1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Size of shpt vs temp's?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

It has been said to use larger shot when it gets cold. Wondering what temp ranges would you use #81/2 & or #8 shot----thanx ---Phil ( I have a lot of # 81/2)---it never gets much colder than 40F in Eastern NC

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

When temps get down in the 40s with a little wind, I'll switch to 7 1/2s for the longer yardages. 8's will work for singles all year round. The 8 1/2s I reserve for the 7/8 oz loads or skeet. Other than that, just shoot what you have. I've not really noticed much difference with shot sizes in colder weather. I get more grief from powder, wad, or primer combinations.

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Don't worry bout the temp.....its best to use 8 1/2 ALL the time!

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I cannot see the difference in air density at cold temperatures as a factor in shot selection. Smaller shot will have less drag than larger shot but the larger shot will retain velocity better.

Hipshot 3 - I still like 7.5 shot from the 27.

Pat Ireland

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I used to hear that cold weather targets were more difficult to break...something about the moisture in them freezing and making them harder. The distributer that supplies our targets says that's nonsense; if the targets are not wet enough to freeze together then they they're not wet enough to be any more difficult to break; and if they ARE wet enough to freeze together, the trap can't throw them anyway so it doesn't matter!

Morgan

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like 7.5s all the time, just do.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I'm loading with reclaimed shot now...a pleasing mix of 6 to 8 1/2...even found a good number of "doubles", a pair of 8s welded together. Something for every occasion!

Morgan

8. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

Here in Ohio I personaly Use #8 shot 7/8oz loads(for practice) though i dont shot near as much as I used to,even in sub zero weather.Though when shooting protectors,etc in shootoffs from 90 yds back will load up somw #6's(#7.5's) for progranms,at any yardage!

9. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

It's hard to go wrong using 7.5's all the time regardless of anything. Any benefit gained by the additional pellets with smaller shot is off set by the loss in energy. The difference between 8's & 7.5's is much like the difference between a modified vs. a full choke, "Trivial".

cls

10. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I live in wny and use 8s all year if you do your part so will they.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

FlaLagarto certainly posted the correct advice on shot size. I use #8 for singles and doubles, 7.5 for handicap. I cannot justify my choice with any sound data on energy, speed retention or pattern analysis. My choices are simply the ones I feel best with on the line.

The only real change I make when it gets cold in Virginia is to travel to Florida in January and again in early March. I do believe there is a difference between shooting in 40 degrees temperature and 75 degrees.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.