1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB 85 TSS Trap Combo or bt-99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by burchell, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burchell

burchell TS Member

I can buy a used skb 85 tss trap combo 34"/32" or a bt-99 with adj comb for about the same price is the skb a better choice being that it has 2 barrels. Is there an advantage buying a new gun compared to a used?

2. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you plan on shooting doubles,the SKB would be the way to go. I had a SKB combo. Never shot it very good. Finally sold it at the Vandalia Grand

3. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

I would take the SKB combo because I'd like to shoot doubles with it. I have owned the BT 99 years back and it is a great shotgun too. If the used gun is in top shape go used. You don't need to impress anyone except yourself. I am a Retired Mechanical Engineer, Tool & Die maker and former owner for 32 years of my Dad's shop. So I compare Engineering Design, Machining and Craftsmanship. I look at them from a perspective of which gun would I clone if I were to clone one in my shop and what engineering features make one better than the other in my opinion. There are many engineering subtleties between brands and much to compare. Sometimes economics is the only way to decide. "Strike while the iron is hot". Try it you'll like it, if not, put it back up for sale, another "fool" will come along.

Harry Lyga

4. citadel

citadel Active Member

You are comparing apples and oranges. The BT99 is only good for singles. A great gun but no flexibility. The SKB set is good or all trap and with the right chokes for skeet and sporting clays It is as they say above very useful for all uses and will allow you to play all the games. The BT-99 only knows how to play one game that is 16 to 27 yd singles trap. Used SKB 85TSS sets are available for as little as aobut 1600 here on Trapshooters from time to time so if cost and flexibility are important then the SKB is an excellent choice. I have both an SKB set and a BT 99 and the quality on both is excellent. The SKB are a great bargin if you watch closely for one to come up for sale in the 1600 to 1800 range.
    Doug

5. glenns

glenns Member

I have not shot an SKB but I love my BT-99.

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've owned both and the SKB is a better handling gun to me.

ss

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

I'll sell you my SKB combo and americase for $2000.00 Best bang for the buck.

blade819

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I've never shot an SKB so i can't give an honset opinion. I am however shocked that the scale is tipped to the SKB over the Browning. Of course it would be awful tough to shoot doubles with a BT. If singles are all you are interested in, i'd find one of those mid to late 70's BT's. Gotta get me one of those someday.

9. pbrotcke

pbrotcke TS Member

I have owned and shot both. I still have a BT-99 in my safe as a backup. I sold the SKB.

You might consider used Miroku or something similar for doubles. It and the BT should still come around the same cost as the SKB combo.

There is not much advantage in buying a new gun versus a used gun. You can mark up a used gun as easily as a new gun.

10. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Both good guns, but at the same price you have to go with the combo.

11. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

I have had both. But I still have the BT-99. If you only shoot singles, I say go with the BT-99. Tim

12. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I prefer the BT but I have had a lot of SKB's over the years and I have never had a bad one.

13. flasch192

flasch192 Member

skb hands down

14. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I never have shot a BT well did shoot the 85TSS well, just a word to the wise they do break fireing pins from time to time.

SKB if the money were mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
miroku trap shotgun review bt99 clone

skb 85tss trap combo

skb or bt99