1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB GC-7 Report

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

After a good day's shooting a round of Sporting, with Skeet, ATA Trap and three rounds of Wobble Trap thrown in, I can say the GC-7 was a wise purchase.

Despite it being noticeably lighter than either my Browning Trap or Special Sporting, it had no more apparent recoil. With my standard one ounce load at 1250 fps, I did not feel the gun kick once. The barrels are lighter, but not whippy. After blowing through several Sporting targets with the more responsive gun, I got on them well, and the IMOD/Full chokes boiled the targets. Quick True Pairs were no problem.

The gun is very handsome, with SKB's typical excellent metal work, with barrel to frame fit about perfect. The gun felt broke in the first time I opened it. I was surprised with better wood than expected. Also, a GOOD recoil pad, and not the hard "recapped tire" pad common on many guns.

The Briley chokes worked well, but a friend gave me a set of LF and FULL Angleport Extended Gold Chokes, which absolutely BOIL targets. I ran a 50 straight off the ATA 16 yard line with no effort. I was a little rusty on Skeet, but shot as well as anyone on my squad.

The real reason I bought the gun is for Bunker. Yesterday, I could only shoot Wobble Trap, and shot a 24 on my first box. The Bunker loads were like shooting a small bore shotgun. After that, the day's shooting, walking 1 1/2 miles on the Sporting course, and shooting a flat of various ammo at various disciplines began to tell.

All in all, I would recommend this arm to anyone wanting a high quality, GOOD LOOKING shotgun. The handling qualities are superior, and the gun has better triggers than most target guns. Leaf Spring ignition is notably quicker than my coil spring Brownings.

BTW, POI on both barrels are very well regulated at around 60/40, which for me, is a blessing.

Thanks, Don at SKB, and Paul at Gamaliel Shooting Supply for getting this fun gun to me.

2. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Glad you like it. It makes the purchase less painful when you look forward to shooting it again.

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

'Coach,

Which one did you buy, and what length are the barrels?

Thanks,

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.