1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB Any good?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Lither, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lither

Lither TS Member

Have a chance to buy an SKB 505 for a decent price, (based on my research)
    I have never been around any SKB guns, just looking for some insight on them. Are they a quality gun? overrated? plagued with problems?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Len

2. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I had a 505. Wouldn't own one now as a boat oar.

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

I don't think you'll find a company that goes out of its way more to provide fast service to its customers if you need it.

Mike

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

If you have or can get the serial# I would suggest you contact SKB and ask to trace the serial# for you. They will be able to tell you when it was produced and sold along with if there has been any problems or issues with that particular gun that you might want to either have fixed or ask if has been fixed.

SKB is a good company with some of the better customer service in the industry.

5. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

Before you purchase remember what SKB stands for. It is an acronym for S#*T Kicking Bi$#h! just my 2 cents worth. Matt

6. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

Len, a good friend of mine shoots an SKB and he shoots its very well. It does breakdown from time to time but I have never seen a company with faster repair service! Len, if the gun fits you and the price is right..I say buy it!

Rick

7. buckwheat

buckwheat TS Member

Find out how good a SKB is for only $20. Decatur GC SCTP Raffle, your choice of and SKB 85 TSS, 12 Ga, o/u, in either trap, skeet, or sporting clays configuration. Or you can opt for the value of the gun. Some tickets remain available. Help support our SCTP trapshooting program. Mail your check to Decatur Gun Club
    c/o Dan King
    9643 N Rt 51
    Decatur, IL

Thanks in advance for your support.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Great way to throw a little spam into the world Buckwheat. ;-)

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I have acquaintances owning and shooting (a lot) SKB 85TSS traps and they are happy with them and shooting respectable scores. I've never owned one but remember some complaints coming from folks in the previous models. If it were me, I'd test drive the gun you're looking at with a lot of shooting, maybe over several sessions and then decide if it was for me or not....Bob Dodd

10. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

SKB┬┤s are durable, well made and balance nicely, the only but is that some folks consider them "kickers".

Regards,

Berettaman7

11. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Len, do yourself a favor man. Unless you want to be married to it, stay away from the 505, because you'll never get rid of it (as the 'decent' price explains). They're field guns with MC stocks on them and were not designed to take the pounding a trap gun does. The lock itself is strong. Everything else about the gun is lightweight.

Most people yammering that the 85TSS is so great bla bla bla don't know squat about the 505. I had one, and there's no durability in the internal workings.

If it's cheap and an occasional shooter, fine. But don't think you can put 10K rounds a year through it as a primary gun.

They **say** that they've fixed the triggers on the 85TSS, backbored the bbls, etc. If they have, it's far better than the 505.

12. winchesterAA

winchesterAA Member

I think SKB stands for " Shoulda Known Better!

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

There was an article by "Average Ed" on them awhile back. Evidently they have fixed the earlier problem with the hammer springs and a couple of other small quirks. Once they did that, Owners I have talked to realy like them and I doubt if you can get the whistles and bells on any other gun for the price. My wife owned a 500 Trap model a few years back and other than replacing one spring it never gave a minutes trouble. A friend of my in KY shoots one and swears by it. Opinions are like certain body parts that EVERYBODY has one and of course everybody thinks their's is special. My advice is talk to people who have actually OWNED one. Shoot one and make up your own mind.

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I have an SKB Int.Trap that I bought as my first O/U in 1979 I've shoot thousands of rounds at clays and upland game,it has never failed to fire. It points well and swings right for me. My complaint is that it kicks like a mule! When I shoot targets with it I use AA light loads that's it. Any other shell in the gun beats me to death. That said reliability, metal to wood fit, wood and engraving are awesome

15. CraigP

CraigP TS Member

I bought an SKB 600 back in 1975 and I still have it. The gun has never given me any kind of problem. Has shot more trap than you can shake a stick at. There a fine gun.

16. Bullheaded on SKB

Bullheaded on SKB TS Member

SKB, manufacturers one of the finest all purpose shotguns out in the market. The service team is second to none. A current member of the U.S.Olympic team uses an SKB and placed in the World Games. If you don't own an SKB yet, get out and buy one. You won't be sorry.

Chet

17. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Had wonderful dream last night. Dan BEE losing a major shoot off to two other shooters. One with an 870 and the other an SKB. Both were wearing wall mart tennis shoes.

18. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I once owned a 505. What can I say about it? It was inexpensive and okay for the money, it never broke down for me. A Silver Seitz it ain't.

It has a reputation as a "kicker". This is almost certainly because of the stock dimensions, which are similar to those of the Winchester 101, another gun with similar rep. Yeah, it beat me and I decided it wasn't worth extensive stock work, so I sold it. If you can test fire the gun and find it to be comfortable, that would remove one possible objection. Obviously, some folks have no trouble with it.

Good luck.

19. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Spend a few hundred more and get a real gun. "BROWNING"

20. Lither

Lither TS Member

Acyually, I found out recently that it was a 585 delux field. Any difference between 505 and 585?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

505 585 skb difference

are skb trap guns good

difference between the skb 505 and 585

skb 280 any good

skb trap gun any good

skb685 trap guns