1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB o/u's Mainspring Replacement?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rem870TB, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

SKB o/u

Does anyone know if mainsprings in the older SKB o/u's (such as the 1970's vintage 600's & 700's) can be replaced by the owner

......or, is fitting of the springs to an individual gun involved

Back in the 70's, I had a 600 Trap that had the spring for the lower barrel break, at 15,000 to 20,000 rounds, but it was replaced by a shop, at the time, so I don't have first hand knowlege of the replacement process.

I expect a spring compressor would be useful for this job, I have one from the days when I shot flintlock replicas.

2. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Thanks

Just to clairify, I should have said I don't need one since I don't have an SKB.

The question is hypothetical, at this point, it is for "educational purposes", just in case I find an older SKB 600 or 700 Trap in decent shape at a reasonable price and get nostalgic and buy it. ;)

I know that they break springs sometimes and would like to know what replacement is like, especially on the older guns.

Maybe I will check with "the source", as you have mentionrd.

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I sent the question off to SKB, this morning, I will post the reply when I receive it.

4. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Direct quote from the reply I received from SKB;

"the new main springs will work in the older models. Occasionally, they will require some fitting but for the most part the spring is a drop in"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.