1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Size of Loaded Shotshells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Al P, Apr 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al P

Al P TS Member

I reload my shells. I use a MEC 9000G on top of a Auto-Mate II. Recently, I disassembled certain stations on the MEC in order to perform resizing functions with some speed.

I need to know the exact length measurement of a loaded shell in order to reset the appropriate stations. The measurement given on the shell box is the standard 2 3/4 inch. However, a loaded shell (for a 2 3/4 inch chamber) is shorter and will expand to 2 3/4 inch after being fired. I do not have any factory loads from which to get the proper length when loaded.

Thanks,

Al P

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

?????????

3. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Al-

Don't get too wrapped up on length- concentrate your efforts on a good, proper depth crimp without a hole in the center or excessive "swirl".

You can view the owner's manual at the website above, if you use Mec's instructions from the manual for your loader it is quite easy to get everything "dialed in".

4. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

2.3 inches

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Friend, the length of the empty case will limit the completed shell to a safe and functional length. Ohio Mike said it well. Now this assumes you crimp them closed because otherwise all those pellets roll out the end of your barrel and everyone laughs at you.

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I think someone has made a mistake here 2 3/4 inches is 2.75. Yet an answer was given of "2.3 inches" was given a difference .45 inches. That is amazing as .5 inches is one 1/2 inch.

According to these numbers pulling the trigger on a loaded shell sure does seem to grow the shell an awful lot.....LOL

BTW wireguy don't forget an excessively long empty hull, loaded on a properly adjusted machine will adversely effect the final crimp on the finished shell.

Bob Lawless

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

ivanhoe,

I'll be a lot nicer than the others. Go check a loaded shell length and an empty one with a tape measure. Then come back and edit your post.

I did copy and paste your remarks for the world too see though.

"I think someone has made a mistake here 2 3/4 inches is 2.75. Yet an answer was given of "2.3 inches" was given a difference .45 inches. That is amazing as .5 inches is one 1/2 inch."

"According to these numbers pulling the trigger on a loaded shell sure does seem to grow the shell an awful lot.....LOL"

ss

8. ivanhoe

short shucker

"Go check a loaded shell length and an empty one with a tape measure."

Just about what I figured take a precision measurement with a tape measure. Spoken like someone that doesn't have a clue.....LOL

Bob Lawless

9. Al P

Al P TS Member

Thanks for the input.

2.3 inches sounds right. It is consistent with my reloads. However, I wanted to compare with others.

Thanks again.

Al P

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Yes, a shell does grow in length when it is fired. The crimp folds out making the shell longer by about 1/2 inch.

Pat Ireland

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Someday Bob Lawless will learn to put his brain in gear before opening his mouth!

12. ivanhoe

Ahab well a perfect time for your big mouth to back up your Canary AZZ. Tell us Mr. knowitall just how many did you measure with your accurate "Tap Measure"???? Remember now the person that started this thread asked,

"I need to know the exact length measurement of a loaded shell in order to reset the appropriate stations"

That is as the key word says EXACT length now a "Tape Measure" ball park figure. While you are at it what is the EXACT length of the hull after it has been fired??? Is it EXACTLY 2 3/4 inches???

Well you have a nice night now. BTW it your turn the ball is in your court.

Bob Lawless

13. ivanhoe

Well Ahab a Little over 24 hours ago you came in and played Hero, Dragon Slayer, Or what ever your point was. You made your comments and I asked a series of questions.

Well it would seem you don't have the Ba**s to answer them. So in the future if you aren't going to back up your big mouth. Do everyone a favor keep it shut it isn't needed.

You attack me when I haven't said a word to you, it would seem you are a gutless wonder!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

14. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Bob, have you been a smart ass all your life? Or is that something that just came about rece3ntly? Just wondering. lol

And, knowing ya are gonna slang out a bunch of garbage back to me, just let 'er rip. I'm a big boy, I can handle it.

15. mjsweims

mjsweims Member

A 2-3/4" shell is 2-3/4" after firing or before crimping, same as a 3" shell is 3" after firing or before crimping.
    As has already been said adjust your loader so the shot doesn't fall out of the finished shell and the crimp isn't swirled. About 2.3 is right for a 2-3/4" shell.
    Jack

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

trapshootin hippie,

Bob refers to think of it as, "heaven sent". Lol.

ss

17. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

ss,

"heaven sent" now that's some kinda dreaming. Course, I can see where he might kinda think that way about himself, nobody else will, so someone has to do it, right?

18. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Well ... I think it is time for Neil to show us some charts on the length of factory loaded shells ... including standard deviation within brands and type
    verses brands.

Then we can tell Bob lawless that he is as full of crap as a Christmas Turkey!

19. ivanhoe

trapshootin hippie

"have you been a smart ass all your life? Or is that something that just came about rece3ntly? Just wondering. lol"

I am just wondering do you see a difference in that statement and this one other than the obvious?

"According to these numbers pulling the trigger on a loaded shell sure does seem to grow the shell an awful lot.....LOL"

Now other people say these type of thing all the time yourself included. Yet you don't get the crap I get from these other types of idiots. Such as,

"Someday Bob Lawless will learn to put his brain in gear before opening his mouth!"

"I'll be a lot nicer than the others. Go check a loaded shell length and an empty one with a tape measure. Then come back and edit your post."

I said nothing other than a lightly humorous slant on the subject. What do I get crap from someone I haven't responded to more than a half a dozen time.(Ahab)

Also the last thing I would use to get an exact measurement of anything is a tape measure. Yet he think(short shucker)that I should edit my post after using one. Gee that sure demonstrates his level of knowledge about measurements doesn't it????

So Hippie seeing how you jumped into this tell me why I can't say something in jest/fun with out being attacked by certain low lives. Yet anyone else that wishes to say something in jest/fun doesn't get treated the same way?

If you or anyone else wants to discuss a topic I am willing. If I take a certain stance/opinion on a particular subject and you disagree that is your right. If however you can't change my stance/opinion then I guess you will have to live with that. As it is my right to live with and stick with my stance/opinion. So now I get attacked for finding humor in a thread. The same thread I might add that you just found something humorous to comment about and as a matter fact so didn't SS in his last post. Although I must admit he didn't seem to state it very well....LOL.

BTW Ahab I measured a bunch of different shells right out of the box(brand new never been fired)I cant find one out of a dozen that is 2.3 inches. Oh and I didn't use a "Tape Measure" either Big Mouth. I also can state my own case with out having Neil do my fighting for me. Typical you shot off your big mouth and now you want Neil or someone else to do your fighting for you. As I said a gutless wonder.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.