1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SKB 85 TSS Combo Like/Dislike

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil R, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

The SKB 85 TSS Combo seem to have a fair price. I wonder what experience (positive or negative)some folks on the forum have had with it? I am not at all interested in comparing it to a "P" gun or to a "K" gun. I think the only price competive set is the Browning XT Combo only available from one dealer (at least till next year) For this guy K & P guns are out of my price range. I would appreciate any feedback. Many thanks , and I hope all have a nice Easter.
    Neil R.

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

2 shooters at our club have them. Absolutely love them. No problems of any kind after 1 entire year of shooting. Seem like a lot of bang for the buck !!.......Uncle Sam, Pa.

3. Robert Long

Robert Long Member

Niel,

I love mine !

Rob Long

4. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Love the SKB 85 TSS Combo, would buy one now if I could, but already bought a couple other guns.

Its a great gun for the money, I would invest in the fancier wood option.

Berettaman7

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I had a skb combo and traded it for an xt and a bt99. My thought was that I could have 2 guns instead of 1 for near the same money. Witch makes sense to me with 3 kids shooting trap. As far as that, I liked the skb and never had any probs with it. One other thing. There customer service is very good. They seem to service what they sale with no questions asked.

6. Montagnana2

Montagnana2 TS Member

Neil,

I bought an 85TSS combo last May from Mike Battista at Silver Dollar and had a release trigger installed by Glen Hunting. I was aware of the possibility of hammer spring and cocking rod spring breakage and got extras from SKB. The hammer spring on the lower barrel failed two weeks ago, but it's cheap and easy to replace by any qualified gunsmith. SKB suggests regular replacement every season, which I consider routine maintenance. As to the gun itself, I absolutely love it. I've improved my scores and have put about 6000 shells through the single. I would definitely suggest getting the adjustable comb and the upgraded wood. The lacquer finish was too shiny for my tastes so I dulled it down a bit with Micromesh 3200 and it looks a lot better now. I don't know what price you are quoted but both Mike Battista in Florida and Hi-Grade in Pennsylvania offer good prices. I chose Battista because I could have an excellent Glen Hunting release installed right there. I must say I get some pleasure when I occasionally beat a K or P shooter.

Larry

7. buchholz

buchholz TS Member

I've had one since they first came out. I've had good performance from it and one modification I made was an adjustable pad done by Rod's Custom STocks (about 8 day turn around). Had the guys in Lincoln, Neb. check it out at the end of the first season and they had it back to me in 10 days. Then I got gutsy and didn't send it the end of the second season and I had the lower hammer spring break during a cold weather shoot and got it back from the Lincoln, Neb guys in 9 days round trip. So since then I just send it in when I can think of it as they don't sit on them in Lincoln, Neb they work on them and get them back quickly. To me that is a very positive thing.

Don Buchholz

Chesapeake, VA\

Keep on Keepin on.

8. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

Now ain't that someting. Not one reply on this thread naysayiny and pi**ing on the SKB and SKBTSS (I am considering getting one).

Appreciate all the replys but probably will get a riseout "of the usual suspects" now.

Mike Columbus

9. JLW

JLW TS Member

OK-I'll bring some ants to the picnic!

Everyone I know, who owns an SKB 85 TSS, really likes it. I don't own one. If you buy one, buy extra springs and learn how to install them, 'cause you will need to at some point. That seems to be the only weak link in that chain.-Jerald

10. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

Violinmaker
    Larry if you see this what is micromesh 3200? I would like to do that to my XT.
    Please reply to xxarchernf@earthlink.netxx
    Thanks Neil

11. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

I too would like to know what it is..sounds like very fine sanding screen? I have the 85TSS unsingle and it crushes birds. She just had her 1st birthday 3 weeks ago......no problems at all.

12. shadow

shadow Active Member

Dont have the combo, but wish I did. I really like the unsingle I have.

13. dodge ram

dodge ram Member

20,000 rounds thru an 85 tss combo, not one problem.

14. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I was able to take a test drive of an 85 TSS in doubles at thew Spring Grand.

Great gun shot it really will, really would like to buy it but I need another gun, like I need a hole in my head.

After walking off the field sunday evening almost every shooter still there had these words of wisdom.

Now that you won that trophy don't get stupid and sell that gun, it being and old A5 browning, and I still have designs on a lofty goal with it!

Al

15. JLW

JLW TS Member

I think 18,000 is a bit on the long side judging from the people I know who own them. What do the rest of you owners who have broken them say?-Jerald

16. bafreebird

bafreebird TS Member

i have a 85tss , i broke my first spring after 5000 rounds.i called skb and they sent me new a spring. i bought 2 extra. all you have to do is pull the stock off , and with a pair of plyers install the new spring. the left side spring will fit the right side.it only takes about 10 min. to fix.it is a very soft shooting gun. great gun for the money. bob ayers (ohio)

17. sundogs8

sundogs8 Member

I have 2 SKB 85TSS shotguns - the combo set and an over and under. They are the easiest shooting (handling, pointing, soft shooting) trap guns that I have had the good fortune to own. I have had the trap combo for a year and a half (25,000 - 30,000 rounds) and have broken one trigger spring and one sear spring. The folks at SKB are super. For the money, this is a lot of shotgun, but I don't think there is any gun out there that everyone will shoot equally well. You need to try one to see how it works for you. I am very pleased with both the gun and the company that stands behind it.

KEith Rich

18. bafreebird

bafreebird TS Member

LansingRodandGun... the reason i know the left side spring works on the right side, is that i did this to mine. worked just fine. bob

19. sundogs8

sundogs8 Member

Bob and Lansing - you are both right. The left hand spring is not exactly the same as the right hand spring - but it will work on the right side - a friend of mine has done it and was told by SKB that it would work. I meant to add to my earlier post the one thing that I didn't like with the 85TSS - trigger creep. Every 85TSS that I have handled has it as they come from the factory. We asked SKB about that at the Grand in 2005 and they told us that because of the design of the trigger that it couldn't be corrected. A friend of mine has figured out how to take the creep out of that trigger and has done it on 8 85TSS's so far - a big improvement!

Keith Rich

20. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

Well folks thanks for the information. I bit the bullet (so to speak) and ordered the combo with upgraded wood from Lynn Gipson. I hope to have it sometime next week. I talked with him at length (what a nice guy!) and we compared it to some of the other guns he carries. Regarding the trigger issues as of 2006 the trigger was redesigned, so there should not be anymore issues with that. He was a real gent to deal with. Thanks again folks,
    Neil R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

85 tss trigger timing

skb 85 ts