1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB Blown Barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by otnot, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otnot

otnot Active Member

I just received these pictures from Yukonjack. Last night this SKB blew up. According to Yukon there was not a barrel obstruction. He also said the barrel was paper thin where it blew out. Luckily no one was injured.

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=image0013.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i76/otnot06/?action=view&current=image001.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what model the SKB was? I thought that the 85TSS models had overbored barrels (.835)

3. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Maybe a little barrel work done at home????

Jim C

4. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Barrel obstruction damage.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Was the shooter using reloads? Load data?

Don

6. otnot

otnot Active Member

He was using new Estates.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If SKB denies any culpability, White Labs is the next stop. They should take care of it for the sake of P. R.

HM

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

22hornet,

Do you mean .735? That is the nominal bore size of the newer SKB's.

ec90t

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

the description of thin is overdone but I do get the point. You all think the barrel should be at least wafer thick instead of paper thin. Perhaps you all know how much pressure should be in the barrel several inches away from the chamber. IMHO - I suspect a partial obstruction caused this. But if you are right and the barrel is too thin for shooting our little target loads, I will tell you a story about Estate shells. Two weeks ago, I was shooting singles and the shooter next to me fired and it sounded like a cannon going off. He was shooting factory shells (estates) but there was at least a double charge in that one. There was more powder in the shell than could even be burned up. but his gun did not blow up either.

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

ec90t...oops. Yes .735 Brain fart.

11. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

well, I was at the club too....and though I didn't see the gun actually blow, I've held the barrel.

The barrel is THIN. Man, thinner than I would have thought. I didn't measure it, but I'll bet beer it's not 1/16th thick where it blew. That picture looks pretty close to actual size, and look how thin the white strip of metal is where it blew out.

I guess I thought they were a lot thicker.

My guess is something in the barrel too...I know the guy who blew it. he did nothing to the gun, I'm sure.

Jeff

12. FLIP

FLIP Member

check the emptys see if a basewad from the hull is missing???

13. acre44

acre44 Member

I have to agree looks like a partial barrel obstruction. I have seen a few like this over the years and it most likely is the cause.

Toad.

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

unless things have changed in very recent past. Estates have a fiber wad at the bottom of the hull and use a 2 piece plastic wad. I have seen the fiber wad in my barrel 2 times. Reason I stopped shooting them in my auto. Im going to guess the blockage was in the barrel when the shot that bumped open the forearm release, damaging the barrel and clearing the obstruction. The following shot just opened her up more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

blown barrel