1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB = Garbage?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ACooper, Jul 12, 2013.

1. ACooper

ACooper Member

I was reading the CG comparison thread and was surprised to see some speaking poorly of SKB shotguns. I just bought an 85TSS and am quite happy with it. I thought that SKB was a decent gun for the price. I'm not offended but was wondering what some of the members long term experiences have been with these?
    Thanks in advance!
    Coop

2. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

I just bought one too. It doesn't really fit me well right now. I'm not a top flight shooter, but hopefully getting closer every day, shot 23 last night with another gun that fit me much bettr. I've shot 23 only another time or two with my 85 TSS but was worn out afterwards. A gun that fits is much more enjoyable. My learning curve is pretty steep. Guys around me say I'm crawling the stock.

Could never figure out what all these high ribs did. I diddled with mine today with a roll of that 1/2" X 3/8" black door foam tape and some double backed tape. Holy cow, raising the rib and comb made a world of difference in fit for me. I'm a bit thick headed. If the low scores were about function, then I guess I'll find out in the next year or so, as I'm not ready to give my SKB up yet.

As an added note, I also noticed that some top end guns got poor marks by a few. There are bad apples out there in all makers. I just can't spend that much ($5,000, $10,000, and up) on a shotgun yet. Perhaps someday, but for now, I'll spend the difference on more shells or components to improve my eye/bird control.

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

I love my skb, and have some good wins with it.it is a combo and I could not shoot the single barrel well.The gun has held up well and I loved it for doubles,but I never did shoot the single very good.never had a problem with it and I shot it for 3 or 4 years.

4. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I have one, they are a fine shotgun. I finally broke a trigger spring last weekend after 6-8000 rounds. I ordered the part and it took around 15 minutes to change. I am shooting mine pretty well right now, a couple of 99s in singles and a 98 in caps last weekend!

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

SKB are good guns. I also have one. It's a 585 Target

6. alf174

alf174 Member

I too have a 585 gold trap, pretty good gun, a little light weight wise for my taste, and have had a trigger spring break once. I understand that some of the trigger components are cast verses machined, no doubt to keep costs lower, but at the sacrifice of longevity. Happily, I haven't run into a gunsmith that doesn't know how to work on them.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Great guns and any Bozo can work on them!

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I never owned a SKB but there are quite a few people shooting them and some do pretty well. They all seem to go bang every time. I have never seen one fail on the line or heard about any splitting the barrels. I have been to places where people look down their nose at my 682 Gold. When I post a better score than they do, I really do not mind. I would not get too excited about someone else's opinion. If you like it and it works for you, just break 'em all and ignore the chatter.

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Any thing mechanical can and will eventually break down. With that being said, some guns are able to withstand the rigors of tournament shooting better than others.

Years ago, I personally had a SKB 505 combo set and it was a great shooting gun. When I purchased it used (in like new condition) I paid $800.00 for it.

Some of my friends stated that the SKB is considered a league shooters gun. I asked, what does that mean? They said that a lot of league shooters have that brand gun as it was less money and was just good enough to shoot league meaning it would not last without a marriott of breakdowns if one shot a tremendous amount of tournament targets with the gun.

My own experience was that it never broke down, it shot where I looked, and it was a fine gun. After 43 years of trapshooting one thing that I've learned is if you are not shooting the same type guns the all Americans are presently shooting, some people consider a less expensive gun as inferior and that's not the case at all.

In fact, If I could find a J.C. Higgins with a trap stock, and if I could shoot it well, I wood, just to piss off the elite in this sport and join them in the winners circle. It would kill most of them.

Good luck with this fine gun.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Two of the happiest days of my life #1 when I bought my SKB combo and #2 when I sold it.

Clyde

11. ACooper

ACooper Member

Thanks for the replies everyone!

12. missemucho

missemucho Member

SKB's are great guns to buy used; don't have a good resale but they work well and lock up like a bank vault. There are an amazing # of snobs in trapshooting; I've always done well with my Browning, but to some they're a fence post! To each his own.
    John

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A young NC shooter made the All American sub jr first team shooting an SKB last year. Nuff said. He also shot 399/400 targets at a big shoot.

Phil Berkowitz

14. Claybird2

Claybird2 Krieghoff K80 TS Supporters

I've had my SKB 585 Trap for lets see........about 14 years now. Can't tell you how many rounds been through it, but let me tell ya........many !! I shoot trap once, twice a week. Countless 25 straights and a few 99's too !! All this time..........and NOT ONE malfunction !! Still tight lock up. No firing pin/ejector/trigger/springs etc...etc....problems at all. SKB are great guns (for the money).........anyone who says differently doesn't know a "hill of beans" about moderately priced shotguns !!!! I'll put it up against any Citori or SP1 any time !! (..........and I own both !!)

15. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

When I shot skeet 45 ago, I shot Model 12s and a Model 42 for all gauges. As I got more serious, I eventually sold off the smaller gauge pump guns and bought an Ithaca 600 3-barrel 20,28 and 410 set. I shot a lot of straights with that gun and it was a very reliable and quality setup made by SKB. Sold it years later when I went to tubes like everyone else was doing. It would have been a very nice Sporting gun for sub-gauge except for the longer barrels now in vogue.

16. folothru

folothru Member

I have a 85tss up graded wood adjustable comb ,adjustable butt plate what is the going price for these I am going to sell this one .

17. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

I'm with 1 oldtimer on this topic. I owned a three barrel set quite some time ago and it seemed to need some type of parts replacement annually; mostly hammers and springs. I found a gunsmith who was retiring and bought his entire SKB parts inventory for just a few bucks. Fortunate, as they were used by my gunsmith on a regular basis to keep this "wonder machine" shooting. After I had spent over half of what I had paid for the gun in parts and labor I got smart and sold it to someone who wanted it (not a friend!). Oh, what a glorious feeling. Lyle

18. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

My 85TSS worked well for me. Now my son is using it to make me and my 682 look bad. The few he misses have nothing to do with the gun.

I have only replaced one spring and it was not yet broken but did have more than a few thousand rounds on it.

I have not heard of any SKB's needing factory parts kits or blowing up on a routine basis......I guess they do not cost enough to do that.....LOL

19. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Mr. Phil Berkowitz,

I you post about an All-American hooter you wrote "nuff said" then you kept writing. Are you really allowed to do that? Isn't it against protocol?

20. 2013ljuticman

2013ljuticman TS Member

I had a problem with an skb Ithaca century trap.. The barrel separated from the mono block during a round. The gun had less than 1500 rounds through it. Was kind of freaked out noticing it mid round.

- Paul