1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB GC7 tough to open after a shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Uncle Screech, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I have a year old SKB GC7 that has started to be difficult to open after I shoot. I noticed it when I first bought it that it just did NOT like Federal Top Guns. I would pull the trigger and it was difficult to break open. I had zero problems with my Gun Clubs. Lately though it's anything I use, about 75% of the time it is difficult to break it open after I shoot. I am shooting reloads, 19.5 grains of American Select in an STS or Gun Club hull, 1 ounce #7.5, TGT-12 wad, Win209 primer.

I have tried changing the grease I use and that helps for the first round then it goes back to "sticking".

I have tried extensivley cleaning it, not cleaning it, saying bad words, nothing seems to make a difference. I even had a gunsmith look at it when I had to have the leaf spring replaced recently and he didn't see anything that would cause it. This just something I am going to have to live with, maybe join a health club and develop my arm muscles?

Thanks in advance for any ideas on what else I can try...

Greg

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Are you shooting the bottom barrel first? The firing pin may not be retracting far enough. The return spring may be weak or dirt has gotten into that area. If not the pin, open the action and use Permatex Anti Seize on the top, bottom and sides of the cross bolt and also where the cross bolt engages the receiver. Don't get any on your stock or clothing. Use a Q-Tip.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Hi Mike,

I have the grade 1 GC7, top single only.

I thought about the firing pin. I have checked the brass and there are no marks on it that would indicate the pin isn't retracting. It's also one of the reasons that had me ask the gunsmith to check it out.

I don't "think" it has anything to do with the cross bolt. It isn't like the bolt is almost disengaging and I have to force it the rest of the way. It actually "feels" more like it's sticking closer to the hinge pins. Once I put enough "oomph" into opening, it releases and is smooth. And closing the breech again is smooth.

It's hard to describe this. It really feels like the rounds I am using generate too much pressure and the barrel is "sticking" to the receiver. I've even taken a little metal polish and hit the inside of the receiver to see if smoothing it makes a difference. No change. And it's not every round. First couple stations it works fine, after about the 12th round or so it gets "sticky".

It's odd but that does seem to be my life...

4. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Send your gun to the Guns Unlimited boys in Omaha, and send a box of your shells (in a seperate box, of course), too. If it fails as often as you say, they should be able to detect the problem and fix it.

They'll make it right for you!

5. tatersaled

tatersaled TS Member

I've had the same problem before. Give me a call 931-224-5257 Thanks Erwin

6. abbielew

abbielew TS Member

Hi U. S.

I have the same problem with my Winchester 101. I only used the bottom
    barrel for singles, then when i SHOT doubles I would get the same
    hard opeding problems you have. I would hit on the rib about
    half way up the barrel to make it let go.

I then notice something with my shells. No problem with Win AA but
    Rem STS seemed to be the problem. I am now runnig all Rem STS hulls
    (I purchased Rem STS 2nd time fired) through my MEC hull resizer.
    I shot doubles last weekend and no problem with opening my 101.

So, maybe look at your shells, where are you getting them and maybe
    run them through a shell resizer. Just an idea

Lew

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Same problem here but I've only been shooting my (bought new)Gc-7 for about 4 months or so

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stop using the reloaded gun club hulls and see if the problem goes away. HMB

9. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Put some lube on the crosslock and the problem should go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.