1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB GC-7 for Bunker?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I keep an inventory of repair parts, and service the SKB shotgun, and it is a good value. I wonder if anyone with the new GC-7 has comments about it. I am looking at the Grade I Clays, 30" fixed stock gun.

Dan at SKB says the Seven is lighter than the 855 and is better suited for Intl' disciplines.

My old faithful Browning Special Sporting Edition is muzzle heavy for Intl' shooting chores.

I am wanting to get back into Bunker shooting. With my health suddenly in a maybe mode, I do not want to buy another high grade gun, relapse, and wind up selling it.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

I like the SKB's. They have a thinner receiver that the Browning and believe they are more lively for bunker. It ain't no Perazzi! Reliability is a factor but if you have a bucket of parts you should be ok.

Tom

3. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

You probably won't need a "bucket of parts" for the SKB! P-gun.....maybe! I have an 85TSS Sporting with 32" barrels and HiGrade wood that swings just fine for Bunker Trap!

AndyH ;-)

4. Shooting Coach

The GC-7 has upgrades to enhance its reliability. When I shot Perazzi, I HAD AND NEEDED a bucket of parts. LOL

Great gun when it had fresh service and springs.

I service the SKB, and have been sitting on parts. They are fairly popular in Middle Tenn for SCTP, and I have only repaired one in two years. Several annuals, it seems many of them are shot with little service or cleaning.

Thanks for the input, Tom. Input from one who walks the walk is always valued.

5. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

my son shoots a GC-7 for trap and loves it, when i purchased it for him i thought he got quite a nice gun and was surprised at the wood that was on it for the basic grade. We have got it adjusted to him now and he broke a 97 to win D class this past Sunday at Jaquas and was about 8 birds ahead of his average in HDCP. he has about 2000 shells through it now, not a lot by some standards but hasn't had any problems thus far. I would reccomend the gun to anyone looking to get in to trap.

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

Shooting Coach...

I have a Perazzi SC1 that is 35 years old, had 300K+ round through it and has had the top lever replaced. 2 hamers (one in each trigger), 2 hammer springs and 1 firing pin. I don't call that excessive. I have had it serviced by either Perazzi USA or Giacomo about ever 7 to 8 years. I did have Doug Breaker do his rebuild job this year. I also have a SKB Sporting clays Gun that I have put maybe 2500 round through since new that I had to have all the springs replaced and the trigger repaired this past year. This is why I made the statement that the SKB "ain't no Perazzi"

Tom

7. Borderland

Borderland Member

Question for shooting coach...in your opinion..is the gc7 mechanically superior to the 85tss or 85ttr ....curiosity question only...I dont have either gun but I may buy one in the future...Thanks for your opinion

8. Shooting Coach

According to Don at SKB, the Seven has enhanced parts and a better cocking foot and spring system. He said the springs should last twice as long as previous models.

Dear Tom

A tired Top Lever Spring probably killed your Top Lever. Slamming the gun shut does not kill the lever. A tired Top Lever Spring allowing the gun to pop open when fired is generally what makes the Top Lever go belly up.

I like to replace them annually, along with firing pins and return springs. I LOVE the Perazzi, but my uncertain health at this point makes the SKB a lot more logical purchase. I tell folks they are good guns, and keep an inventory of repair parts for them. If one talks the talk, he should be able to walk the walk, so to say.

Also, the newer ones I have shot seem incredibly alive in the hands, considering their modest cost.

9. Shooting Coach

I took a look at a two year old Perazzi today that was misfiring. It needed firing pins, a Top Lever Spring, and a new trigger cruciform (tree?). It doubles when top barrel is fired first, and fails to fire when bottom barrel is fired first. The lever is almost at six o'clock. OOPS! the forend was cracked, a big one.

When they are right, they are hard to beat. I still think it helps to be a gunsmith to own about any high volume tournament gun.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a 85TSS unsingle combo...I serviced it with all of the upgraded GC-7 parts, taking the time to do a precision fitting and it is an awesome shooter...I plan on getting another with high grade wood soon because it fits and points so good...I think the last round of improvements are going to make this platform truly bulletproof and the our best and brightest new shooters will prove this out over time,..and that the gun will grab its share of victories too!!

11. Shooting Coach

Dear Calvin

This is the plan from SKB. We Americans shoot the devil out of our target guns.

The last round of updates are to make a great performer even more robust.

Gamaliel has some 85's on sale for a really great price. Sporters, Trap Combos.

Talk to Paul and he will hook you up.

I service this fine arm and am located in Middle Tenn.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hi Coach...since you service the SKBs...would you have any high grade wood laying around..or can possibly get me a better deal than what the factory is charging??...thanks CalvinMD

13. Shooting Coach

Call Don at SKB and see what he will do. Your stock should be fitted at installation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skb gc7

skb gc7 review
skb gc7 top single parts
skb shotgun gc7