1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB Combo vs. Browning Combo

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by drbauer65, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbauer65

drbauer65 TS Member

Ok, so this may be a stupid question, but since I can't seem to find an answer, I'm throwing it out there for input. What are everyones opinions on an SKB vs Browning unsingle combo?

Dereck

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

If given the choice I would take the SKB over the Browning any day of the week and twice on the 2nd Monday of the 6th week of a 3 week month.

3. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

And I would do the opposite & choose the Browning. Marv at the Hillsboro (OR) Gun Club swears by his Browning Unsingle Combo, while Ken, at a PITA shoot at the Portland Gun Club this past weekend, had to drop out of the doubles because his new SKB malfunctioned (second barrel would not fire).

4. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

skb all the way; been shooting one for three years no problems.

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

There is only one way to fly. Browning the best there is.

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Browning.... try to sell that SKB and let me know what happens..........

GS

7. jwatts

jwatts TS Member

DR, You will not go wrong with either weapon. I have shot both and each had special featues tha tI liked. I did buy the SKB. As with all shotguns, they all break. When my SKB needd some factory care (3 yrs old, about 50,000 rounds), I sent it to Omaha on a Monday after noon and had it back Saturday. I would venture to say, SKB has the best turnaround and warranty in the business. All the work was free in my instance. I would recommend the SKB without reservations. JT Watts

8. Devilsadvocate

Devilsadvocate TS Member

Both are good choices. They all break at some point. A friend just bought an XT combo and it would not fire lower barrel with any consistancy. Look at the service. SKB is excellent, Browning is the worst in the industry. You can also do a search of threads on each brand and model. Good luck with your choice.

9. 3357

3357 Member

I have been very happy with the SKB I purchased last spring. I am at about 14,000 rounds with no problems.

10. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I will say that I have owned all 3 unsingle combo's (Browning, Beretta and Skb) They were all good guns for me. I now have the Beretta witch I think is the best. The Skb seemed to kick the most out of the 3. If the price is close on all of them the Skb would not be my choice because they do not have the resale the others do.

11. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

I beg to disagree with the statement that "As with all shotguns, they all break." My Ljutic (manufactured in '84) & my Beretta 682 Trap X (bought new in '99), both shot about 7,000 rounds per year, have never misfired or fan-fired or failed to fire. In other words, they've never gotten broken.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Of all the shotguns I've owned and shot ...the least reliable were the Perazzi's..and not just 1 gun ..
    i had three that always broke down when I could least afford for them to...Which is why I'm back to Brownings

13. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Please don't refer to sport shotguns as weapons.

14. The Kissable Wanker

The Kissable Wanker TS Member

CalvinMD,

It's called MAINTENANCE! Perazzi's are one of the most reliable shotguns out there! Even an "Intelligence Challenged" person can replace the few parts that need to be occasionally. Only those who are "coordination challenged" take more than a couple of minutes to change out a spring and that can be anywhere from a few thousand to over 40K, those who buy the cheapest springs tend to have to replace them more frequently. Any gun that is abused and not maintained will fail!

Back to the OP:

drbauer65,

SKB's are coming around, but due to earlier fairly widespread issues the resale value is greatly diminished and may take longer to sell. Fair amount of bangs and whistles. I would suggest that if you are going to buy an SKB to buy new because of this.

Brownings are workhorses, fairly reliable and there are a lot of them around. Fairly decent resale value. Has a reputation of rusting fairly easy if not kept well oiled. I've never found a Browning that fit me well or felt right in my hands. There are a lot of well maintained, good condition O/U's and singles out there. Make sure that you know the fair market value for them, I've seen a few recently that they tried to get a premium price, almost new price.

15. drbauer65

drbauer65 TS Member

I'd like to sincerely thank everyone for their opinions.

Dereck

16. CalvinMD

Mr Wanker...you should have asked a few more questions to know the facts..maintainance was never the issue as anyone who knows me knows I know how to care for and handle my shotguns and they all get the very best of it.My first Perazzi was a nearly new TMX and it was undoubtedly the most reliable of the three...the second was a brand new MX10..that the rib cracked at its pivot point and even after a thorough checking over of both trigger groups ate hammer springs like candy all this in the first season of shooting...The 3rd gun was another brandnew MX2000 combo that I was given a great deal on because the dealer who sold me the MX10 knew it was such a problem child...half way through the 4th event the bottom barrel ejector broke in two with the smaller half flying out on the ground with the fired shell...I finished (and came in runner-up) in the event with my then 10 year old 99Plus. It went to the dealer to be fixed and put on consignment...none of the guns except the TMX ever made it past 1200rds before breaking...not a good track record in anybodys book

17. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Any brand spanking new gun sold that includes a "Spare Parts" kit should be avoided.

18. CalvinMD

Any new gun that needs to use them before the first 90 days of ownership should really be avoided,...I'm sure there are some great ones out there that have been rock solid...that was just not my experience

19. otnot

otnot Active Member

A buddy I shoot with has an SKB and one day at the Grand last year his rib fell off in the middle of an event. He took it down to the dealer and they replaced it for free before the next event. That's customer service.

As to Perazzi, the old MX8 that I shoot did break down once but only after 80,000 rounds and all I had to do to fix the problem was remove the trigger group and put in my spare. Try that with any other gun.

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

They are both very good shotguns. The SKB is not a piece of trash as some would have you believe. I have owned and shot both and a toss up is the way I see it, with this exception. A Browning will hold its value and a SKB will not. You can buy a used SKB combo for around $2000 if you check around and that is the way to buy it. Take your pick, you can't go wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

compare skb vs browning shotgun

skb browning

skb trap combo shotguns

skb trap vs browning trap

skb vs browning

skb vs browning shotguns 2014