me on the Ca. state 16yd team last year. My score; 195 out of 200 targets. Jim

12. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I own a Weatherby Orion Classic II OEM'd by SKB and it has been a solid gun for me in the field and on the range for 13 years now...Same reliable box-lock action as their trap-guns...As a matter of fact it was my main trap-gun when I first started and then I fell in love with the game and purchased my BT-100...I have heard both glowing and scathing reviews about SKB....I guess you will hear a little bit of both about any gun you want an opinion about especially on this web-site..Most people that I know that have them like-em....

13. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

RE: Parts
    DON and the team at SKB in OMAHA say they have parts for 30 years,
    how long have Model 12's been out of production?
    I recently bought a 34/32 combo and love it.
    Jim