1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB 85TSS....any opinions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Yardmasterjeff, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yardmasterjeff

Yardmasterjeff TS Member

Anyone have any experience with the SKB 85TSS? I've been looking for an affordable intro to the unsingles. Need opions please.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jeff, You will get alot of opions on this one. My feelings on this gun is that it is as good as a newer browning. SKB has a much better factory service than Browning. So I hear!! Alot of shooters have been put off with SKB's because of their older guns. They were well known recoil kickers, and I heard had some problems with some models triggers as well. SKB will help you get new triggers for the old guns and are trying there best to get shooters back to buy there guns. Alot of shooters still think poorly about them and because of this they do have a poor resale value. If you can get a used one at the good price though you can't really go wrong. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

This is a great gun for the money.My son and I both have one and have been shooting them for 2 years.SKB is a very good company to work with and based out of Omaha Nebraska. Good Shooting

4. Yardmasterjeff

Yardmasterjeff TS Member

I thank you for your opinions. I noticed on the SKB website that for 2008 they have a model 85TTS. What is the difference? Is it just an upgrade? Also, what is the better deal.....just the unsingle or the combo? Thanks

5. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

I bought a used SKB 85TTS from the Indiana Gun Club in September. This is my first true trap gun. It is an unsingle and I really like it. I shoot a high gun so the high rib helped me alot. The gun is heavy enough to absorb recoil so that is not much of an issue. I shot a 94 on my first registered singles with it. (I went brain dead on my last field.) The gun is a quality gun for the money. I am going to buy a new 85TTS combo this spring. I don't think you will be unhappy with this gun.

6. jwatts

jwatts TS Member

Yardmaster - As another said earlier, you will get many opinions on the SKB trapguns. I have owned the 85TSS combo for about 3 years. I have put at least 50,000 rounds through it. I would suspect the Browning combo is just as nice, but for my money I went with the SKB. My trigger action did break this Fall. I called the factory representatives in Omaha (it is not Guns Unlimited anymore). I boxed the gun up and sent it to them (via UPS)on Tuesday morning, they called on Wed and explained the problem they found. They also told me the stock had a bad crack in it. SKB replaced both broken items for free. I had the gun back too me by Saturday. My only cost was the initial shipping. You will hear mention of the SKB trigger spring breaking. Well... all trap guns break. However, you will not hear of a firm that provides better, faster and friendlier service than the SKB people. So, when considering a purchase, I suggest you also consider the warranty and how the manufacture stands behind the gun when something breaks. The SKB service is better than those folks that pay $10k and more for the upper end shotguns. JT Watts

7. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

I personaly feel the combo is the way to go. Guns Unlimited has a great selection and is helping SKB close out some of the remaining 85TSS models. They have some very good prices marked on these guns. Good Shooting

8. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

i have one now for the third year 20,000 rounds thru it no problems. months ago i got a call from them in omaha, wanted to know the serial number, gave it to them, they said that is due for approx. 600 dollars worth of upgrades, i sent it to them and it was done. great gun and service.

9. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

I own the combo and this has been a great gun! I took mine to the Grand and left it with the guys from SKB, two days later my gun was returned with all the upgrades done and they took the time to show me how to change my leaf springs if the need were to arise. Great gun, great service...you won't be sorry you bought the SKB...hope this helps.
    Grant

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

I have one that I bought second handed. The gun shoots great for me and with little recoil. Broke a trigger spring right before the Grand and sent the gun to Sparta with a friend. Two weeks later the gun was delivered to my door with a complete rebuild--NO CHARGE ! Where else can you beat it?

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

It is not a model change but a change to offer a tapered rib model on the trap guns along with the regular rib model as well ... nothing more than that Frank and I dont think that is really considered a change in models but more like an available option.

12. VAMiket

VAMiket Member

I bought an un-single and shot it for about 6 months. I really liked the gun it shot well, moderate recoil, and no mechanical problems. But I am left handed and I could not get the stock where I needed it to shoot consistent scores. I spoke with the factory at the time and they advised they had no plans for LH stocks. If I could have purchased a LH stock, I would probably be shooting it today.

13. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

How come they are not sold in Canada ?

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I have an 85tss with the Graco adjustable comb. I'm a southpaw, and it shoots where I'm looking at the pattern board. At targets, well, that's another story...but it ain't the gun :)! It doesn't kick as much as my 3200, either.

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Bryn, I recall speaking with the SKB guy at the Grand a few years ago and he told me that the cost of exporting to Canada would be expensive due to the cost of permits from the US government. They couldn't justify the cost based on the expected sales. Bill Malcolm

16. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Take one out and shoot it. You'll like it. I sell several of them. I will not sell junk just to make a sale.
    Mike Battista

17. 3357

3357 Member

Yardmaster--I purchased one (85TSS-UN-single) this spring/shot it all summer (about 7ooo rounds total) and have had no problem. I read all the criticism but after looking at the gun thought it was a great value and one season later I have no regrets. I did order a spare hammer spring but have had no need for it so far. jess

18. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

Regarding bringing SKB to Canada it just does not figure.
    We have all the others including even the new Guerini. They have all made it
    over the border. I personally know many shooters who just can't afford the P & K guns but probably would look really closely at a New Combo for the price that you can buy an SKB for. I am also included in that group.
    If SKB ever decides to take the first step into Canada
    I would bet they would sell quite a few guns up here and real quick too .

19. Yardmasterjeff

Yardmasterjeff TS Member

I'm amazed at the response. I don't think I've ever seen so many people happy with a company's service. I thank everyone for their responses. I'm sold. Now to find the best deal new or used. Thanks

20. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I'm on my 3rd year with an 85TSS unsingle.It took me a couple of months to get used to a high rib.I went to a stockfitter a year ago and he adjusted the rib,comb,and added a kickeeze with spacer adjustments (about 3/4" longer LOP and some pitch adjustment).Ran my first 25 straight 2 weeks after that. I think it's a GREAT gun. I'm a south paw.My buddy shot it right-handed last week for first time and missed only his 21st bird.He commented on it's soft recoil and said something like " All you gotta do is look at the bird,point, and shoot".I had a comp-n-choke Modified in ...but from 16yds he was smoken em.
    No problems with mine as of yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.