1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB 85TSS Opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I know that this has been brought up a lot in the past, but I figured i'd see if I can get any new opinions.

I am looking at a SKB 85TSS Unsingle for my next trap gun. For those of you that own this gun:

1. How long have you owned it and approximately how many rounds have been through it?

2. Have you had any problems?

3. In your opinion, is it a good gun for the money?

Thanks in advance!

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I really can't speak from experience, because I just got mine last night. Several people at the club have been shooting them, since their introduction, and have had no problems to my knowledge. I believe them to be a very good gun for the money involved, but with the trend to-wards high rib guns the Guerini might be a better deal.

Big Dave

3. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I have shot and sold several SKB Unsingles and combos. Mine was shot last season about 15,000 rounds without a solitary problem. In my opinion it's the best bang for the buck.

4. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

JBM, my shooting buddy has the 85TSS combo and shoots it very well. Admittingly, he had problems with flat springs and firing pins. But,since SKB changed their firing pins his gun has worked like a charm. The company's service is second to none! The 85TSS is probably one of the best moderate priced combo guns you can buy! Good luck!

Rick

5. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

I speak for experience as a owner of a 85TSS combo. I have had this gun for 2 yrs, about 10,000 rounds through it, no problems, feature for feature they beat any gun in there price class and many a higher priced gun. buy the up grade wood and they match many guns costing three times as much. good shooting,

6. rhmt

rhmt TS Member

Heelo-

I have had 2 85 TSS and can't say enough positive about them. I have one unsingle for sell if you are interested. I want to buy the new one, is why I'm selling mine, otherwise I would keep it. The hammer spring has a history of breaking, and did in the first one I had after about 15,000 rounds. It took a gunsmith less then 5 minutes to change and showed me how to do it. Its very simple, the springs are $14.00 from SKB. Very, very low recoil.406-755-4543 and email is rodh@bresnan.net

7. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If you want an unsingle SKB, call me.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

8. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

My 85TSS is 3 years old and NO problems. I only have the unsingle,so I can't speak for the combo's.VERY good gun. I had mine fitted by a pro ,and leave all the adjustments alone (rib/comb).

9. 25yrds

25yrds TS Member

Bought a combo about 3 years ago. I've owned 2 Perazzi combos, a TM-1,
    3 Citoris, a 90-t, 2 101s, a 390 and (still) a Beretta 686. The SKB is the only one that hasn't given me fits in one way or another. Only have about 10,000 rounds through it though. It won't win any beauty contests but when the money is on the table I have no problems depending on it.

Jim

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I have the sporting clays model. 20000 rounds so far without a hiccup. I'm left handed, and the gun fits me well, as it has a neutral cast with an adjustable comb. I plan to change the hammer springs before this spring, but I consider that routine maintenence. Great bargain for the money.

11. shadow

shadow Active Member

I bought mine second handed and WELL used. Shot it regularly for about a year, then broke a spring. I had a friend carry it to the Grand for me this past year and he left it with the factory folks for a new spring. One week after the Grand my gun was delivered to my doorstep with a COMPLETE OVERHAUL!!---NO CHARGE! If there is better or cheaper service than that I would like to know who has it.

Oh yeah---I shoot the SKB just as poorly as I do any of the rest of them, ad I have had a bunch of "high dollar" trap guns over the years.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

If the resale value is not what you think it should be, maybe you might want to take a look at a used one. I did, and am delighted with it and the company that makes them.

13. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Thanks for all the opinions so far, keep them coming! Thanks for the offer rhmt but I am interested in a new model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.