1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sizing Brass

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pedagogue, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

I can't find my sizing lube for resizing my rifle brass, can I use STOS or another substitute? jack

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

RCBS lube works well for me.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Try a non aerosol sizing lube like Dillon's DCL or Hornady's One Shot. These lubes are lanolin based, cheap, easy to use and don't contaminate your loads. You also don't have so many problems with lube dents in the neck areas that typically occur with pad type lubes. STOS is not a sizing lube.

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

Try the wax by either Tru-kote or Redding. I prefer it over the aerosol lubes and it cleans up way faster the RCBS lube. A little wax goes a long, long way.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Anybody ever tried Silicone Spray; a quick shot like any other aerosol? And, nix the STOS - no need to grease them.......breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I used to use powdered graphite which worked well but left your hands really dirty until I discovered a product sold at MidwayUSA. I can't think of its name right now but it comes in a small plastic container like a short prescription bottle filled with plastic beads. You add some of the same company's powdered lubricant (graphite?) to the beads, shake it around a little and then dip your cases into the container. It puts an invisible coating of lubricant on the outside of the case and inside of the neck and works great!

The product name was bugging me so I just checked on MidwayUSA and they no longer offer that product. The same company - Imperial - now calls it a "wax" but it apparently works the same.

Ed

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can use whatever you want, but just be sure to have a stuck case remover handy!

8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I've use a powder called Motor Mica. Lube the body, neck, etc. No chance of contaminating the powder with it. It's white, so won't stain your hands or clothes, either...

Kiv

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

think he is asking for something he has motor oil works but dont get anything to heavey as will crimp neck used STP for many years

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like paste wax, works great no clean up, and does not react with powder or primers. HMB

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

You can get lanolin at the drug store. A small tube (like toothpaste comes in is like $2.00.) Coat your finger tips and rub the case neck, so think tou cannot see it. Works good, does not contaminate the powder and makes your finger tips softer, just in case the Mrs. does not have a headache.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Robert T. on here told me about smearing some Chapstick on a flat plate or whatever and rolling your cases across it. Works good.

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When i've had really big sizing jobs..like a 50 BMG fired in a automatic weapon.. I use tri-flo on my hands.. wipe everthing down.. deprime.. resize.. trim to length.. then tumble clean and load.. Never a problem..

14. kd185

kd185 Member

for my 50 bmg match loads i use imperial sizing wax
    actually i use it on resizing all my rifle rounds

15. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

50% STP 50% mineral oil. Work some into a rag and roll cases on it. Keep some in a small dish to lube inside of neck. Dip tue neck of every 5th case in the dish not too deep.

16. chrisg

chrisg Member

PAM cooking spray works as good as the spray case lubes. Just tumble when done.

17. philk

philk Member

Crisco too.

18. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

STP...The same old can of it was on the loading bench at CST when I got there in 64 and and left in 65 and I'll bet it's only half gone now.

Jere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.