1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

skb again

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Hello everyone and happy new year! I have been carefully researching single barrel trap guns for value and usability [and looks to a degree]. I am essentially a thrifty sort and don't like paying too much for un-necessary frills. What I have decided I need is a reliable unsingle with adjustable comb and rib. I have had 3 bt-99's but would like to break from them at this time. Mainly because everybody shoots them and I want something that I can find on the rack. I am replacing a stolen gun,fyi. I still keep coming back to SKB. I know about the dicontinuation of new guns and it makes me a little nervous. Can a company that goes out of business be a quality gunmaker? Anyway I think I'm going to buy a new GC-7 soon. Can anyone tell me of a better value with the features that I have mentioned? thanks Bill Wheeler

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Hello everyone and happy new year! I have been carefully researching single barrel trap guns for value and usability [and looks to a degree]. I am essentially a thrifty sort and don't like paying too much for un-necessary frills. What I have decided I need is a reliable unsingle with adjustable comb and rib. I have had 3 bt-99's but would like to break from them at this time. Mainly because everybody shoots them and I want something that I can find on the rack. I am replacing a stolen gun,fyi. I still keep coming back to SKB. I know about the dicontinuation of new guns and it makes me a little nervous. Can a company that goes out of business be a quality gunmaker? Anyway I think I'm going to buy a new GC-7 soon. Can anyone tell me of a better value with the features that I have mentioned? thanks Bill Wheeler

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

"Can a company that goes out of business be a quality gunmaker?" Hi-Standard made excellent guns and they went out of business. Mike.

4. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

SKB did not go out of business on a quality issue. The Japanese government stopped subsidizing the company. SKB USA is still up and running with parts for the next decade. Rob is looking for another manufacturer in Italy at this time.
    You can't ask for a better gun for the money. I have them. If interested call me.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Why not go looking for a used Kolar? You end up getting the best back-up in the industry, plus a platform to build upon in the future, to include a trip to Racine for a fitting session with Jeff Mainland. I understand they are under priced, and available. I'd put the Max TA at the top of my list because it can wear so many hats.

best...mike

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ithaca 4e...

7. citadel

citadel Active Member

The SKB model 85TSS is simply the very best value in the market for price and quality. If you watch onTS you can find a great set very lightly used for under 2,000 including the double and an unsingle barrel, case, chokes and adjustable comb. Nothing else comes even close if you want a new design and in unsingle barrel. Next in line price wise is a Beretta set that will set you back about an additional 1,000.
    Both my wife and I have a set, mine as a back up and hers as her primary gun when we are traveling. They are well constructed and SKB here in the USA has excellent service
    Good luck
    DOUG

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

A "thrifty sort" should stick with a BT. If you really want an adjustable rib look for a BT99AR. Doubt anyone would steal your SKB though.

9. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Monsoors BT99ARs with Tron installed Gracos,

10. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

SKB is a great value. I've owned a 85ttr for three years now. Love it. I shoot about 25k rounds through it every year. Only broke once ( firing pin/spring issue. I send the gun in every winter to Omaha. Having them replace all the worn parts and labor runs about 350. The people running the repair in Omaha are VERY nice and I've gotten my gun back in nothing more than 10 days each time. I highly reccomend them and they're SKB's.

11. Mel12

Mel12 TS Member

I have a high grade 85tss unsingle that I really enjoy shooting. I decided to buy one after shooting a good friend of mine's gc7 unsingle. I think they are just as nice a quality as my browning gun. Plus you can't beat the "cool" factor of an unsingle.

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I had a bt99 and a skb gc-7 for my kids. I can't tell you why but both of my kids would rather shoot the skb over the bt99. I would not say the skb is better than the bt but it damn sure is as good.

13. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

My experience with SKB 85TSS ... is it is a more comfortable, softer shooting gun than the B-99. I also prefer the weight distribution, balance, swing (whatever you want to call it) of an unsingle. The extra-wide rib of the SKB definitely catches your eye when mounting the gun. I wasnt sure I would like it - but the SKB ended up shooting very well for me. However, I sold the 34" unsingle in favor of a 32". The 34" SKB unsingle feels a little barrel (front) heavy .... and I would rather swing a 32" gun for singles.

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The 85 is, without a doubt, a lot of gun for the money.

I have enough parts to keep one running for a century, and I am not talking a lot of parts. They are simply great guns.

15. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

I'll second what Citadel said,the MOST bang for your buck,
    I,ve owned one for over a year now 5-8k rounds,absolutely no
    Issues.
    Can a company go out of buisness and be a quality gunmaker ?
    Funny, you never hear anyone say that about Model 12's
    Shoot Well
    Jim

16. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I had very good luck with the SKB 85 TSS and the service in Omaha was great! I would like: 85TTR Combo, 34"/30", hi-grade wood, Monte Carlo, left hand! Has anyone seen that combination??

17. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I can tell you from experience the SKB is a nice gun. I had the 85 in a 32". That being said, I purchased a 28 ga GC-7 and had trouble with it from the get go. Shot only around 100 rounds through it and the barrels came apart like a stalk of celery. Sent it back under warranty and took 5 months to get back. Their warranty is not even done by them, they use a third party and you wait your turn inline as the third party does different brands not just SKB. Beware on warranty work.