1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB 85TSS unsingle F/S

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike Battista, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Price reduced
    An SKB 85TSS unsingle, 34" barrel, standard wood, adj comb, adj butt pad, double release trigger (Glen Hunting), $1500.00
    Mike Battista

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

That is a lot of gun for the money, Mike.

I service the SKB in Middle Tennessee. Great gun, great company.

Don't let the leaf springs scare you away. They ARE better than coils. Just make sure your SKB gets an ANNUAL service. You will have a no problem, high performance firearm.

3. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Leaf springs are better than coils? Please quantify that for us.

4. acre44

acre44 Member

Thanks for the chatter on leaf springs vs coils. I didn't know much and was thinking about picking up this gun. However with that little tidbit thrown in and a yearly service being necessary, I will look for something else. I have been shooting the same gun for 3+ years with no service being needed, I personally clean the gun after every outing with no probs.

5. Shooting Coach

I suggested that one NOT let leaf springs cause one to reject a firearm.

The ONLY advantage a coil spring has is that it will seldom break.

It WILL fatigue, and cause reliability issues.

It has its highest potential when cocked, and hammer is farthest away from firing pin. This can increase wear and tear on hammer and sear surfaces.

It has its least power as the hammer strikes the firing pin.

The leaf spring WILL often break. Replacement is almost always easier and quicker than a coil spring.

The leaf spring has its lowest power when cocked.

It has its highest power as the hammer strikes the firing pin.

Lock time is faster with a leaf spring fire control group. Wear and tear is often less on hammer and sear surfaces.

I thought enough of the SKB design to inventory a signifigant amount of parts and tools for service of it. I consider it a superior design to many popular firearms. I also stock parts and perform service for Beretta, Remington, Browning, Krieghoff, Winchester, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Glock (they have the best warranty of ALL), Colt's, and other fine firearms (which ALL require service, from time to time). I formerly performed service on Perazzi's, as well, but have not had a request for service or repair in a while.

I am rather obsessive about maintenence. I keep my firearms in top shape.

For the average shooter, running the gun until it stops working is the usual procedure.

Most every firearms maker suggests annual service for tournament guns. We will often run as many rounds through our guns in a year as the average hunter does in a lifetime!

6. 5spd

5spd TS Member

All that spring info is helpfull to me as I am looking for an SKB 85TSS or TTR combo outfit. The guys that have em at the range have had no issues with them from what they have said about them when I asked.

7. Shooting Coach

I am surprised no one took a bite about Glock having the best warranty of any firearm! LOL

They really do.

8. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

will trade 3200 special trap with timney double release for this gun.Thanks,Todd.

9. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

I guess I'm jest an old truck mechanic but I sure dont understand about a leaf spring having its lowest power when cocked. Seems like when the hammer is cocked the leaft spring would be tensed up ready to spring just like a coil spring would be. IF it aint how would pulling the trigger cause anything to happen? I know when I cock the hammer on my old peascemaker that hammer spring is tensed up until I pull the trigger. How does aleaf spring make the lock time faster? Aint all the shotguns with the fastest lock times have coild springs? Please explain.

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Glock has the best best warranty of any firearm!

11. Shooting Coach

Dear Dednlost

That is the way they are, due to design of the spring.

Find or buy a leaf mainspring, and compress it with pliers or tool. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Also, you can Google this. For those of us who have installed both, the difference is obvious.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Glock with the best warranty?????

How can it get any better than the lifetime full warranty that comes with each and every Springfield pistol?

13. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Springfield is a wannabe johnny come lately company with that warranty and is just trying to imitate the one and only company with simply the very best warranty of them all ... Taurus.

14. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

Mike, my 3200 and 250.00 cash? email vyja4@aol.com

15. Shooting Coach

Glock certifies Armorers who can order and install repair parts in the field for your pistol.

I forgot to mention, the parts are free, and a Glock Armorer is forbidden to charge for repair.

If a fellow shooter brings me a Glock needing service, I perform it, check and replace needed parts gratis. Glock has sent me a small stash of service parts and springs. If I replace a recoil spring, I call Glock and they send me another one, free. If a shooter wants to upgrade to night sights and he has them, I install them free. No problem.

This is the best warranty of any gunmaker. If there is not a Glock Certified Armorer near you, I apologize. I perform this service in the Middle Tenn area.

OTOH, a fellow called me who had dropped his Glock out of a 3rd story apartment window onto a parking lot. The recoil spring boss broke off the slide.

In this case, Glock wants the pistol back to fit a slide, and yes they are going to charge the customer for the repair.

16. tv-todd

tv-todd Member

I have a citori plus,double release triggers,browning case.will trade for the skb.Thanks,Todd.

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Shooting Coach:

I take exception to your comment that Glock has the best warranty of all.
    I own both Glock and Smith & Wesson. To my knowledge, S&W is the only
    company that offers a lifetime warranty that also pays the next day air charges
    both ways. As you probably know, the shipping charges on a handgun are often
    $60.00 or more. I don't believe Glock will match S&W's program.

18. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ah screw Gloock and Smitty & Western ... get yourself a Tauraus, far cheaper gun and far better warranty. They were about the first to offer the lifetime deal and everyone else was just the johnny come along later type and try and hope can now be better.

Tauraus ... the one and only quality gun company in the world with the best warranty of all.

19. trappug

trappug TS Member

20. Shooting Coach

Dear Buster

Only Glock trains Armorers in the field who can repair your firearm ON THE SPOT without delay or shipping charges. I have a small stock of parts I can use on the spot. If I need a part, I make a call, get the part and install it free.

As an added service, if a shooter wants different sights on their Glock, I will install their sights free of charge, while they wait.

The last set I installed was in the passenger seat of the shooter's car while he was on a lunch break. It only cost him gas to meet me in the parking lot of a local gun shop.

Schmidt Und Weasel does have a lifetime warranty, and at times will pay shipping, but you are still without the firearm for the turnaround time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.