1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB 85TSS owners sound off

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by revsublime, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I will be picking up my 85TSS unsingle combo this weekend and was wondering if you owners had any suggestions on what to look for.

I know to check for the noisy top lever, but I am thinking this should be a non-issue as the gun was sent to factory in February for a tune-up.

Getting it for $2200, guy said SKB was going to sponsor his son in shooting until son opted to get into motorcross instead.

So for $2200 I am getting the unsingle combo, case, and one of those gaudy SKB range bags. Seeing as they go for $3185 new, Im thinking I got a pretty good deal. Only had 500 shells through it since the tune-up.

He has another one available if anyone is interested...

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Not a bad deal ... did you get the one with the adjustable pad or without or did both of them have adjustable pads?

3. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Is this guy in Oregon? If so, he had this gun listed on the PITA website for $2000. If its the one Im thinking of it has a gooey pad.

Just FYI

Forrest

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

That is the one I was thinking of as well. Overall not a bad deal at $2200 but I would get the serial number and check with SKB to see just what was done to the gun and why.

5. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Both have adjustable comb and recoil pad, and yes...it's a gooey.

He's not in Oregon, but close. Just about 45 minutes south of me in Washington.

He said they replaced hammer springs, firing pin, retractor springs, both sear springs, and cocking shoe springs and cleaned & lubed it.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

http://www.shootpita.com

Check out the classified page and look down about 1/2 way. Is it the same gun as posted for sale on April 30th for $2000? If it is I would offer him $1800 (if its not to late) and if he balks tell him you could split the difference at $1900 since he was asking $2000 back in April.

Prices are supposed to go down with time .... not up.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

BTW ... not adjustable comb but adjustable butt pad. I would also check to see if the LOP was changed at all when they installed that adjustable pad.

8. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Ooooh...i think i will call him on that. But since he is working with my on the payment, I will just go with the $2000 on the PITA site. I've got to believe it's still a good deal @ $2200.

In re: to l.o.p. change due to the adj recoil pad. This can only work in my favor as I have monkey arms and a giraffe's neck...heh

9. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Correction...it looks like a little may have been taken off for the jones pad. I'll mount it and see if thats a problem. Still, an unsingle combo at this price...i'll buy a spacer if need be.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

$2000 is a sweeter deal and especially since he is giving the SKB bag and the hard case with the gun.

I wonder if the other has an adjustable pad as well?

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

He gave me the impression that both were the same.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

drats ... I would be interested and even more interested if it did not have an adjustable pad not only because it would be cheaper but SKB's fit me about perfect off the shelf. The only other drawback would be the monte carlo stock ... I shoot everything from a low gun except trap and once in a great while I will shoot bunker trap from mounted gun but other than that ... low gun and monte carlo stocks for me just dont work.

I have recently found though a NIB 30" adjustable straight comb for a very sweet price that I'm thinking of snagging to shoot.

Good luck with this gun ... I would though call SKB and ask them about the service done on this gun. That was allot of tune-up replacing of basic parts for such a new gun.

13. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I think all the work was done due to them sponsoring him in competition, but I'll check it out.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... I find all that sponsoring a little strange as well. SKB would sponsor a kid to shoot and then WHAM ... he decides he wants to race motorcycles instead so he just stops shooting ... I wonder if SKB ever did really sponsor them with free guns or maybe just the free bags?

15. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i dont think either were free...perhaps the tune-up.

16. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I was a little leary of his story too. Im not saying that he isnt an honest person, just that it seemed all too odd to me b.c the story I got was that he was selling this gun which was HIS, not his kids. He was selling it so that he could help fund his kids trips to more shoots. He said he wanted to be able to spend more money on his kid shooting and he wasnt shooting well so he was selling this one. He never mentioned motorcross to me. I almost bought this one but it seemed too good to be true.

Forrest

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the tune-up was done for free and still under a warranty period since the gun on April 30th was less than one year old but it does seem like a heck of allot of things done to such a new gun unless they really shot the bejeebers out of them which still wouldn't hurt an SKB.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

I couldn't kind of agree more Forrest, something does sound a little strange.

Rev ... call SKB 800-752-2767 and ask about the serial numbers AS18298 & AS18148 and see what the exact deal was on them. If they were sponsoring the kid they should also be able to tell you ... just to verify the guys story.

19. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Wow...where's ya score the sn's?

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

BTW ... I am not trying to spoil the deal for you or the seller. But I saw the deal back in early May and there is some kind of funny questionable stories Jack has given to various other people. It kind of made me shy away as a deal to good to be true might haunt me in the long run and ... well ... I might be sorry for not jumping back then or now or in the future but ... check it out before you jump and good shooting if you get the gun.

I never called SKB to check the SN#'s because of strange feelings, I should have but I just didn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skb ttr firing pin