1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB GC7 grade III.anyone have exerpiance with it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twotimer, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twotimer

twotimer Member

Just bought a CG7 yesterday. Had to send my 85trr in for service and saw this gun setting there. Been there a long time- NIB. Couldn't stand being without for a couple of weeks. Does anyone have experiance with this gun? Does it shoot as good as it looks? Thanks, Mike

2. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

Have been wondering the same thing. About the only difference I could come up with is that the barrels are not chrome lined on the GC7 and they are on the TTRs.

Are they the same other than this???

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a GC-7 usningle this spring. I have had break open problems and it is getting worse. The cross bolt wants to hang up to where it is hard to open. Not much of a problem with empty chambers. I need to contact SKB and see if there is a warranty ststion.

4. morgan1

morgan1 Member

I have been shooting a CG7 top single all summer and love it, had to have the firing pin polished other than that no problems.

5. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

You've already bought it so what's the point in asking - as for does it shoot as good as it looks? Why don't you tell us by shooting it.

6. twotimer

twotimer Member

Jawari2000, Never thought of that...lol, gonna be out of town for a couple weeks-just wanted to get an idea what to look forward to! Mike

7. w9cos

w9cos TS Member

Well let me tell you my SKB story. I bought a GC7 top single in may. I shot the gun three times and found it to shoot low no matter what i did. I then took it to SKB at the grand and they took it with them. After a month went by i called them and asked them what they had found and they told me the barrel was bad and they were not able to fix it because they have no parts for the top single. The owner(Rob) then told me i had two choices i could pay them another $1000 for the unsingle barrel or i could have my gun back. As bad as i did not want to do anything with them i had no choice but to pay them the money ($800)after 3 calls back and forth. I will not buy another SKB!! Just some info hope yours is a good one.Good luck!

Chris

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It's funny how it always comes back to you get what you pay for. Usually when something cost less it is not as good. Good luck with your SKB company that has shut it's doors.

9. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

w9c0s...Chris:

That's about the worse thing I have ever heard about SKB. Talk about not standing behind their product!

I read a lot here where folks say their customer service is top drawer but hearing this certainly does not seem to support that. They should have taken the gun back. Period.

Any other stories like this out there?

10. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

I called Don at SKB just the other day to inquire about parts availability for warranty and where the dealers are in south Florida.
    SKB is imported from Japan. SKB claims that they do not stock barrels because of the cost involved. They claim to have a minimum of 10 years of warrranty parts on hand for the future.

I can understand this barrel situation but I do not agree with it.
    Anything that has a factory defect should be covered under warranty.
    If you buy an SKB shotgun and the barrel happens to be bad (I've not heard of this except here on this forum (SKB), they keep the money you keep the gun, they charge you to replace a defective part that they do not stock, hmmmmm....
    I guess with that kind of money involved, a Browning isn't that expensive after all.

11. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I owned a GC7 for about 6 months, shot it a lot and had no mechanical problems with it at all. It's basically the same action SKB sold to Weatherby as their Orion model, which has been around for years. The only reason I sold it was because it shot too flat for me. The new owner is happy as a clam with it, I believe.

Don't take one report of bad service as an indicator of how well SKB is supported by Guns Unlimited. The overwhelming majority of service issues have been resolved quickly and completely. If just a few service issues determined the success of a product, then Chevrolet would have been out of business years ago!

I don't think parts availability is an issue, either. Winchester has been out of business a lot longer than SKB, and there are still plenty of parts available for them, too.