1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB leaving a firing pin mark on fired shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

My SKB 85ttr is leaving a single line ( a scratch) on my fired shells. The line begins at the side of the primer and extends to the end of the spent hull. Anyone know what's wrong? Jim

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Firing pin is not retracting properly. Need to remove firing pin and clean out the hole. If there is a small spring around the pin, clean it too. Lightly lubricate and reassemble. Should take care of the problem.

Easystreet

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Aaa, remove the firing pin? O.K., but is this something I can do myself? The gun has seen about 12,000 rounds through it. Jim

4. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Mine has done that since new. Seems as though it comes with the design. TM

5. mike b.

mike b. Member

I tapered the bottom half of mine to center. Has been a problem since the 1970's with SKB's

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

That is an SKB quirk. My 85TSS and Weatherby Athena both do it. Don't worry about it. It's good for denoting the # of times the hull has been reloaded.

7. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Have any of you ever changed hammer springs in the SKB? I just bought one and was curios. Thanks, Tim

8. jhoward

jhoward Member

I've had this happen on a 605 trap combo, an 85TSS unsingle, and a 585 sporting, but only on the bottom barrel. As mentioned above, the firing pin doesn't retract and scratches the case head.

9. carv

carv Member

Remove the stock and make sure all of the broken spring pieces are removed. With the affected hammer in a released (fired) position figure what way the spring is put in place. Find a nail or something similar that will easily fit into the back hinged portion of the new spring. Then compress the spring and insert in place. I use needle nose vise grips to compress the spring. The nail is used to elevate undue stress to the hinge portion of the spring. I was instructed to use the nail by SKB gunsmith at the grand. Spring seems to last much longer when the nail is used. After you do it the first time it becomes easy. Good luck.

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If this is something that has just cropped up after several thousand rounds, then you do probably have some debris on the backside of the firing pins shoulder.

If it's been a problem since new (newer gun) I believe SKB had a few guns that had longer firng pins, and I also believe SKB will correct them or replace them. Give them a shout.

Doug

11. twotimer

twotimer Member

Mine does it also. I use that feature the same as 22hornet does...I know how many times I've reloaded each shell. Mike

12. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

My Weatherby Orion Classic Grade II has done this from the time I pulled it out of the box 13 years ago...Never paid much attention to it...The gun goes " Bang " every time I pull the trigger.....Great gun by the way! Has never failed me!

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim, It might be worth while to send gun back to SKB and have them fix it with new type parts and any up-grades they think might be needed. Have them give it a annual type service, they may charge for that or not. If you shot 12,000 rounds thru your gun it needs it. There service center is great!!! They will keep your gun working at its best. Just do it, they don't keep the gun to long. Break-em all. Jeff

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

My GC-7 has done that since I bought it about 6 months ago. When I noticed it I called the factory and their response was that it was normal. I also read somewhere that you could have the firing pin beveledbut that as is it won't hurt anything if you clean the gun good after shooting.

15. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Incorrect information. Deleted by Easystreet. Sorry about that.

Easystreet

16. scotton

scotton TS Member

The info from Eaststreet is perfect if you own a Citori. It is not correct for an SKB.

To remove firing pins on an SKB, you have to unscrew them with a small square wrench that can be bought from SKB (GU). If they aren't broken, I wouldn't bother as it's a pain in the butt.

The SKB may drag the lower firing pin and this is not an issue unless it's puncturing the primers. My 885 and 785 don't drag, but my 85TSS not only drags but also has a groove cut into the metal under the lower chamber for the firing pin to slide in.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the lower pin dragging.

Scott

17. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I had this issue on my SKB from new, i called and talked with them and they explained its a tolerance issue and the fix is to shorten the pin slightly and if I sent gun back they would do it for free, vey nice in explanation. I decided not too, and have had no problem, its not gotten better or worse.

18. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Bottom barrel pin retracts slowly on SKBs. It is not a defect. Has no ill effect.

Jim @ Texas Gun Works SKB dealer

19. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Well, I'm putting another 12,000 rounds through it and in Dec. I'll send it to Omaha. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

firing pin dragging on shell case in lower barrel on weatherby orion 20ga

skb hammer replacement

skb hammer spring replacement

skb opens when fired