1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MAX & TOBY, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAX & TOBY

MAX & TOBY Member

Is it true or not that cleaning solvents (Hoppes #9 - Shooters Choice etc.) should not be used to wipe down SKB barrels as it may damage the blueing? Thank You!

2. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

If I remember right from the manual on my 85TSS it is not the bluing, but it will damage/weaken the epoxy that holds the rib on. I know of at least one and have heard of others that have fallen off at inopportune moments. Specifically, it referenced nitro solvents.

3. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

Check out page 12 of the manual at the SKB website. Although it does not specify epoxy, it very clearly states that nitro solvents may cause the ribs to loosen. For the outside they recommend silicon based oil.

85TSS is not just an unsingle, as a matter of fact mine does not have an unsingle only an O/U. No adjuster in front or pin in back.

An unsingle barrel may be very different, but cooch said barrels with an s which would lead me to believe he was talking about O/U barrels and SKB is very specific about that because they have had problems. The good thing is they do not weld them and damage the bores as browning has been known to do.

http://www.skbshotguns.com/parts-and-wood/over-under/ou-manual.php

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

I had a 605 trap combo back in the mid 90's and the rib did come loose on it. I sent it back and they reattached the rib, but it didn't shoot the same when I got it back and I traded it off. Never knew for sure why, but the epoxy disolving makes sense.

5. MAX & TOBY

MAX & TOBY Member

Thank You all for the feed back. Atleast I know my hearing hasn't failed me. I just got confused between blueing and rib. Thanks Again!

6. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

don't have the can in front of me, but is G96 a nitro solvent?

7. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Thanks, jagrdawger. That's a bit of info I did not know. ...Bob_K...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.